GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE (1972)

Halloween and Jaws kick off new era of chills and blockbusters.
amanaplan1

June 23rd, 2018, 7:38 pm #61

I watched the film again after your post and thought, Hmmm, seems OK to me.  It's movie magic!

Jameselliot

June 23rd, 2018, 9:05 pm #62

This is the only movie I can think of that has two vampires fighting.

amanaplan1

June 23rd, 2018, 9:31 pm #63

Well, in GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO COUNT DRACULA?, Count Adrian briefly battles with a fanged guy who ends up in an empty tiger's cage.

I seem to recall a vampire vs. vampire brawl in a Chinese hopping vampire flick from the '80s, but no details.

In DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS, a vampire doctor convinces hubby Donald Sutherland to stake his newlywed bride because she's a vampire, too.  So in that sense, there's a "battle."

EDIT: VAMPIRE VS VAMPIRE (1989) features a boy jiangshi (Chinese "hopping" vampire) helping the "One-Eyebrow Priest" and some nuns fight a more Western-type of vampire.  (It's one of my favorite vampire flicks, and has the best "revive-the-vampire" scene I've ever seen.)
Last edited by amanaplan1 on June 24th, 2018, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jameselliot

June 23rd, 2018, 9:47 pm #64

amanaplan1 wrote: Well, in GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO COUNT DRACULA?, Count Adrian briefly battles with a fanged guy who ends up in an empty tiger's cage.

I seem to recall a vampire vs. vampire brawl in a Chinese hopping vampire flick from the '80s, but no details.

In DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS, a vampire doctor convinces hubby Donald Sutherland to stake his newlywed bride because she's a vampire, too.  So in that sense, there's a "battle."
A furniture-smashing, glass-shattering, chain-whipping, WWF-style brawl.

Grant
Grant

June 24th, 2018, 12:34 am #65

I've liked William Smith in some untypical roles, and this is one of them. There's also INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS, where his character is a lot more than an action hero, and also the COLUMBO episode "The Greenhouse Jungle" where he plays a gigolo character (a sort of "classic" early ' 70's one) pretty convincingly.

John Bernhard

June 24th, 2018, 4:41 am #66

Jameselliot wrote:
amanaplan1 wrote: Well, in GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO COUNT DRACULA?, Count Adrian briefly battles with a fanged guy who ends up in an empty tiger's cage.

A furniture-smashing, glass-shattering, chain-whipping, WWF-style brawl.
There are a couple vamp on vamp skirmishes in COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE, 
including a pretty good brawl between Paul Naschy & Vic Winner,  but the GOTV battle probably takes the prize.

amanaplan1

June 24th, 2018, 11:55 am #67

Is there one in MALENKA?

Jameselliot

June 24th, 2018, 9:53 pm #68

In almost 100 years of vampire cinema, how there could be only one smash-up between two bloodsuckers? 

Werewolf of London had the fight between Hull and Oland. One of the reasons I like the Wolfman remake was the brawl between the two werewolves. 

grgstv338

June 25th, 2018, 3:06 pm #69

To be accurate, though... William Smith isn't a "full" vampire (with fangs) until after he's killed his dad.

Jameselliot

June 26th, 2018, 3:40 am #70

grgstv338 wrote: To be accurate, though... William Smith isn't a "full" vampire (with fangs) until after he's killed his dad.
He was fed blood when growing up by his mother (how long that was going on is not explained) and he's superstrong. So he's mostly there. Pataki's not traditional either. He uses sharp instruments to create throat wounds in some of his victims. David Chase's take on vampires was very different from the Lugosi/Lee/Quarry school.

amanaplan1

June 26th, 2018, 9:30 am #71

Smith's character is half human, half vampire.  He eats raw meat and he's tempted to bite his lady friend's neck -- but, like Spock, he can and does keep the "distasteful" side more or less under control.  I don't think we ever see him actually walking around in bright sunlight or during the daytime, though...

