Tadrick
Tadrick

May 15th, 2016, 4:42 pm #21

Mothra
Gojira
The H-Man 
Matango

Those are my favorites of Honda. Gojira is a more recent favorite having seen the truly horrific Japanese version . I didn't really care for Godzilla King of the Monsters.
I was later surprised to see that The H-Man and Matango were in color as I saw them originally on a B&W tv and they were fantastically eerie.

Other Favs:
Frankenstein Conquers the World - I still think this one is truly bizaare and strange!
War of the Gargantuas
Dogora-a comic gangster movie!!!! a weaker effort but what a truly fantastic and surreal creature.
Godzilla vs. The Thing

Plus I have a soft spot for the reviled Godzilla's Revenge!

May 19th, 2016, 5:44 pm #22

Re-watched MATANGO yesterday, liked it much more this time around. THE H-MAN is coming up.
— G H O S T

May 24th, 2016, 3:11 pm #23

I experienced exactly the opposite. When I saw The H-Man as a kid, I loved it. Thought it was a crazy creepy & unusual take on The Blob (I might have actually seen The H-Man before The Blob...The Blob was always boring to me), and the idea of blobs in humanoid form was very cool. Then I re-watched it recently. Couldn't stand all the chit-chat & filler with the Japanese gangsters and the club that really slows the film down. Mantango I always loved.
"They're like children. Exactly like children."

Godziwolf

February 19th, 2018, 4:10 pm #24

superfuzz wrote: One mans treasure is anothers man trash.  But to add to the subject it appears Honda did not work on a lot of Samurai chambara films in Japan with was a hot genre is Japan during the 1950s and 1960s.  He specialized in sci-fi, a war films, and dramas.But it would be interesting to see him direct say, a Zatochi film. But I would recommend  folks into the sci fi theme the  following:   Gorath,  Secret of the Telegian,  Latitude Zero,  Space Amoeba,  Invisible Man vs Human Fly, and Yosei Gorasu,
Is there a good source for Telegian on disc? I think that's the one left I haven't seen.

ryanbrennan

March 10th, 2018, 3:18 am #25

I have a letterboxed copy that's merely okay but I believe there is another source for a much better copy that is probably anamorphic widescreen.  Check your PMs.

April 14th, 2018, 7:47 pm #26

I would go with Godzilla vs. The Thing and War of the Gargantuas. The first Godzilla is great but it's a hard watch due to its dark nature and the fact that G dies at the end, which made me cry as a kid. I also like KK vs. Godzilla, which was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw and still my favorite. 

nicecubes

April 18th, 2018, 2:33 am #27

The original GOJIRA and MATANGO are his 2 best-directed films. Honda was a fine craftsman...not a great or particularly original director...but he had a flair for the unusual and a proficient slick technical style. He deeply regretted the dumbing down of Godzilla and the increasingly juvenile and anthropomorphic approach Tsuburaya put into these films. Sadly, his last contribution to the genre was the rather lamentable TERROR OF MECHA GODZILLA...a film with only a few bright spots. 

Andrew Kidd

July 8th, 2018, 4:55 am #28

My top ten favorite Honda films are, in no particular order: Battle in Outer Space, The Mysterians, Atragon, The H-Man, The Human Vapor, Gorath, Matango, Godzilla King of the Monsters, Mothra and War of the Gargantuas.

Robert Summit

July 9th, 2018, 6:16 am #29

The intense sexual tension plus the subliminal dread that fungus-infected people will actually copulate makes MATANGO a terrifying delight.  Honda's best.
"Mom! Don't bother me now! I'm posting on the Classic Horror Film Board!"