Forrest J Ackerman's #MeToo Moment ...

The best of monster fun and research.
will

May 14th, 2018, 6:35 pm #2081

She will probably make herself out to be, or her lawyers will, a brainwashed, sexually abused victim of a cult leader.

Monsterpal

May 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm #2082

The cult of vaulting ambition.

Crow T Robot

May 14th, 2018, 7:08 pm #2083

Ya gotta wonder, though...what normal person would get into that type of situation?  Gotta have a couple of screws loose.  

Wich2

May 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm #2084

That's been my basic point through all of this:

ALL normal people have a few screws loose. 

It's part of being a garden-variety, flawed human being.

But how MANY, and how LOOSE, makes all the difference.

From the best folks we're blessed to know, solidly constructed, with only only one or two pieces (that we may not even notice) just shy of that last twist or two -

- all the way down to the obviously dangerous wrecks, lurching noisily thorough life smashing destructively into others, sometimes even with parts dropping off as they shamble along.

And with every degree of variation in between.

gene phillips

May 14th, 2018, 9:21 pm #2085

taraco wrote: My goodness, can we acknowledge we are in the 21st Century?

Many 'straight' people hang out with gay people. Hardly worth mentioning.
Reductio ad absurdum (Latin for "reduction to absurdity"; also argumentum ad absurdum, "argument to absurdity") is a form of argument which attempts either to disprove a statement by showing it inevitably leads to a ridiculous, absurd, or impractical conclusion, or to prove one by showing that if it were not true, the result would be absurd or impossible.-- Wikipedia
The intent of the post was that there was no more sound logic in presuming that Person A was into Fetish B because he communicated with Fetish-Person C than there is in the proposition that Person X hanging out with Group Y must also belong to Group Y.

Rakshasa

May 15th, 2018, 12:30 pm #2086

yokoflippi1 wrote:  Maybe it's because most of the adults in my young life were authority figures, and I learned at an early age that not all adults are nice and nurturing and friendly. Either they were yelling at me, slapping me, strapping me with a belt, telling me what to do "in no uncertain terms" or punishing me by taking away privileges or just because they'd had a bad day, and I was talking too loudly. Forry never did anything like that. He was completely and utterly unique, an older, portly gent who knew about horror films, loved silent sci-fi, and opened my eyes to a world of wonder. 
Yeahhhh, but "Forry" was a face in a magazine. He wasn't your parent or school teacher or other human being that was physically in your real life. 

You might as well be comparing Santa Claus to your parents here. "Santa Claus never made me eat my vegetables like my parents did. He was a good guy who delivered toys and lived in a castle at The North Pole... and he'll always be that to me."

What I'm saying is, a kid could choose anyone or anything to project idealism onto. 
Hey, how much for the Buick?

Crow T Robot

May 15th, 2018, 2:17 pm #2087

Was Ackerman always thought of as the face of "Famous Monsters?"  Back when the mag was being published I saw a lot about Ackerman, but I also saw James Warren throughout.  I knew Ackerman was the editor / writer / photo provider, and Warren was the publisher / guy behind the magazine.  And since Warren publishing produced a lot of other mags, his name was all over the place.  And I always knew Captain Company was just part of Warren Publishing.

I think Ackerman kind of became the face of FM after he left it and Warren Publishing went bankrupt.  Ackerman was at a lot of cons, and was always talking about himself and monster fandom.  

At what point did fans start saying things like "Forry Ackerman IS Famous Monsters?"  To me he was a part of the mag, but not THE magazine, and Warren had a lot to do with it.  And, in time, I learned Warren had a LOT to do with FM.

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

May 15th, 2018, 2:49 pm #2088

Ackerman was always the face of Famous Monsters.

Warren was the publisher and the name of the company, but he was rarely a public presence editorially. If indeed Warren had input into the tone and layout and such, we kids never knew that.

Of course I'm coming from reading FM near the very beginning, starting with, I think #7. I never read any FMs in the 70s and beyond until the revival in the late 90s. Missed all the Star Wars issues and such. So when I was reading all the stories were by Forry, or so we thought.

Wich2

May 15th, 2018, 3:29 pm #2089

Rakshasa wrote: You might as well be comparing Santa Claus to your parents here. "Santa Claus never made me eat my vegetables like my parents did. He was a good guy who delivered toys and lived in a castle at The North Pole... and he'll always be that to me."
^This. So much, this.^

"Peter Pan flew with children, Lois. In a fairy tale."

DonM435

May 15th, 2018, 4:18 pm #2090

Yeah, I’ve seen this from both sides. Parents have to step in and do unpopular things to impose some discipline on the kids’ lives. Uncles and aunts can get away with being cool, more so proportionate to their distance.

