Best Forgotten Horrors?

Monogram, PRC, and other vintage low-budget horrors
kcor
kcor

May 1st, 2018, 1:35 pm #41

Yeah, these types of films give me a lot of pleasure regardless of their individual weaknesses.

I think this is a perfect thread to ask my "what movie is this?" question which is about a movie in which:

Man goes to mad scientist lab or house or haunted looking mansion and he and woman see bizarre large contraption. If you get into it it will kill you or something else bad. Man, bragging, says he knows all about radios and starts to get in, woman tries to dissuade him. He gets interrupted in some manner.

In what may be false memories I think it was a man who was a reporter, the woman is the daughter of the mad scientist, they have met only because he's come there to investigate some sort of story.

My memory vacillates between an electric chair looking machine but with a large upright disc behind the back and something more horse trough looking framework which you would sit in like a roadster. I think you would have to strap wires to your head or arms or both.

I've watched every East Side Kid and Bowery Boys I could and come up dry, All suggestions (THE CAT CREEPS, e.g.) likewise.

Slav
Slav

May 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm #42

kcor wrote: Yeah, these types of films give me a lot of pleasure regardless of their individual weaknesses.

I think this is a perfect thread to ask my "what movie is this?" question which is about a movie in which:

Man goes to mad scientist lab or house or haunted looking mansion and he and woman see bizarre large contraption. If you get into it it will kill you or something else bad. Man, bragging, says he knows all about radios and starts to get in, woman tries to dissuade him. He gets interrupted in some manner.

In what may be false memories I think it was a man who was a reporter, the woman is the daughter of the mad scientist, they have met only because he's come there to investigate some sort of story.

My memory vacillates between an electric chair looking machine but with a large upright disc behind the back and something more horse trough looking framework which you would sit in like a roadster. I think you would have to strap wires to your head or arms or both.

I've watched every East Side Kid and Bowery Boys I could and come up dry, All suggestions (THE CAT CREEPS, e.g.) likewise.
Could it be "Murder at Dawn" (1932): http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84133/Murder-at-Dawn/

dcwillis9

May 1st, 2018, 4:19 pm #43

Sounds a bit like the 1942 Michael Shayne "ghost" mystery, "The Man Who Wouldn't Die".😝

-------------------------

"Then how the devil did he get out of his grave?"

kcor
kcor

May 1st, 2018, 4:24 pm #44

Looks promising, Slav. I gotta go into town for some auto parts but will check during the day. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also dcwillis, will investigate later. thanks.

kcor
kcor

May 1st, 2018, 7:41 pm #45

Yow! dcwilllis wins!!

I've been trying to find this for about 40 years, it's THE MAN WHO WOULDN'T DIE. The scene is at about 20 minutes in. I even did a sketch of my memory which I cannot find right now but would be amusing I'm sure.

Meanwhile thanks to Slav for the suggestion. I will be watching both these movies start to finish soon.

My heroes!

dcwillis9

May 1st, 2018, 7:51 pm #46

kcor wrote: Yow! dcwilllis wins!!

I've been trying to find this for about 40 years, it's THE MAN WHO WOULDN'T DIE. The scene is at about 20 minutes in. I even did a sketch of my memory which I cannot find right now but would be amusing I'm sure.

Meanwhile thanks to Slav for the suggestion. I will be watching both these movies start to finish soon.

My heroes!
I'm glad I could answer a 40-year-old question.  Other such queries on the Board I haven't been so lucky on!😝

-------------------

"Then how the devil did he get out of his grave?"

Slav
Slav

May 1st, 2018, 11:23 pm #47

kcor wrote: Yow! dcwilllis wins!!

My heroes!
I am glad that you have found it :D

I should also probably watch "The Man Who Wouldn't Die"...

Rick

May 2nd, 2018, 12:59 am #48

Here's a thread about THE MAN WHO WOULDN'T DIE, including my very own photo "essay".

michael-shayne-films-t44307.html#p1182283
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

kcor
kcor

May 2nd, 2018, 11:37 am #49

Cool, Rick.

I must have been roughly 20 years old or younger when I saw it, I was perfectly happy with it but ecstatic about the hardware. One of your pics shows the machine in question.

kcor
kcor

May 2nd, 2018, 10:29 pm #50

Slav wrote: Could it be "Murder at Dawn" (1932): http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84133/Murder-at-Dawn/
Wow, that was a good suggestion, I just finished watching it through start to finish and that was a great electric chair thingie. The Michael Shayne film turned out to be what I had seen but MURDER AT DAWN was even more to my taste.

Lots of good screaming and hollering, much like people really would do if in a dark old house. They weren't the most polished actors but they gave everything they had.

I'd kind of like to know what that building was, there were several actual exterior scenes on a location and the building was interesting. No one at IMDB mentioned it. Maybe I'll search here.

Slav
Slav

May 8th, 2018, 3:18 pm #51

kcor wrote:
Slav wrote: Could it be "Murder at Dawn" (1932): http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84133/Murder-at-Dawn/
Wow, that was a good suggestion, I just finished watching it through start to finish and that was a great electric chair thingie. The Michael Shayne film turned out to be what I had seen but MURDER AT DAWN was even more to my taste.

Lots of good screaming and hollering, much like people really would do if in a dark old house. They weren't the most polished actors but they gave everything they had.

I'd kind of like to know what that building was, there were several actual exterior scenes on a location and the building was interesting. No one at IMDB mentioned it. Maybe I'll search here.
I am glad that You have enjoyed it :) 

Casey62

May 8th, 2018, 8:56 pm #52

Not a forgotten horror per se, but one that I consider to be the ultimate early-talkie/old-house mystery containing just about every genre trapping imaginable is Roland West's THE BAT WHISPERS (1930).