Stryker to LAV III

Stryker to LAV III

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

March 13th, 2007, 10:16 pm #1

Now that I have got hold of a Trumpeter M1126 Stryker kit, I have a question and see if anybosy can help. I have no intension of doing a Stryker whatsoever, my aim is to do a LAV III. I have noticed in the kit the part where the RWS and the commander's hatch is located is just a simple plactic slap. The implication is that with it could easily be replaced by parts that is designed for a 25 mm turret,the MGS turret or even the ADAT turret. My question is, has anybody heard any news/rumour/information if trumpeter would produce a LAV III and/or other variants. If so I will wait, if not I will start my cut and paste to make a LAV III out of it. Thanks,

Alfred

March 14th, 2007, 1:14 am #2

No rumours of any substance.

Trumpeter and AFV Club have only announced the Stryker ICV.

Dragon has announced the "Stryker Family"...so who knows what this means...most likely more US variants...command, engineer, ATGM

I have no doubt there will be an aftermarket conversion for the Canadian LAV 3...hopefully with and without add-on armour.

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

March 14th, 2007, 3:42 am #3

Thanks, I think I will just go ahead and do my own cut and paste to make a LAV III.

I see your point on the "with or without add on armour". The Trumpeter Stryker came with add-on armour casted on the hull. At a first glance, it appears to be too thin and the edges are too will defined. On the real thing the edges of all the add-on plates are sharp and very clearly noticable. I might have to re-do all the add-on armour plates.

Alfred

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

March 14th, 2007, 3:46 am #4

I meant the in Trumpeter kit, the add-on armour edges are "NOT" well defined.

Dan Hay
Dan Hay

March 15th, 2007, 5:11 am #5

Now that I have got hold of a Trumpeter M1126 Stryker kit, I have a question and see if anybosy can help. I have no intension of doing a Stryker whatsoever, my aim is to do a LAV III. I have noticed in the kit the part where the RWS and the commander's hatch is located is just a simple plactic slap. The implication is that with it could easily be replaced by parts that is designed for a 25 mm turret,the MGS turret or even the ADAT turret. My question is, has anybody heard any news/rumour/information if trumpeter would produce a LAV III and/or other variants. If so I will wait, if not I will start my cut and paste to make a LAV III out of it. Thanks,

Alfred
Having had a look at pictures of the test shots of the AFV Club Stryker, I think that kit will be the best starting point for a LAV-III conversion. The applique armour appears to have been molded as separate parts which would facilitate a conversion to a LAV-III without applique much easier than would the Trumpeter kit.

Regarding conversions, I think I heard a rumour that Paul Fredenburg was working on a LAV-III ... or was that Jim Carswell?

Cheers - Dan

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

March 15th, 2007, 6:04 am #6

That is interesting. On closer examination the Stryker add-on armour plate panels are somewhat different from those on the LAV III. If the AFV Club offer separate armour panels then life will be much easier. I can save the Trumpeter kit to do some other things such as the Irish Army or Danish Army versions. The RWS can be save to use for the RG-31 scratch build project.

April 23rd, 2007, 5:23 pm #7

Alfred
Hey Alfred, how is your LAV III coming along? Do you have pics?

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

April 26th, 2007, 3:53 am #8

Sorry, I have done a thing to it . I am still at the stare at it, touch it, smell it and dream about it stage.

Alfred

April 26th, 2007, 6:37 am #9

Well, it would have been nice to see another's work on it. I'm almost done with mine. Waiting for a couple things and still have to scratchbuild the top storage box.

April 26th, 2007, 10:52 am #10

Guys, if you go on my site, I put online the LAV III of Ryan Gingras.
Follow this link:
http://www.campmapleleaf.org/

Luc Desormeaux
http://www.campmapleleaf.org