Another "He Knows You're Alone"? (1982)

Horror and sci-fi go mainstream.

Another "He Knows You're Alone"? (1982)

TarmanLives

August 2nd, 2018, 4:49 pm #1

In my sad, never-ending quest to dig up all the lost and/or forgotten post-1950 horror films that I can (or, that exist), I came across this in the Coshocton Ohio Tribune, 9/22/82:

Grammar nazi bait count: 7....in the film titles ALONE!  Most impressive.

From April-July 1982, this package had a lineup of the latter four films and Creature From Black Lake.  Apparently, a couple of these films aren't what they appear to be.  They're Coming to Get You is actually 1971's Dracula vs. Frankenstein, while Night of the Howling Beast is really The Corpse Grinders.  Both films simply had a new title card spliced in, using monikers that were already fairly well-established at the time.  

I'm wondering if that might be the case with He Knows You're Alone as well.  It seems unlikely that the 1980 slasher film would've been shown.  Aside from being more than a little out-of-place with the rest of the lineup, it was playing theatrically as a co-feature with Poltergeist the same month and was even still getting scattered bookings on its own.  No way MGM/UA licensed it out for a single weekend on a shlocky midnight marathon.   At the same time, I can't imagine even the most ignorant distributor showing it illegally for this type of engangement, no matter how under the radar.  Does any individual film really drive ticket sales for something like this anyway?  Seems like an all night horror marathon is its own selling point, so long as all 5 aren't completely unheard of.  Even then, you're probably OK if the titles are lurid enough....

Maybe this distributor got a couple films cheap (hence, why Creature and Shriek weren't retitled) then rounded out the bill with a few unlicensed independents hidden under "used" monikers to have a few recognizable titles and/or to better camouflage the identity of the unlicensed films?  Then the only eyebrows raised (if any) would be from the owners of the titles advertised, which aren't the films actually being played so no worries.  Meanwhile, whoever held the rights to The Corpse Grinders would never know that "Night of the Howling Beast" is actually their film, if that makes any sense.  Of course, having no personal experience or knowledge of the industry, I'm basically chaining together assumptions. 😶

What do you guys think?  
"It's useless going on. By now, Sister Angela would have been well digested by those cannibals."

doctor kiss

August 3rd, 2018, 1:22 am #2

This 5 Deranged Features/Maniac Show of the Century bill was extensively roadshowed east of the Mississippi by Roger Grod's Alternative Film Society - nipping in just before home video had totally altered the scene. Grod was later president of Palisades Entertainment in NYC, and his Alternative Film Society wasn't such a fly-by-night operation as might be imagined (link to 1980 article).

It's certain that there was a lot of title-juggling going on with regard to these bills, with contemporary attendees maintaining that THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU wasn't always DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN, but sometimes actually the movie it purported to be. THE CORPSE GRINDERS was sometimes also billed as FLESH GRINDERS in newspaper ads, in addition to playing as NIGHT OF THE HOWLING BEAST.

My feeling is that there was some financial advantage to juggling around the titles, most likely involving the (under)reporting of profits to rights holders. At any rate, the roadshow surely gave rise to a whole swathe of uncommon retitlings, with HOUSE OF TORTURE seemingly always THE WIZARD OF GORE, and SCREAMS OF FLESH & BLOOD in reality BEST OF SEX AND VIOLENCE.

As for the identity of HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE... my first suggestion might be another movie that had played at earlier engagements of this roadshow... DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN.

However, there had been another couple of contenders on the bills of yet earlier engagements in the fall of 1981: LAST HOUSE, PART 2, which might be presumed to have been Bava's A BAY OF BLOOD; and MASSACRE AT CENTRAL HI (to retain the spelling employed in newspaper ads). Any of these might conceivably fit the title HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE thematically.

But this all remains highly speculative for now...

Dr Acula

August 3rd, 2018, 12:23 pm #3

The image of the guy in the poster reminds me of Joe Spinell for some reason...

Godziwolf

August 3rd, 2018, 4:10 pm #4

TarmanLives wrote: In my sad, never-ending quest to dig up all the lost and/or forgotten post-1950 horror films that I can (or, that exist), I came across this in the Coshocton Ohio Tribune, 9/22/82:

Grammar nazi bait count: 7....in the film titles ALONE!  Most impressive.

They're Coming to Get You is actually 1971's Dracula vs. Frankenstein, while Night of the Howling Beast is really The Corpse Grinders
The poster clearly calls it "Their Coming to Get You."

Given that a lower poster just called it "Coming to Get You", maybe the possessive form is correct. It's owned by someone else. 😉

Dr Stinson

August 4th, 2018, 12:35 am #5

Identifying mysterious theatrical re-titlings of movies is a favorite past time of mine....sigh... so in the spirit of this thread I offer this. In late 1986/87 something called ALIEN FLESH EATERS circulated in mid-west drive-in's and grindhouse's always sharing a triple bill with NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES and NIGHT THE SCREAMING STOPPED.

ZOMBIES is of course the U.S. theatrical title for the Bruno Mattei spectacular HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD (making an appearance here with a fake R rating) while NIGHT THE SCREAMING STOPPED was the re-issue title for the heavily cut U.S. version of POSSESSION. Since this title only shows up in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area I assume this was the work of a local sub-distributor with the ALIEN title applied to a preexisting film for a quickie cash in on James Cameron's ALIENS which was still playing in theaters at the time.

