What is this? And what is it called?

What is this? And what is it called?

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

July 19th, 2012, 2:45 pm #1

Quick question,

What is this? And what is the proper terminology for it?
[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mark

July 19th, 2012, 3:25 pm #2

that's what I thought it was, though I suspect Jabo will know for sure.

GD

July 19th, 2012, 5:23 pm #3

Quick question,

[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mark
On Brit scorpions, this is were is the spot light is mounted, an option we did not get.

Anthony

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

July 19th, 2012, 7:15 pm #4

Quick question,

[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mark
CF Terminology....Plate, Mounting, Counter-Weight, Useless, Mk.1

Just kidding...there is no name for it. It was essentially a counter-weight of sorts mounted to cover the hole created by not mounting the British sight. On the Scorpion and Scimitar a BAE Systems 5.8 X magnification passive night sight was mounted there as the turret sights were only day sights.

Note the passive sight mounted in this Scorpion image...

The only spotlight on the vehicles was the Alvis spotlight that could be hand held or post mounted and plugged into a socket on the side of the left grenade discharger. (You need to move your power cable to the other side of the turret)

There are a few nations that opted to not have the night sight mounted and also have the same cover in place on their Scorpions...Ireland and the Philippines for example.

Of an interesting note when AVGP competition was being run in the 1970s Scorpion turrets were fitted to other AFV hulls and not just the MOWAG contender. The MOWAG contender with the Scorpion turret used for the competition did indeed have the passive night site fitted to the turret. As well, the MOWAG contender hull did not exactly look like the final AVGP hull...there were some differences in hull angles and the external exhaust.

July 19th, 2012, 8:33 pm #5

yes that is a counterweight, however the spotlight was placed in a drilled hole in between the gunner's and Crew Comd's hatch on the cougars we had. (so I was told on my gunners crse in 85)
As well the SimCan (simulated cannon fire)was placed here after we changed the bolts holding the counterweight on.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

July 20th, 2012, 1:19 am #6

The spotlight was mounted wherever it could be bolted. Some crews mounted it on the top of the mantlet, some on the top of the counterweight. It was really only used for UNPROFOR, IFOR, and SFOR deployments. The hole between the hatches on the turret was part of an NBC system that the Brits never mounted on their CVR-Ts....unless the 8CH was drilling new holes in the turret!

You are correct about the SIMFIRE. A bracket was bolted to the front of the counterweight and the SIMFIRE attached to the bracket. The cable was run to the top of the turret and either down a hatch or through the hole for the NBC system.

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

July 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm #7

Quick question,

[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mark
I appreciate it.

Mark