Crow T Robot

May 15th, 2018, 5:30 pm #2091

Funny, but I always recall seeing James Warren in FM.  Not as much as Ackerman, but I remember seeing his photo here and there, (enough that I knew what he looked like the next time I'd see a photo of him), recall seeing publisher "editorials," seeing him at the FM cons in New York in the 70s, seeing him made up as a comical Frankenstein Monster on stage and in the pages of FM...so he wasn't just an unknown back during the days of the original FM.  Yeah, he wasn't publicized as much as Ackerman, but he wasn't just an unknown, either.

to me, Ackerman truly became the face of FM after he left the mag, and Warren went into seclusion.  

Even today, many people here talk as though Ackerman was everything in FM, even questioning about things sold in the back pages through Captain Company.  Funny thing is, many people remember and talk about the look of FM - the covers, the graphics, the monster fonts, the layouts, the full page photos, the Captain Company ads...none of which had anything to do with Ackerman.  Not many articles (if any) articles actually written by Ackerman are mentioned.  We remember the bad puns, but I can't recall anyone saying such and such articles were amazing.  And those we remember - often written by others.  

Just my humble opinion.  

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

May 15th, 2018, 5:51 pm #2092

Much of that has come to light after. For me, those early issues were Forry's, at least in how they were presented to young readers.

I didn't really connect with Jim Warren as a power until CREEPY and the other magazines emerged.

amanaplan1

May 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm #2093

Ackerman’s face seemed to appear in every issue.

(Anyone see the photo gallery extras on the Vinegar Syndrome DVD of ORGY OF THE DEAD?)

HalLane

May 15th, 2018, 6:01 pm #2094

Ackerman came across as the big kid, Warren as the business-like grown-up playboy. Sort of a good cop/bad cop situation.

Only now, we question which one was the good cop.

R.C.Merchant

May 16th, 2018, 11:52 pm #2095

I'm sorry I went nuts the other day. 
I just feel like Forry stabbed me in the back. I LOVED FM when I was a kid. It just freaks me out to find out he was such a scumbag.
Plus I was little drunk...

Monsterpal

May 17th, 2018, 12:07 am #2096

R.C.Merchant wrote: I'm sorry I went nuts the other day. 
I just feel like Forry stabbed me in the back. I LOVED FM when I was a kid. It just freaks me out to find out he was such a scumbag.
I think we all feel that way, RC. I know I do.

will

May 17th, 2018, 2:26 am #2097

I don't feel that way. I hardly looked at his magazine. I see him as a flawed person, but there is a tendency with a lot of the people posting here to be all out or all in. I don't understand the worship, but also don't see him as a demon either.

yokoflippi1

May 17th, 2018, 4:27 am #2098

Rakshasa wrote:
yokoflippi1 wrote:  Maybe it's because most of the adults in my young life were authority figures, and I learned at an early age that not all adults are nice and nurturing and friendly. Either they were yelling at me, slapping me, strapping me with a belt, telling me what to do "in no uncertain terms" or punishing me by taking away privileges or just because they'd had a bad day, and I was talking too loudly. Forry never did anything like that. He was completely and utterly unique, an older, portly gent who knew about horror films, loved silent sci-fi, and opened my eyes to a world of wonder. 
Yeahhhh, but "Forry" was a face in a magazine. He wasn't your parent or school teacher or other human being that was physically in your real life. 

You might as well be comparing Santa Claus to your parents here. "Santa Claus never made me eat my vegetables like my parents did. He was a good guy who delivered toys and lived in a castle at The North Pole... and he'll always be that to me."

What I'm saying is, a kid could choose anyone or anything to project idealism onto. 
What? Santa Claus? To me, Santa Claus was limited to the period from Thanksgiving to Christmas. And last I checked, he isn't real. I encountered Forry with every new issue of Famous Monsters and later, Monster World. Being made to eat my vegetables is a bit different than getting strapped with a belt as I'm running away in a panic, so yeah, Forry never did that. At least, not to me. 

will

May 17th, 2018, 4:32 am #2099

Forry was just in your magazine.

May 17th, 2018, 5:19 am #2100

R.C.Merchant wrote: I'm sorry I went nuts the other day. 
Plus I was little drunk...
Don't feel bad.  When I realized I'd been idolizing a scumbag, I had a mini-meltdown amid anguished cries of "I'll never watch those dumb old monster movies again!"  Then I watched FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN and everything was fine again. 
"I should like to think that an irate Jehovah, was pointing those arrows of lightning directly at my head!"