From the Akron Beacon Journal March 21, 1987.
aliens fleash eaters use this version.jpg

doctor kiss

August 4th, 2018, 1:49 am #6

Dr. Stinson, ads for this bill's Halloween 1986 opening in Detroit made use of an image from Lamberto Bava's DEMONS... and, what with the prominent teeth and all, I wonder whether this mightn't actually have been the 'gore-filled shocker' lurking behind the local ALIEN FLESH EATERS retitling.

FWIW, ALIEN FLESH EATERS returned to Detroit as late as January 1989, this time co-billed with DEEP STAR SIX!

Dr Stinson

August 4th, 2018, 5:21 am #7

doctor kiss wrote: Dr. Stinson, ads for this bill's Halloween 1986 opening in Detroit made use of an image from Lamberto Bava's DEMONS... and, what with the prominent teeth and all, I wonder whether this mightn't actually have been the 'gore-filled shocker' lurking behind the local ALIEN FLESH EATERS retitling.
 That makes sense since DEMONS was certainly in theatrical circulation at the time,  If my hazy memory is correct it played in San Diego in summer/fall of that year.

<<FWIW, ALIEN FLESH EATERS returned to Detroit as late as January 1989, this time co-billed with DEEP STAR SIX!>>

Some of this stuff that was still turning up on Detroit theatrical bills into the early 90's including what must have been one of the very last classic dusk till dawn drive-in shows during Halloween 1991. John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN headed the five film bill followed by a collection of euro schlock titles that had been bouncing around American theaters since the mid-80's.

Detroit Free Press October 30, 1991

TarmanLives

August 10th, 2018, 6:44 pm #8

Thanks for the info Doc!  I'm kinda surprised this package made the rounds as long as it did, thought I wonder how much salt I should take with Grod's statement that they handle distribution of 400+ films!  (Maybe he meant titles 😄 )

As if the drive-in sequel baiting wasn't confusing enough, now we have straight-up title swapping.  Wonder why they didn't continue the former tradition instead?
Night of the Howling Beast 2, They're Coming to Get You Too...

Weird how so much unknown or forgotten films from the era are suddenly turning up.  From these retitlings to unidentified one-week wonders (Rip-saw Rapes? Just...wow!) to my own pet project, the forgotten Wide World of Mystery movies.  Are these things actually just now coming to light or are they old hat to researchers and just getting talked about more now?  

Judging from this user comment the title card swapping was done hastily: "Night of the Howling Beast turned out to be Horror of the Blood Monsters with a tacky looking spliced in title card that added an "s" to Beast".

I wonder if this was done at the last minute for the whole run so that the advertised lineup could be matched no matter what.  So when...say, They're Coming to Get You was a no-go for whatever reason they just spliced a title card into Dracula vs. Frankenstein?  Especially since, according to one blogger, it sounds like they forgot to do that at least once:  "what was actually shown (instead of Night of the Howling Beast) was Ted V. Mikels' THE CORPSE GRINDERS (1971) with its title cut off and no new title card inserted in its place."  Whoops.  
Last edited by TarmanLives on August 12th, 2018, 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It's useless going on. By now, Sister Angela would have been well digested by those cannibals."

TarmanLives

August 10th, 2018, 6:51 pm #9

Dr Stinson wrote: Identifying mysterious theatrical re-titlings of movies is a favorite past time of mine....sigh... so in the spirit of this thread I offer this. In late 1986/87 something called ALIEN FLESH EATERS circulated in mid-west drive-in's and grindhouse's always sharing a triple bill with NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES and NIGHT THE SCREAMING STOPPED.

ZOMBIES is of course the U.S. theatrical title for the Bruno Mattei spectacular HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD (making an appearance here with a fake R rating) while NIGHT THE SCREAMING STOPPED was the re-issue title for the heavily cut U.S. version of POSSESSION. Since this title only shows up in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area I assume this was the work of a local sub-distributor with the ALIEN title applied to a preexisting film for a quickie cash in on James Cameron's ALIENS which was still playing in theaters at the time.

From the Akron Beacon Journal March 21, 1987.
aliens fleash eaters use this version.jpg
Nice find!  I think the most recent one I came across was Hollywood Hillside Massacre...

Probably Hollywood Hillside Strangler but you can never say for sure with these!

TarmanLives

August 10th, 2018, 6:54 pm #10

Dr Stinson wrote:
doctor kiss wrote: Dr. Stinson, ads for this bill's Halloween 1986 opening in Detroit made use of an image from Lamberto Bava's DEMONS... and, what with the prominent teeth and all, I wonder whether this mightn't actually have been the 'gore-filled shocker' lurking behind the local ALIEN FLESH EATERS retitling.
 That makes sense since DEMONS was certainly in theatrical circulation at the time,  If my hazy memory is correct it played in San Diego in summer/fall of that year.

<<FWIW, ALIEN FLESH EATERS returned to Detroit as late as January 1989, this time co-billed with DEEP STAR SIX!>>

Some of this stuff that was still turning up on Detroit theatrical bills into the early 90's including what must have been one of the very last classic dusk till dawn drive-in shows during Halloween 1991. John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN headed the five film bill followed by a collection of euro schlock titles that had been bouncing around American theaters since the mid-80's.

Detroit Free Press October 30, 1991
Odd lineup.  Do you know if Halloween was actually the film shown?