Mike Mariano

May 6th, 2018, 12:19 am #301

Sheesh.  Does anyone recall actually seeing this prop bat in the movie?  Missing it can only be a good thing...right?!  😄

brides of dracula.jpg

blufeld

May 6th, 2018, 4:55 pm #302

Pretty sure I saw it when Van Helsing is entering the "courtyard" and the bat kinda swoops at him.  Surprised me, because vampires were not able to change in to bats (per Van Helsing in HOD).  Poppycock he says (or something similar).  Always thought it was Meinster, or at least a vampire, and if it was, was he too stupid to realize he could change into a bat to get out of his ankle binding?

dracsback

May 7th, 2018, 1:31 am #303

I always thought the ankle chains with the CROSS on it - took away the vampire's power - therefore - no changing to mist or a wolf or a bat etc.
"I saw what I saw when I saw it!"

Jameselliot

May 7th, 2018, 2:28 am #304

The title has always been a bit of a marketing cheat. The original working title Disciple of Dracula is true to the story. But I  get why Hammer thought it lacked marquee power and came up with the more sexually oriented "Brides."

blufeld

May 7th, 2018, 12:15 pm #305

dracsback wrote: I always thought the ankle chains with the CROSS on it - took away the vampire's power - therefore - no changing to mist or a wolf or a bat etc.
After seeing this movie umpteen times, I never noticed a cross on the Baron's ankle chain.  Poppycock! (not to you dracsback, I just like saying that word.)  Since this is an official Dracula sequel and it has a Baron, did of the Frankenstein sequels have a Count in them?

DonM435

May 7th, 2018, 1:24 pm #306

blufeld wrote:
dracsback wrote: I always thought the ankle chains with the CROSS on it - took away the vampire's power - therefore - no changing to mist or a wolf or a bat etc.
After seeing this movie umpteen times, I never noticed a cross on the Baron's ankle chain.  Poppycock! (not to you dracsback, I just like saying that word.)  Since this is an official Dracula sequel and it has a Baron, did of the Frankenstein sequels have a Count in them?
Maybe if the chain is made from pure iron and holy silver, the vampire can't break it.  (Chrome steel is a no-go here!)

Partyslammer

May 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm #307

blufeld wrote:
There's a raised engraved icon of some sort on the ankle shackle but it's impossible to tell if it's a cross or not. There's a couple posed publicity stills of Freda Jackson as Greta holding the shackle but it's open and you can't see the outside detail. I always thought the likelihood that the chain and shackle were made of silver inhibited Meinster's ability to transform into a bat or whatever to escape, but like a lot of things in the movie, there's a lot of detail and plot elements that got lost between script(s) and the finished film.

blufeld

May 9th, 2018, 12:47 pm #308

As this is one of Hammer's best movie (arguably their best), there's a few headscratchers in it.  Who knew (except Van Helsing) that a vampire bite could be negated by branding it and pouring holy water on it?  Or a windmill can be used to kill a vampire?

Smoot
Smoot

May 9th, 2018, 4:30 pm #309

I wonder if distillation and/or reverse osmosis would limit the effectiveness of "holy water" ?

I need full potency whenever battling the undead.
I would hate to know that I'm carrying around a worthless canteen.

blufeld

May 9th, 2018, 6:45 pm #310

Smoot wrote: I wonder if distillation and/or reverse osmosis would limit the effectiveness of "holy water" ?

I need full potency whenever battling the undead.
I would hate to know that I'm carrying around a worthless canteen.
Crossed candlesticks make a good cross, so if Van Helsing blessed the water it would be holy water.  The man has no limits.

rvoyttbots

May 9th, 2018, 8:19 pm #311

Mike Mariano wrote: Sheesh.  Does anyone recall actually seeing this prop bat in the movie?  Missing it can only be a good thing...right?!  😄

brides of dracula.jpg

It attacks Cushing at the 39:25 or 56:49 mark. (depending on which crappy print on YouTube you watch) It isn`t even as large as it appears in the photo. I seem to remember it landing on a grave but maybe I`m wrong about that.

May 10th, 2018, 7:21 am #312

For the sake of Hammer continuity it can't be Meinster, but a bat under his control just like Dracula could control bats in Scars! If we believe it was Meinster, then he is obviously a different kind of vampire than Lee and maybe even more powerful? You know we can't accept that answer now can we...
JVH

blufeld

May 10th, 2018, 10:18 am #313

John, Hammer continuity is an oxymoron, right?

bromstaker

May 10th, 2018, 6:59 pm #314

Doesn't Van Cushing have a line in this film to the effect that some vampires can turn into bats?

blufeld

May 11th, 2018, 12:55 pm #315

See above, the post about Hammer's continuity.

May 12th, 2018, 8:26 am #316

blufeld wrote: John, Hammer continuity is an oxymoron, right?
It sure is, Blu, it sure is! 👍
JVH

June 11th, 2018, 3:14 pm #317

To this viewer, Hammer's first three vampire films are sublime, and BRIDES is the best of the best, Hammer firing on all cylinders.

June 11th, 2018, 6:26 pm #318

Are you counting Kiss of The Vampire or Dracula-Prince of Darkness in that trilogy, Bruce?
JVH

blufeld

June 12th, 2018, 4:12 pm #319

I'm not speaking for Bruce, but when I read his post, my mind went to KISS OF THE VAMPIRE which would make it the third of the trilogy after (HORROR OF) DRACULA and BRIDES OF DRACULA, which I agree is Hammer's best movie, or at least tied with THE MUMMY.  KISS inspired Roman Polanski to make DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES (aka THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS).  I've heard a lot of words to described DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS and sublime isn't one of them.

Rick

June 13th, 2018, 2:25 am #320

Well, I won't be the first to call DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS "sublime", 'cause it ain't. But I do prefer it -- by quite a bit -- to KISS OF THE VAMPIRE, which I find fairly good but usually much too highly praised. There's just way too much wrong with it.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul