Trumpeter Cougar OTB Speed Build

Trumpeter Cougar OTB Speed Build

December 16th, 2011, 5:05 pm #1

Figured this would make a good Wiggum Weekender. Yeah, I know there are flaws with the kit, but I'm going for the 80% solution with this. I've been finding lately that my build process has become too involved for the limited bench time I have available, and as a result, my paint finishing skills have degraded.

So, if you haven't built a trumpeter kit released in the last few years, they have improved their fit and detail a fair bit.

I got this far after two hours. I would have pressed on, but I needed the hull halves to set up before sanding:

I've said before that the ride height looks wonky somehow, but when I compare to the Italeri kit + MLM wheels, it looks OK. Not sure what it is about the trump kit that makes me feel something's off.

The oversized grill flange got hit with a metal file. I don't think there is supposed to be any flange, but I did not want to risk nicking the louvered parts with the file.

Suitably busy front suspension. The only bits that do not fit are the drive axles, and that applies to all 6 stations. They wanted to give a negative camber to all the wheels. I just snipped em back. Sharp eyed modellers will not that this is the less common Front Wheel drive version of the Cougar

.015 strip shim to fill the gap in the coffin bin. Rest of the turret fit OK, but , sprue tabs in the middle of weld seams...Tamiya would not do it that way.

Hull seam not too shabby. The sanding process will probably obliterate the moulded on 'loops', already I sense that if they get sanded off, the OTB mantra will be challenged by some bent copper wire.

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

December 17th, 2011, 5:01 am #2

Good weekend project. The higher angle on the front suspension looks off to me. The AVGPs sat level...it almost looks like the front struts are too long and that has thrown off the level of the hull.

Alan Balfour
Alan Balfour

December 17th, 2011, 4:14 pm #3

Figured this would make a good Wiggum Weekender. Yeah, I know there are flaws with the kit, but I'm going for the 80% solution with this. I've been finding lately that my build process has become too involved for the limited bench time I have available, and as a result, my paint finishing skills have degraded.

So, if you haven't built a trumpeter kit released in the last few years, they have improved their fit and detail a fair bit.

I got this far after two hours. I would have pressed on, but I needed the hull halves to set up before sanding:

I've said before that the ride height looks wonky somehow, but when I compare to the Italeri kit + MLM wheels, it looks OK. Not sure what it is about the trump kit that makes me feel something's off.

The oversized grill flange got hit with a metal file. I don't think there is supposed to be any flange, but I did not want to risk nicking the louvered parts with the file.

Suitably busy front suspension. The only bits that do not fit are the drive axles, and that applies to all 6 stations. They wanted to give a negative camber to all the wheels. I just snipped em back. Sharp eyed modellers will not that this is the less common Front Wheel drive version of the Cougar

.015 strip shim to fill the gap in the coffin bin. Rest of the turret fit OK, but , sprue tabs in the middle of weld seams...Tamiya would not do it that way.

Hull seam not too shabby. The sanding process will probably obliterate the moulded on 'loops', already I sense that if they get sanded off, the OTB mantra will be challenged by some bent copper wire.

GD
As happens too often, I wonder if the master was measured and built using a gate guard, sans engine, as a reference.

December 17th, 2011, 5:12 pm #4

Could just be my imagination, but I thought the real AVGP squatted on the rear, like a speedboat getting up to plane?
Last edited by gcdavidson on December 17th, 2011, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

December 17th, 2011, 6:37 pm #5

For the most part they sat pretty level. The Husky did have a bit of a sag due to the superstructure and crane weight.

When the Cougars were combat loaded there was a slight rear sag but nothing really noticable. When the LAST package was attached it added weight to the rear of the vehicle too.

Varying tire pressures could account for an uneven look if the rear four were significantly lower.

December 18th, 2011, 6:22 am #6

GD
Basically had it done in 5 hours, but then decided to add a bit of UNPROFOR character. Took some artistic license here & there. So, not straight from the box, but pretty close!

Here's what I added / modified
-filled hull locating slots for jerrycan brackets
-undercut kit supplied jerrycans in their mounts to make it look like separate parts
-added a coax MG from the AFV Club centurion
-found a spotlight from parts bin
-larger ammo cans (saw them used on Op DELIVERANCE Cougars, albeit on the side of the turret)
-Tow cable leads from M-113, tow cable from karaya, shackles from parts bin
-Tannoy reel from Challenger 1

Still need to add
-Antennas
-Lenses
-CFR plates
-Barrel cover

I decided to try the clear vision ports. The kit gives you the option of them or the grey styrene ones.

Marine drives were a bit fiddly. I used some pliers to gently twist the horizontal prop guard to make it match the angle of the upper prop shroud better. This is how the real one has it. I had to use CA on this assembly, and the parts are under tension.

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

December 18th, 2011, 4:34 pm #7

Goods great GD. I've got a "nearly" OTB build for a early version Cougar in the works.

December 18th, 2011, 11:23 pm #8

Basically had it done in 5 hours, but then decided to add a bit of UNPROFOR character. Took some artistic license here & there. So, not straight from the box, but pretty close!

Here's what I added / modified
-filled hull locating slots for jerrycan brackets
-undercut kit supplied jerrycans in their mounts to make it look like separate parts
-added a coax MG from the AFV Club centurion
-found a spotlight from parts bin
-larger ammo cans (saw them used on Op DELIVERANCE Cougars, albeit on the side of the turret)
-Tow cable leads from M-113, tow cable from karaya, shackles from parts bin
-Tannoy reel from Challenger 1

Still need to add
-Antennas
-Lenses
-CFR plates
-Barrel cover

I decided to try the clear vision ports. The kit gives you the option of them or the grey styrene ones.

Marine drives were a bit fiddly. I used some pliers to gently twist the horizontal prop guard to make it match the angle of the upper prop shroud better. This is how the real one has it. I had to use CA on this assembly, and the parts are under tension.

GD
I agree with you guys I was pretty sure all the Cougars I ever saw were basically level. Mind you I am no expert on the vehicle (or anything else for that matter). Your build looks great so far. What are your painting plans for it?

--------------
Rob Feehan

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

December 19th, 2011, 12:24 am #9

It's going to white, either Somalia or UNPROFOR.

December 19th, 2011, 2:44 am #10

If you have a chance move the shovel to the right door and add the tank phone...then you'll be good for either Somalia or Bosnia.