MikeTheMook

June 26th, 2018, 11:18 am #72

amanaplan1 wrote: Smith's character is half human, half vampire.  He eats raw meat and he's tempted to bite his lady friend's neck -- but, like Spock, he can and does keep the "distasteful" side more or less under control.  I don't think we ever see him actually walking around in bright sunlight or during the daytime, though...
You're right, we don't. But I'm pretty sure one of the leading ladies says something to Smith like "I'd swear you were a vampire if I hadn't seen you walking around in the daytime."
Check out my NEW childrens story book! https://www.createspace.com/4065369

Please visit my online store at
www.Cafepress.com/mwcoolpix for COOL photos and designs!

Please visit my OTHER online store at www.Zazzle.com/mwimages for MORE cool stuff!

grgstv338

June 26th, 2018, 5:10 pm #73

Daddy Dearest Caleb Croft is shown as a full vampire (sleeping in a coffin or something similar, running from the daylight, flashing fangs, etc.).

Yes, he does usually slice open his victims' throat before drinking their blood.  I took it to mean that was a way either to hide evidence of a vampire or perhaps avoid creating other unwanted vampires (although he does bite his first victim, the young guy in the graveyard, very enthusiastically on the neck and also chows down on one of the blondes at the seance while he strangles the other).

As for the son, James Eastman, he's shown not to be a full vampire (yes, a hybrid, if you like).  Although his Mom feeds him her own blood while nursing and he apparently eats practically raw meat, he doesn't sleep in a coffin and we do see the character during the daylight (it's a brief scene of him as a young boy being raised by his mom and her friend Olga; we see him at the park, standing in the shadows under a tree, watching the other boys play).

That's why the ending is a big deal... with his father now dead, Eastman seems to have come into his "full birthright" - sprouting fangs (a bit too comically large, IMHO!) and shouting for his girlfriend Anne to run away.  Now he's not sure he can control himself!

Boy, this is a movie I'd love to have on Blu-ray. 😀

Godziwolf

July 5th, 2018, 7:51 pm #74

Jameselliot wrote: This is the only movie I can think of that has two vampires fighting.
The Blade trilogy has vampire-on-vampire violence.

Jameselliot

July 5th, 2018, 8:57 pm #75

Godziwolf wrote:
Jameselliot wrote: This is the only movie I can think of that has two vampires fighting.
I didn't think of Blade at all and I'd bought the DVD trilogy (that I never watched after I bought it). Shows what an impression all 3 films made on me.

July 10th, 2018, 3:54 pm #76

Jameselliot wrote:I didn't think of Blade at all and I'd bought the DVD trilogy (that I never watched after I bought it). Shows what an impression all 3 films made on me.
Wow, I thought it was one of them viral ads for cologne

Godziwolf

July 10th, 2018, 5:44 pm #77

Jameselliot wrote:
Godziwolf wrote:
I didn't think of Blade at all and I'd bought the DVD trilogy (that I never watched after I bought it). Shows what an impression all 3 films made on me.
Nor the Underworld series, which has vampire-on-vampire, werewolf-on-werewolf, and vampire-on-werewolf violence, as well as hybrid werepires.

Kelg
Kelg

July 10th, 2018, 9:05 pm #78

The librarian scene cracks me up. Pataki thinks his powers are working on her then he (and the audience) realize she was just playing a weird head game with him.

When watching it I assumed Betta St John (from City of the Dead) was  the Anne Arthur character until I saw the credits.

amanaplan1

July 10th, 2018, 9:42 pm #79

That was Lyn Peters, who was a gorgeous blonde.  No idea what happened to her after this flick.

Bluesman Mark

July 14th, 2018, 1:07 am #80

I love this movie! All I have it on is the old Alpha DVD, (& in a collection of other public domain flicks, hell, I might have it on two collections!), & would love to see a cleaned up print.

I first rented it on VHS 30 or so years ago, after reading & hearing about it for years. It did not disappoint!

Hmmmmm, it's been a few years, I might have to dig it out & watch it tonight!