Bluesman Mark

September 13th, 2018, 2:59 am #21

stuthehistoryguy wrote: Until this morning, I did not realize that ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN was a thing. JECKYL AND HYDE, yes. THE KILLER BORIS KARLOFF, yes. INVISIBLE MAN, not so much.

Stone me, O peers!
Ok, if you insist.....

C&C.gif

bigcatrik

September 13th, 2018, 3:31 am #22

Rick wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 2:34 am
Enjoy your carefully hoarded, unwatched Universals. Wish I was there.
Whoops, burned through two today. I watched a double feature of "Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man" (which I didn't list above but hadn't seen either) and "House of Frankenstein." I had seen the beginning of "House of Frankenstein" when it was scheduled at a weekly film club I used to go to, but the disc started skipping right off the bat so they switched to a different Frankenstein, "Bride of Frankenstein," IIRC.

40s Universal has never been that appealing to me, but today I learned that "House of Frankenstein" is sublime. Karloff is magnificent. And there are still a lot of unwatched Karloffs of multiple studios and eras for me.

September 13th, 2018, 4:33 am #23

That's beautiful, man.
Peace,
Stu

https://independent.academia.edu/StuBurns

September 13th, 2018, 9:25 am #24

I've never seen LIFE RETURNS.
"I should like to think that an irate Jehovah, was pointing those arrows of lightning directly at my head!"

PhantomXCI

September 13th, 2018, 12:53 pm #25

Unfortunately, I have seen LIFE RETURNS.

September 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm #26

I have not.

I also know what I'm doing for an hour or so tonight.
Peace,
Stu

Godziwolf

September 13th, 2018, 6:40 pm #27

stuthehistoryguy wrote: Until this morning, I did not realize that ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN was a thing. JECKYL AND HYDE, yes. THE KILLER BORIS KARLOFF, yes. INVISIBLE MAN, not so much.

Stone me, O peers!
I hate to say this, but you're going to have to leave.

Not one of us! Not one of us!

Wich2

September 13th, 2018, 6:51 pm #28

stuthehistoryguy wrote:

Stone me, O peers!
Well Stu, at least that beats, 

"Pee on me, O stoners!"

September 13th, 2018, 7:06 pm #29

I thought we weren't supposed to get political here, Wich2?
Peace,
Stu

evilskippy

September 13th, 2018, 9:03 pm #30

I prefer the 1943 version of Phantom over any of the others. I used to hate it until I saw it on blu ray.
"Excuse me while I whip this out".

Wich2

September 13th, 2018, 10:11 pm #31

???

I understand that makes it prettier... but still the same script, direction, cast, etc...

September 13th, 2018, 10:28 pm #32

Wich2 wrote: ???

I understand that makes it prettier... but still the same script, direction, cast, etc...
I understand this. Sometimes the little things really make a difference. When I first saw DRACULA on Blu-Ray, I really had a different appreciation for the film. I've been avoiding PHANTOM; maybe I shouldn't.
Peace,
Stu

Wich2

September 14th, 2018, 12:12 am #33

I do get that.

A solid restoration can certainly make a good film better!

It's the going all the way from, "I used to hate it," to,  "I prefer (it) over any of the others," that intrigued me.

- Craig

crissrudd4554

September 14th, 2018, 5:03 am #34

Wich2 wrote: ???

It's an imperfect film and not a faithful adaptation of the original story but sue me. It's my favorite POTO. I knew of this Phantom before any other ones but thats partly because I was four when my interest in Universal Monsters began. Also while it might not be the performance of his career my favorite actor of all time plays the Phantom. How can I knock it?? And yes I say this in spite of its flaws. I'm also big on Ghost of Frankenstein too. I like it a smidge better than Son personally. 

I guess I don't have many secret confessions to tell with these films. Other horror films by other studios?? Sure. For instance I dont think I've watched a single original Godzilla film. I've seen maybe four or five Hammer films. Classic era Universal Horror?? Tough. I haven't seen any of the Inner Sanctum films aside for bits of Dead Man's Eyes. Not exactly Horror but there's a bunch of Abbott & Costello films I've yet to see (I've seen all the Monster cross overs). Haven't seen all of Night Monster, haven't seen Black Castle or Strange Door. A few '50s Horror flicks I haven't seen. Haven't seen It Came from Outer Space, This Island Earth, Mole People, Monster on Campus, Monolith Monsters.

September 14th, 2018, 5:11 am #35

It's my favorite Phantom too.  It was one of the first "monster" movies I ever set the alarm to wake at 3 AM to catch on TV.  Nelson Eddy was my mom's heartthrob.  He is a blonde baritone and so am I so I know who mom was thinking about when I was conceived!
"I should like to think that an irate Jehovah, was pointing those arrows of lightning directly at my head!"

crissrudd4554

September 14th, 2018, 5:13 am #36

Actually I have one more. I haven't seen the Chaney Hunchback film!

Wich2

September 14th, 2018, 3:47 pm #37

Missing one of Senior's GREAT performances, on that one.

September 14th, 2018, 3:52 pm #38

I didn't see MAN WHO LAUGHS until 2013.
Peace,
Stu

crissrudd4554

September 14th, 2018, 4:00 pm #39

stuthehistoryguy wrote: I didn't see MAN WHO LAUGHS until 2013.
Haven't seen that yet either.

amanaplan1

September 14th, 2018, 4:27 pm #40

This is an interesting thread (and maybe I'm stating the bleedin' obvious) because, for me at least, I've read so much about so many of these films, starting with FM, and going through COF, et al., that in my memory I've actually seen so-and-so movie(s), only to realize, Hmm, HAVE I ever actually seen it, and, if so, when was the last time, and what do I really remember about it?  I know I've seen, for example, all the Lon Chaney MUMMY movies at least once, but 1) that was decades ago, and 2) I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of them (that wasn't based on a photo in FM), let alone distinguish among any of 'em.

OTOH, a few years ago I decided to rewatch FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN, and -- except for the weird drinking (?) song in the middle of it -- I now know why I didn't remember any of it... because so much of it was Eh.

At least to me.