Trumps AVGP Cougar Not bad

Trumps AVGP Cougar Not bad

February 25th, 2011, 4:38 am #1

Just picked up the kit for 30 bucks, with Mafia discount, and not too bad a few small problems, that can be worked on to fix them. The rubber wheels are void of letterings. Listed as a early version, but can be modeled more as a later version.The painting and marking guide shows the wrong paint scheme for domestic operations, showing two tone, when it should be 3 toned.

But, this looks better than the Lav-3 for scale, and they even added the windshield in , again.

Review posted to armarama, wait out.

Anthony

(Armoured Vehicle Garbage Pattern ,the breach feed navel mortar vehicle, or pumkin launcher.................

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 28th, 2011, 4:23 am #2

Here's a complete breakdown of the kit for anyone looking for the details.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10135076

Anthony, I look forward to your review but with the contents of the kit I cannot see how anyone will be able to build a later version....the parts simply aren't included in the kit. If you meant the kit could be modified with to a later version scratch building and or adding new parts then that would make sense.

Looking at the kit parts and the instructions the kit builds into an early/mid version (it can be very confusing...about circa 1987 to 1990) of the Cougar with the only addition being the wire cutters on the hull and turret and the dual front shocks.

For those looking for an earlier or later version of the Cougar there were multiple modifications done over the years you should be aware of:

1. Propellor guards: included in the kit but not on the original Cougars and added in about 1984.

2. Tank telephone: not included in the kit and added to the left rear door in about 1989/1990....not all Cougars in Reserve units had the tank phone added. The shovel was moved to the right door when the tank phone was mounted.

3. Modified curved crew heater exhaust: not included in the kit and added in about 1989/1990....not all Cougars had this modification.

4. XML tires: not included in the kit and started in use in about late 1995 with IFOR or early 1996 during SFOR.

5. Turret wire stowage basket: not included in the kit and replaced the old stowage bin in about 1995/1996.

6. Coaxial C6 and modified mantlet: not included in the kit and added in the mid 1990s.

7. Front dual shocks: Included in the kit but not part of the original Cougar suspension and added in about 1987/1988.

8. Bison style mirrors and mounts: not included in the kit and added in about 1995/1996.

9. Smoke grenade stowage boxes: part of the original Scorpion turret but replaced by open stowage racks in the 2000s.

10. Rear brake and vent line guards: the guards were not mounted on the original Cougars and were added in about 1987/1988. The guards were modified from the square shape included in the kit to a version with a downward deflection angle.

That pretty much covers the overall modifications over the years....but does not included the overhauled Cougars used by the Reserves in the 2000s or the LAST armour package or the spare tire rack used on IFOR and SFOR Cougars.

Enjoy your Cougar builds folks!

February 28th, 2011, 4:59 am #3

Just picked up the kit for 30 bucks, with Mafia discount, and not too bad a few small problems, that can be worked on to fix them. The rubber wheels are void of letterings. Listed as a early version, but can be modeled more as a later version.The painting and marking guide shows the wrong paint scheme for domestic operations, showing two tone, when it should be 3 toned.

But, this looks better than the Lav-3 for scale, and they even added the windshield in , again.

Review posted to armarama, wait out.

Anthony

(Armoured Vehicle Garbage Pattern ,the breach feed navel mortar vehicle, or pumkin launcher.................
$43 at LHS. Trump has come a long way since the AS-90.

Looks like it will build UNPROFOR out of the box. Still not liking the lip around the engine grilles...but it will get built. Shoot, I bought it basically for the lower hull. So if anyone wants to trade me the upper hull of a trump LAV-R or CP, I'll send you my upper hull bits. You chop the lower to a Cougar wheelbase, I chop the upper to make a Brizzly.

GD

February 28th, 2011, 5:37 am #4

How did your LHS get the kit, it isn't even out in North America yet!

To the best of my knowledge, there are only 3 importers in NA, one in Vancouver, but he only gets about 2-3 orders a year, and 2 in the US, both of which I buy from, and none of them have the kit yet, and will likely be a couple of weeks before they arrive.

I could see if people are getting them from Lucky Model or other places in Asia, as they have been out in Asia for about a week or so....but shouldn't be any over here.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 28th, 2011, 2:22 pm #5

The kit is in Calgary too. No rhyme nor reason it just is.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 28th, 2011, 2:32 pm #6

Looks like it will build UNPROFOR out of the box. Still not liking the lip around the engine grilles...but it will get built. Shoot, I bought it basically for the lower hull. So if anyone wants to trade me the upper hull of a trump LAV-R or CP, I'll send you my upper hull bits. You chop the lower to a Cougar wheelbase, I chop the upper to make a Brizzly.

GD
The tank phone will still need to be added for an UNPROFOR Cougar. Add some jerry can racks to the turret bin and a 5/4 ton mirror to the wire turret wire cutters and you are in good shape for an UNPROFOR Cougar.

The turret wire cutters in the kit look off...they are too short and the mounting on the lifting eyes looks wonky.

Art Murray
Art Murray

February 28th, 2011, 7:23 pm #7

The kit is in Calgary too. No rhyme nor reason it just is.
There were two in Ottawa at Hobby House, I bought them both; $34 for each.

Art

Graeme
Graeme

February 28th, 2011, 9:06 pm #8

The tank phone will still need to be added for an UNPROFOR Cougar. Add some jerry can racks to the turret bin and a 5/4 ton mirror to the wire turret wire cutters and you are in good shape for an UNPROFOR Cougar.

The turret wire cutters in the kit look off...they are too short and the mounting on the lifting eyes looks wonky.
But generally, for a Trumpeter kit, it is about the best moulding I have seen from them.

For instance, the tow shackle pin has a hole moulded in for the cotter pin! That's about a .3mm hole. Nice.

Tires look very nice too. Camo paint guide is wrong as it's a 2 colour dealie.

Smallest etch set I've ever seen though...would rather they did the marine drive covers in etch than the stuff that was included.

If you guys can get this at the LHS for under $35, it is very good value for money.

Graeme
Graeme

February 28th, 2011, 9:07 pm #9

How did your LHS get the kit, it isn't even out in North America yet!

To the best of my knowledge, there are only 3 importers in NA, one in Vancouver, but he only gets about 2-3 orders a year, and 2 in the US, both of which I buy from, and none of them have the kit yet, and will likely be a couple of weeks before they arrive.

I could see if people are getting them from Lucky Model or other places in Asia, as they have been out in Asia for about a week or so....but shouldn't be any over here.
Comex Hobbey in Edmonton had 3. They're all gone now though.

March 4th, 2011, 11:58 pm #10

GD
Comex Hobby in Edmonton just has one on display at a time, the rest are behind the large scale kits. I picked one up today. I think they have a few more.

Regards,
Rod
Last edited by sherman-vc on March 5th, 2011, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.