Rodster
Member
Joined: August 22nd, 2017, 1:30 pm

July 19th, 2018, 10:51 pm #3521

Just saw a trailer for Titans, which really surprised me. In one scene, Robin says, "f**k Batman!"
Quote
Like
Share

Blaster
Member
Joined: June 14th, 2018, 11:58 pm

August 4th, 2018, 11:27 pm #3522

Writer-Director Matt Reeves talks about his almost completed script for THE BATMAN:

"We’re not doing any particular [comic]. Year One is one of the many comic books that I love. We are definitely not doing Year One. It’s just exciting to be focused very specifically on a tale that is defining for him and very personal to him. Obviously we’re not doing an origin tale or anything like that. We’re doing a story that is definitively Batman though and trying to tell a story that’s emotional and yet is really about him being the world’s greatest detective and all the things that for me, since I was a kid, made me love Batman.

I’ve talked about making it a very point of view noir-driven definitive Batman story in which he is investigating a particular case and that takes us out into the world of Gotham. I went on a deep dive again revisiting all my favorite comics. Those all inform by osmosis. There’s no continuation of the Nolan films. It’s very much trying to find a way to do this as something that for me is going to be definitively Batman and new and cool."
Quote
Like
Share

Crow T Robot
Member
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 11:28 pm

August 5th, 2018, 11:55 am #3523

Isn't it funny how there are a lot of great comic book stories out there that fans LOVE, and then when they decide to make movies out of these comic book characters, the writers and directors almost go out of their way to avoid bringing those stories to life..."We're not doing The Dark Knight Returns...we're not doing Year One..."

I wonder how people would have reacted a few years ago if they said they were going to bring Harry Potter to the silver screen, and they announced, "But were not doing any of the books!  This will be an all new story!"

I aways felt that they could have varied movies - one set in the 1940s, one in modern times, one based on the "classic" comic book character, the Dark Knight Returns series...

They kind of do that with animated films and TV shows.  But not with live action films.    

Oh, and I LOVED the Teen Titans Go movie.  
Quote
Like
Share

Blaster
Member
Joined: June 14th, 2018, 11:58 pm

August 5th, 2018, 2:18 pm #3524

Crow T Robot wrote: Isn't it funny how there are a lot of great comic book stories out there that fans LOVE, and then when they decide to make movies out of these comic book characters, the writers and directors almost go out of their way to avoid bringing those stories to life..."We're not doing The Dark Knight Returns...we're not doing Year One..."

 
To be fair, though, a lot of elements of The Dark Knight Returns and Year One have been used in the live action films.  And the new JOKER film appears be using elements from The Killing Joke.  
Quote
Like
Share

HalLane
Member
Joined: October 16th, 2005, 5:18 am

August 5th, 2018, 4:04 pm #3525

True, Blaster. And in all that, we've seen young Batman, old Batman, exile Batman. They haven't really touched on Batman's bread and butter years. You know, the World's Greatest Detective.

Sounds like Reeves is on the right track.
Quote
Like
Share

Wich2
Member
Joined: September 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm

August 6th, 2018, 6:44 pm #3526

God bless Reeves - as Hal says, this sounds promising...

But Crow's right, too:

Geez, Prose Lit Classics have inspired enough great Motion Pictures - why not Graphic Lit classics?

FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? - THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN (Siegel's '60s original) - THE ORIGIN OF BATMAN (Bill Finger's great Joe Chill saga) - Etc.
Quote
Like
Share

Robert Troch
Member
Joined: October 8th, 2007, 4:20 pm

August 7th, 2018, 3:44 am #3527

Wich2 wrote: God bless Reeves - as Hal says, this sounds promising...

But Crow's right, too:

Geez, Prose Lit Classics have inspired enough great Motion Pictures - why not Graphic Lit classics?

FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? - THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN (Siegel's '60s original) - THE ORIGIN OF BATMAN (Bill Finger's great Joe Chill saga) - Etc.
  Yes to both points Craig. Who knows with WB's though???

          Robert T.
Quote
Like
Share

Blaster
Member
Joined: June 14th, 2018, 11:58 pm

August 7th, 2018, 3:02 pm #3528

Reeves has one advantage -- he has the Burton, Schumacher, Nolan and Snyder films to learn from.

Meanwhile I see that the Flash feature film will go into production in February.  This one seems risky.  By the time it comes out, it will be competing with half a decade or more of the Flash TV series.  This schizophrenia between the DC movies and TV shows always strikes me as odd, as if the feature filmmakers are in  complete denial of the existence of the TV shows.   
Quote
Like
Share

HalLane
Member
Joined: October 16th, 2005, 5:18 am

August 7th, 2018, 6:17 pm #3529

And now there's talk of a Supergirl film too.

Reinterpretation of familiar characters seems to be the modus operanDC.
Quote
Like
Share

Wich2
Member
Joined: September 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm

August 7th, 2018, 11:47 pm #3530

Blaster wrote:   This schizophrenia between the DC movies and TV shows always strikes me as odd, as if the feature filmmakers are in  complete denial of the existence of the TV shows.   
B., with respect:

I've made that point several times in the past, from the lame aborting of Bruce Wayne in SMALLVILLE, through the inane recasting of Barry in the movie, and I think elsewhere. And if I recall aright, you took me to task, upholding the imaginary line between Feature and TV (which I maintain is a pointless holdover from the Fifties.)

