UN M113 TUA

UN M113 TUA

June 14th, 2011, 10:38 pm #1

were any of the M113 TUAs ever painted UN white?

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

June 15th, 2011, 12:38 am #2

n/t

June 15th, 2011, 12:41 am #3

I'm not sure how many were in theatre. I think there are some photos floating around.

Facebook actually has a page devoted to UNPROFOR and there are quite a few shots in there. Give that a look.

Let me know if you need more help I may have some in the photo vault somewhere.

HTH

Peter

June 15th, 2011, 4:02 am #4

Ian

Photos of them should be posted here:

http://s87.photobucket.com/home/ldshrecceboy

Cheers

Anthony

Ian Smith
Ian Smith

June 15th, 2011, 5:06 pm #5

Thanks guys! was just looking to see if it was possible. i need something different in the display case. varying shades of green only goes so far. white will definitely break the pattern. also planning on doing my centauro in UNIFIL colours. just a couple of questions ok maybe 3.
1/ were the road wheels painted white?
2/ were the sponsons painted? and,
3/ were the track skirts used?
Thanks,
Ubique,
Ian

Pete Hickey
Pete Hickey

June 15th, 2011, 5:28 pm #6

Hi Ian,

Concord (I think) released a softcover book a few years back in which there were some photos of an UNPROFOR M113 TUA, I think the title is M113 Volume 1? not 100 percent sure.I'm at work right now and don't have access.

If I remember correctly UNPROFOR vehicles where generally all white, but there are exceptions.M13A2s with the ACAV conversions were initially green, but later painted white. If I wasn't terribly concerned with accuracy I would throw in a green road wheel to add visual interest to the piece.

HTH,

P

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

June 15th, 2011, 5:56 pm #7

Thanks guys! was just looking to see if it was possible. i need something different in the display case. varying shades of green only goes so far. white will definitely break the pattern. also planning on doing my centauro in UNIFIL colours. just a couple of questions ok maybe 3.
Thanks,
Ubique,
Ian
I can only speak for the M113A2 TUAs deployed to Bosnia and not Croatia so there may be variations....

Yes, the entire vehicle was painted white prior to deployment. The spare road wheels carried on the trim vane were green. You could probably find a replacement road wheel in green here and there. The TUAs in Bosnia were not used for long range patrolling and for the most part went from the base to OPs within 10-15 km from the base so there was likely not a lot of wear and tear on the road wheels. I am not sure what the use of the TUA was in Croatia as far as patrolling but I suspect after one was destroyed by an RPG they were seen as high commodity targets for the Belligerent forces.

Yes, as per above answer.

Yes, the shorter side skirts associated with the M113A2s were used on the TUAs in Bosnia...most had them but there were probably a few that didn't.

June 15th, 2011, 10:48 pm #8

Ian

Shoot me a PM and will send some photos to ya.

Anthony

Bertie Baumgartner
Bertie Baumgartner

June 15th, 2011, 11:27 pm #9

Hi Ian,

Concord (I think) released a softcover book a few years back in which there were some photos of an UNPROFOR M113 TUA, I think the title is M113 Volume 1? not 100 percent sure.I'm at work right now and don't have access.

If I remember correctly UNPROFOR vehicles where generally all white, but there are exceptions.M13A2s with the ACAV conversions were initially green, but later painted white. If I wasn't terribly concerned with accuracy I would throw in a green road wheel to add visual interest to the piece.

HTH,

P
Yes there is a picture in that book of a UNPROFOR TUA but it's all in O.D. and doesn't have any track skirts on it. Another good little Concord book for UNPROFOR stuff is "The Blue Helmets Under Fire" I didn't see any Canadian TUA vehicles but there is a pretty good picture of a M113A2 with a dozer blade on it painted white. Hope that helps.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

June 16th, 2011, 1:32 am #10

There are no UNPROFOR M113A2 TUAs in that book...a 1990 Germany based TUA, an IFOR TUA, and a KFOR TUA.

The IFOR TUA is an ex UNPROFOR TUA and would have simply been repainted in green when the mission transferred to IFOR.