Colorful reasons why THE LOST WORLD (1960) is a good time

From Price and Poe to Night of the Living Dead.
Robert Summit

July 10th, 2018, 6:03 am #81

I'll take this version over the 1925 any day!
"Mom! Don't bother me now! I'm posting on the Classic Horror Film Board!"

horrorfilmx

July 10th, 2018, 11:23 am #82

This seems to be one of those movies that people love to hate because everyone else hates it. Gives them a nice warm feeling of community, you know? Also I detect a undertone of smug superiority among the bashers. That sort of thing is a given in "film criticism", of course, which is why the web is crammed with self styled "critics". But I still find it just a tad obnoxious. 

Wich2

July 10th, 2018, 2:10 pm #83

The lizardsaurs look phony, and there's a sense of abuse there.

Rains is just too old for the robust Challenger.

The sex stuff is Sixties Silly.

Other than that...

The Silent is good for the time; but my favorite is the Bob Hoskins TVer.

Rick

July 10th, 2018, 11:33 pm #84

horrorfilmx wrote:This seems to be one of those movies that people love to hate because everyone else hates it. Gives them a nice warm feeling of community, you know? Also I detect a undertone of smug superiority among the bashers. That sort of thing is a given in "film criticism", of course, which is why the web is crammed with self styled "critics". But I still find it just a tad obnoxious. 
Well, I beg to be excused from that "smugly superior" sweeping generalization. I didn't like THE LOST WORLD from first look at a prime time TV movie. I didn't know then, or for decades after, that anyone disliked it other than me.

So there.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

rvoyttbots

July 11th, 2018, 1:46 am #85

I saw it at a Sunday matinee back in 1960. I was 7. I liked it for what it was. A 1960 popcorn movie. 

It just isn`t a very good movie when I watch it nowadays. But I don`t hate it.

Casey62

July 11th, 2018, 2:25 am #86

I always liked the 1960 LOST WORLD. It has a terrific cast, colorful production design, and it's never dull. I could go on about its obvious misrepresentation of lizards for dinosaurs, but I don't like to dwell on that stuff. The enlarged, be-horned and be-finned stand-ins elicit a certain charm that makes me gladly buy into the fun. It appeals to the big kid in me who will accept a newly hatched lizard as a baby tyrannosaurus. Hey, it can be that if it wants in THIS movie.

And, there are some very attractive matte shots to ogle, like this one... Lost World-62 B (Fox matte).jpg
...a cool monster fight...
87410-the-lost-world-1960.jpg
...as well as other delightful sights.. fe6a663ac74f46406956e4ca1f8f547f.jpg
images (2).jpeg

Wich2

July 11th, 2018, 2:39 am #87

DOYLE_lost.jpg

horrorfilmx

July 11th, 2018, 11:53 am #88

Wich2 wrote: DOYLE_lost.jpg
I've seen that still of Doyle before, but it must have been cropped because I never saw any of the other characters. Great shot!

By the way, Rains certainly may have been to old to play Challenger as Doyle described him but I think he clearly based his performance on the book. There's a nice subtle moment when he's pontificating on stage and the way he walks,  pointing his toes, is just the way Doyle described him. 

Casey62

July 11th, 2018, 12:19 pm #89

Then there is the affinity this LOST WORLD has with the first FLASH GORDON serial.
101giantlizard.jpg
CCjp7ntVEAE0v4_.jpg
Flash Gordon 1936 Chapter 1 The Planet of Peril 36.png
87410-the-lost-world-1960.jpg
For me, that's part of the film's appeal - it plays like a feature version of an old-time serial.

Casey62

July 11th, 2018, 1:05 pm #90

I think Rains is great as Challenger, by far my favorite role at this period in his career. I don't see age as being a hindrance at all - he delivers a robust, enjoyably cantankerous performance.

horrorfilmx

July 11th, 2018, 1:31 pm #91

Casey62 wrote: I think Rains is great as Challenger, by far my favorite role at this period in his career. I don't see age as being a hindrance at all - he delivers a robust, enjoyably cantankerous performance.
The performance is excellent, I think the objection was in a more physical sense --- Doyle describes Challenger as "a stunted Hercules", immensely strong, and willing to fight anyone at the drop of a hat. A tough part to cast, really. 

I admit a lot of my fondness for this movie is nostalgic. The paperback tie-in was the first book I ever bought. But taken for what it is the movie is a lot of fun. I'm sure many people who hate this movie enjoy other films that are no better but don't have it's "stigma". My nephew, who was a big dino fan, loved it but referred to it as "the giant lizard movie".  

July 11th, 2018, 1:53 pm #92

Wich2 wrote:  
Oskar Homolka as Challenger?? Interesting...

Casey62

July 11th, 2018, 1:54 pm #93

horrorfilmx wrote:I admit a lot of my fondness for this movie is nostalgic.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that!

Casey62

July 11th, 2018, 2:11 pm #94

Mummified Remains wrote:
Wich2 wrote:  
Oskar Homolka as Challenger?? Interesting...
He'd have given the character a completely different ethnic twist.

Wich2

July 11th, 2018, 2:19 pm #95

If youse guys haven't seen Bob Hoskins' turn, check it out - he really nails it.

kcor
kcor

July 11th, 2018, 2:51 pm #96

oh gollee i've been reading "Bob Hoskins" as Bo Hopkins and thinking you guys were crazy

Casey62

July 12th, 2018, 12:31 pm #97

Another film that famously has lizards standing in for dinosaurs is ONE MILLION B.C. (1940). onemillionbc-5328.jpg
Yet, it doesn't get bashed for it as much as the '60 LOST WORLD does. It seems like the latter film is singled out to bear the brunt of disfavor toward something that was standard practice in the genre. I always prefer stop-motion in these cases, but realizing budgets were often compromising, I'm okay with blown-up, live lizards. They too, have a certain charm of their own.

Casey62

July 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm #98

I think the main reason THE LOST WORLD gets criticized for using lizards is because the silent version chose the more sophisticated method of stop-motion. Understandably, that invites direct comparison (and criticism) between original and remake. However, taken for what it is, I still think Irwin Allen's THE LOST WORLD is a fun time.

sillyhuron

July 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm #99

"i've been reading "Bob Hoskins" as Bo Hopkins and thinking you guys were crazy"

"Gonna hunt me some dino's...

wild_bunch_bo_hopkins-1-1.gif

(Incidentally saw an interview with Irwin Allen near the end of his life. He insisted the dinosaurs in Lost World were stop-motion, period. Is it true he hired Willis O'BrIen?) 
"Graverobbing in Texas is this hour's top news story"

Casey62

July 12th, 2018, 1:45 pm #100

sillyhuron wrote: "i've been reading "Bob Hoskins" as Bo Hopkins and thinking you guys were crazy"

"Gonna hunt me some dino's...

wild_bunch_bo_hopkins-1-1.gif

(Incidentally saw an interview with Irwin Allen near the end of his life. He insisted the dinosaurs in Lost World were stop-motion, period. Is it true he hired Willis O'BrIen?) 
Yes - O'Brien is listed in the credits, although I've always been uncertain as to the nature of his contribution.

I read that producer Allen wanted stop-motion and hired O'Brien to build models, but budget constrictions forced him to use live creatures. Whether or not we see anything of O'Brien's hand in the finished film is questionable. He may have worked on some of the matte paintings and various miniatures.
Last edited by Casey62 on July 12th, 2018, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.