Rick

September 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm #21

I gotya Hercules ryecheer.

alex.jpg
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

blufeld

September 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm #22

I think, in the movies, they went the right way (body builder vs. power lifter).  I can't imagine Vasili Alexeyev as Herc. or Goliath, or Samson, etc.

Grant

September 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm #23

There's a rule that says that a given bodybuilder is no stronger, and very often less strong, than a given athlete of any other kind, which is probably a pretty a pretty big generalization. And since people usually go overboard with generalizations, there's probably also the idea of them being just plain weak. I've said this several times, but look at all those comedies and dramas where an "Everyman" (or woman) beats up the bully with the bodybuilder look. So it's ALMOST surprising that Peplum films decided to do that kind of casting. Sure, Steve Reeves has that general look that everyone mentions, but he was followed by so many other bodybuilders. It's almost easy to imagine the Peplum films casting actors with that Keving Sorbo look instead.

Jobla

September 16th, 2018, 10:17 pm #24

I think that HERCULES was released in 1957 in Italy.  No sequel was planned at that time.  The unexpectedly boffo boxoffice provoked the notion of a sequel.  It's possible that Joseph E. Levine pushed the sequel into fruition when his US distribution of HERCULES became a smashing success.

blufeld

September 17th, 2018, 2:28 pm #25

Jobla, where did you get your info on no sequel planned?

Jobla

September 17th, 2018, 7:55 pm #26

Probably from a book about either Reeves or the peplum genre.  If I can find the exact source, I'll mention it here.  When they made the first film, they had no idea that it would become a boxoffice bonanza, first in Europe and then in the US (thanks to Joseph E. Levine's importing it and rolling it out with his saturation advertising blitz).