Hitch's The Magic Shop street location

Rodster

September 14th, 2018, 6:43 pm #1

The Magic Shop (1964) is a great episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and one of my favorites. A pivotal scene takes place in the magic shop itself. From the outside, it's on an old street with "stoops," and to reach the shop, one must descend some small stairs to the shop below. A huge window can be seen from street level. Since seeing that episode two years back on MeTV, I've noticed the magic shop location and its accompanying street so many times, I've lost count. Just last night, I was watching "A Patch of Blue" on Turner, and Sidney Poitier walked Elizabeth Hartman home, and they pass by a redressed magic shop and the familiar stoops. It's used CONSTANTLY on Mannix, which was a Paramount production (the street is part of the Universal backlot). Not only does Mannix use the shop location often, there's an alleyway, a movie theater, and the location of his office itself--which isn't too far from where the square where Universal filmed its classic horrors. Also, some of the music cues in The Magic Shop episode were used on Thriller, most specifically the Christopher Lee devil worship episode. Even What's the Matter with Helen takes place on the Magic Shop street! 

From what I've seen on a YouTube video, that location still exists. Is it still being used? 

rvoyttbots

September 15th, 2018, 4:42 am #2

The Lee devil worship episode was actually from THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR. 

Rodster

September 15th, 2018, 6:32 am #3

Was it? Then no wonder they used the same music!

rvoyttbots

September 16th, 2018, 4:06 am #4

I watched all 8-seasons of MANNIX & those streets were used over and over and over again. I believe the original Universal monsters "square" was destroyed in the 1967 fire.