Blog post - 70's British Horror Part Three - Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?, The Beast Must Die, and The Shout

Halloween and Jaws kick off new era of chills and blockbusters.

Blog post - 70's British Horror Part Three - Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?, The Beast Must Die, and The Shout

NLHMSteve

May 15th, 2018, 7:45 pm #1

Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? was rather silly, but The Beast Must Die and The Shout are quite good.

http://nerdlistsandhorrormovies.blogspo ... three.html

CHEROKEEBRUCE

May 15th, 2018, 9:19 pm #2

May 17th, 2018, 4:26 pm #3

Beast Must Die is fun, but pretty silly stuff.

The Shout was great and the Tony Banks score was an unexpected bonus due to my status as a big classic Genesis fan (just saw Steve Hackett for the 4th time 2 months ago). Very artsy, very oblique. The kind of thing one must be in the mood for, but if you are, it's terrific.

I know I owned and saw the Winters film, but it made little positive impression on me and I sold my DVD, also featuring a similar and equally unenjoyed "hag horror" title.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

NLHMSteve

May 17th, 2018, 5:27 pm #4

MacXoftheMounted wrote: Beast Must Die is fun, but pretty silly stuff.

The Shout was great and the Tony Banks score was an unexpected bonus due to my status as a big classic Genesis fan (just saw Steve Hackett for the 4th time 2 months ago). Very artsy, very oblique. The kind of thing one must be in the mood for, but if you are, it's terrific.

I know I owned and saw the Winters film, but it made little positive impression on me and I sold my DVD, also featuring a similar and equally unenjoyed "hag horror" title.
Beast was definitely silly, but there's an element of class to the Amicus films from this period that I always enjoy.  Genesis fan here as well and yeah, that soundtrack was ideal.

The Shelley Winters movie was just kinda sloppy, but borderline fun still.

Rick

May 17th, 2018, 11:55 pm #5

Haven't seen any of these three in ages, though I did see THE SHOUT maybe three times over a short period in the early '80s when it was running on some obscure cable station. Watched it over and over hoping to make some sense of it. I liked it, sure, but figured I was just too stone-dumb to really grasp it.

The one time I saw WHO SLEW AUNTIE ROO (was it on the CBS Late Movie? seems as if) I did like it, but only remember a couple of images and a vague notion of the atmosphere.

THE BEAST MUST DIE was the only one of the three which I saw in theatrical release, in a Cincinnati theater in the '70s. On that one viewing occasion, I did not care for it. At all. Probably need to watch it again. Actually probably should watch all three of these again before I go around spouting ancient, feeble opinions.
“We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.”
― Oscar Wilde

NLHMSteve

May 18th, 2018, 5:08 pm #6

Rick wrote: Haven't seen any of these three in ages, though I did see THE SHOUT maybe three times over a short period in the early '80s when it was running on some obscure cable station. Watched it over and over hoping to make some sense of it. I liked it, sure, but figured I was just too stone-dumb to really grasp it.

The one time I saw WHO SLEW AUNTIE ROO (was it on the CBS Late Movie? seems as if) I did like it, but only remember a couple of images and a vague notion of the atmosphere.

THE BEAST MUST DIE was the only one of the three which I saw in theatrical release, in a Cincinnati theater in the '70s. On that one viewing occasion, I did not care for it. At all. Probably need to watch it again. Actually probably should watch all three of these again before I go around spouting ancient, feeble opinions.
Ha.  Yeah, Auntie Roo isn't really worth watching.  I'd say anything from Amicus is though, Beast included.  The Shout was pretty unique and an awesome cast so if it's been that long, worth another look I'd reckon.