-Craig
Quote
Like
Share

Blaster
Member
Joined: June 14th, 2018, 11:58 pm

August 8th, 2018, 12:26 am #3531

Wich2 wrote:
Blaster wrote:   This schizophrenia between the DC movies and TV shows always strikes me as odd, as if the feature filmmakers are in  complete denial of the existence of the TV shows.   
B., with respect:

I've made that point several times in the past, from the lame aborting of Bruce Wayne in SMALLVILLE, through the inane recasting of Barry in the movie, and I think elsewhere. And if I recall aright, you took me to task, upholding the imaginary line between Feature and TV (which I maintain is a pointless holdover from the Fifties.)

-Craig
The imaginary line was a very real line between features and television until recent times when television suddenly jumped up and eclipsed theatrical films in terms of quality and viewership.   

And although I support DC's decision to make feature films that may clash with the continuity of their TV stuff, it's really just from the point of view of supporting creative freedom.  Whereas the Marvel movie and TV universes have been fairly tight ass and consistent, DC seems to be swinging at any ball that comes over the plate.   They're trying.  Desperately!

So when you mention the "inane" casting of Barry Allen in the DC movies, you're saying... what?  That the FLASH feature should be a big screen version of the Grant Gustin show?  
Quote
Like
Share

HalLane
Member
Joined: October 16th, 2005, 5:18 am

August 8th, 2018, 1:36 am #3532

Casting Grant Gustin in JUSTICE LEAGUE would have meant dragging the whole "Arrowverse" along with him - how could it not? As much as I like Gustin in FLASH, that would have been a real mess.

Most people had trouble figuring out why Superman was all of a sudden 'dead', much less dealing with all that baggage.
Quote
Like
Share

Wich2
Member
Joined: September 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm

August 8th, 2018, 1:42 am #3533

>Blaster: The imaginary line was a very real line between features and television until recent times when television suddenly jumped up and eclipsed theatrical films in terms of quality and viewership.<

That "recent" is problematic... Because I think that (as usual) the Suits were behind (way behind) he curve of the Audience. 

In the Fifties, folks saw George Reeves as Superman in the Movies and on TV; in the Sixties, they saw Adam West as Batman on TV and in the Movies. 

I don't recall any examples of that causing heads to explode from some imagined dissonance.   

>Blaster: you mention the "inane" casting of Barry Allen in the DC movies, you're saying... what?  That the FLASH feature should be a big screen version of the Grant Gustin show?<

No. (Though the problem of giving that successful, established set up more money and polish would be a problem - how? The TREK TOS format and cast seems to have done okay at the Flickers.)

But the main point is that the Property Holders, DC/Warners, already had a well-cast, publicly-accepted Barry/Flash. What, other than a gainless lateral move, was accomplished by putting before the public a DIFFERENT (but similar) actor in a similarly conceived take on the SAME character?

- Craig
Quote
Like
Share

Blaster
Member
Joined: June 14th, 2018, 11:58 pm

August 8th, 2018, 2:08 am #3534

Wich2 wrote:

But the main point is that the Property Holders, DC/Warners, already had a well-cast, publicly-accepted Barry/Flash. What, other than a gainless lateral move, was accomplished by putting before the public a DIFFERENT (but similar) actor in a similarly conceived take on the SAME character?

- Craig
Because... the feature and TV divisions move at a different speeds?

What's your take?
Quote
Like
Share

Wich2
Member
Joined: September 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm

August 8th, 2018, 3:57 pm #3535

Blaster wrote:
What's your take?
I already stated it.

Simply (and for me, somewhat sadly), this is yet another area where Marvel has been infinitely more savvy than DC.

Signed,
- A DC Man

P.S. - As a TREK insider, you probably know well that The Great Bird considered many names for THE MOTIONLESS PICTURE, to possibly recast the original crew. (After all, this was Feature, not TeeVee!) Thankfully, he realized that would be stoopid.
Quote
Like
Share

Blaster
Member
Joined: June 14th, 2018, 11:58 pm

August 8th, 2018, 4:07 pm #3536

What I've been trying to figure out is the thinking (or non-thinking) that goes into these DC decisions.  Marvel is cohesive and I think a lot of that has to do with the leadership of Kevin Feige and the fact that the TV shows are allowed to exist with the films without contradicting them.   In other words, the films dictate what the TV shows can do.  But at DC/Warners when it comes to film and TV, I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.  
Quote
Like
Share

Wich2
Member
Joined: September 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm

August 9th, 2018, 1:18 am #3537

Blaster wrote: What I've been trying to figure out is the thinking (or non-thinking) that goes into these DC decisions.  Marvel is cohesive
"Non -."

(And haven't a few of us been maintaining that - often to cries of derision - for quite some time?)
Quote
Like
Share

Robert Troch
Member
Joined: October 8th, 2007, 4:20 pm

August 10th, 2018, 7:45 pm #3538

Wich2 wrote:
Blaster wrote: What I've been trying to figure out is the thinking (or non-thinking) that goes into these DC decisions.  Marvel is cohesive
"Non -."

(And haven't a few of us been maintaining that - often to cries of derision - for quite some time?)
      They still seem to be throwin mud against the wall in the film universe. Now a Supergirl movie is being bandied about. We have also heard about Batgirl, Flashpoint, Cyborg, MOS 2, Batman, JLA dark, SS 2, Birds of Prey and other films that may or may not happen. There has never seemed to have been much of a plan so "cohesion" has never been part of the picture here. 

    As far as the film/TV differences there has never been any of anything between the 2. AT ALL. Using Gustin as the Flash would have been a problem because they would have probably had to have included those other characters from "team Flash" and there is no point of bringing all of them aboard too. Tell the truth I am getting pretty tired of the "team Flash" format on that show anyway.

              Robert T.
Quote
Like
Share