Chicago noir "City That Never Sleeps"

dcwillis9

April 4th, 2018, 4:58 am #1

This Republic picture seemed to be on TV pretty regularly in the Sacramento area in the 60s.  Bizarre noir in which a store-window "mechanical man" witnesses, I think, a murder.  He keeps up the act, of course, even after the incident, with the perp none the wiser, at first.  I imagine that the latter did get wiser, later, or there'd be no movie.  My question is, Who played the "mechanical man"?  IMDb cites Roy Barcroft as the "mm"'s "hawker", a voice role, but either does not credit the actor who played the mm himself or lists his name, but I don't remember if he was named within the film....😝

-----------------------------

"Do you think bullets can stop us ghosts?" (The Amazing Mr. X)  

Rapfred

April 4th, 2018, 6:00 am #2

Been many moons since I last saw it, but I'm pretty sure Wally Cassell played the mechanical man.   Cassell is probably best remembered for his wiseacre platoon members in THE STORY OF G.I. JOE and SANDS OF IWO JIMA.  But he also had colorful roles in a number of well-regarded Noirs, including WHITE HEAT (as Zucky's pal Cotton) and QUICKSAND.

Another bizarre element of CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS is its choice of narrators.  Billed as the "Voice of Chicago": Cousin Chill Wills of Seagoville, Texas. 

telegonus

April 4th, 2018, 6:32 am #3

Rapfred wrote:
Another bizarre element of CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS is its choice of narrators.  Billed as the "Voice of Chicago": Cousin Chill Wills of Seagoville, Texas.  😄😀😆😂

Thanks for that one, dude. First laugh of the day, and a big one. 😇

kcor
kcor

April 4th, 2018, 12:11 pm #4

I really enjoy this movie, and only saw it as early as the 60s perhaps once--which made it all the more special for a long time.

Is anyone like myself and watched WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS a couple times and wondered what the heck happened to all the stuff I remembered from it?

There is a short thread about WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS in the "Film Noir" forum, I wish this thread was in there too.

papyrusbeetle

May 15th, 2018, 5:11 pm #5

Very interesting thread, and the Mechanical Man was so cool.

Another quite strange part of this film is the "cop partner" to Gig Young (played by Chill Wills)

wasn't he an Angel?

For a grungy, nearly vicious "noir" this film had a lot of interesting levels....
like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE sort of levels!

Also sort of fun because the main problem in Gig Young's life, causing him to flee his
marriage, was that his wife earned more than he did. Quite a strange world, the past!
"I don't want to die."
"Neither do I, baby, but if I have to, I'm going to die last." -OUT OF THE PAST