SFOR M-113 TUA Markings question, sort of urgent

SFOR M-113 TUA Markings question, sort of urgent

November 25th, 2007, 7:34 pm #1

Hey gang, I am looking for a pic of the right side of an SFOR TUA. Trying to figure out where the "SFOR" and the C/S are placed, as the exhaust heat shield and grouser rack prevents the same as the left side.

Pic from Jeep:

Thanks,
Graeme

Pete Hickey
Pete Hickey

November 25th, 2007, 7:58 pm #2

if you need it. I would assume it would be the same relative positioning. Its actually PG 26 in Concords M113 in the 1990s PT 1, let me know if that will help
P

November 25th, 2007, 9:00 pm #3

I can see the KFOR stencil, but no C/S on that side.

(That is actually the TUA I had been modelling, but all my KFOR logos are white, and that one appears to be med. grey)

Pete Hickey
Pete Hickey

November 25th, 2007, 9:19 pm #4

I think the KFOR stencil is in fact white but I think the road grime, etc has made it appear grey or at least off white. I'm no expert in this area, but I don't think I've ever seen KFOR, SFOR markings in anything but white, unless they ran out and grabbed a primer grey rattle can from REME..I would have expected stores to order one colour and one colour only for stencilling, "appliance white"... maybe even from Canadian Tire!
ok maybe not, but you see were I coming from, I don't think you'd be wrong by doing the graphic in white.
Certainly doesn't appear to be a C/S, maybe for security reasons they were eliminated?
Maybe Jason would have more knowledge in this area.
This is a great build and I will be thinking about adding this to my ongoing M113 collection.
Pete

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

November 25th, 2007, 9:31 pm #5

Hey gang, I am looking for a pic of the right side of an SFOR TUA. Trying to figure out where the "SFOR" and the C/S are placed, as the exhaust heat shield and grouser rack prevents the same as the left side.

Pic from Jeep:

Thanks,
Graeme

From taking a look at the images I have of TUAs when the grouser racks are fitted mid side hull as you have placed yours there is no call sign on the hull side. The SFOR or KFOR marking is placed centered on the hull side to the rear of the grouser racks and exhaust heat shield.

Another version has no grouser racks fitted....or fitted on the left hull side and the call sign is below the exhaust heat shield end and the SFOR or KFOR is slightly to the rear hull side.

Yet other ones have no grouser racks fitted and the SFOR is centered on the hul side with no call signs visible or the call sign is in smaller letters and numbers under the SFOR.

The final version I have seen shows the grouser racks fitted toward the lower edge of the hull side. This allows the call sign below the heat shield to still be visible.

With the version you have built I would say no call sign on the right side and just add the SFOR or KFOR.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

November 25th, 2007, 9:33 pm #6

I think the KFOR stencil is in fact white but I think the road grime, etc has made it appear grey or at least off white. I'm no expert in this area, but I don't think I've ever seen KFOR, SFOR markings in anything but white, unless they ran out and grabbed a primer grey rattle can from REME..I would have expected stores to order one colour and one colour only for stencilling, "appliance white"... maybe even from Canadian Tire!
ok maybe not, but you see were I coming from, I don't think you'd be wrong by doing the graphic in white.
Certainly doesn't appear to be a C/S, maybe for security reasons they were eliminated?
This is a great build and I will be thinking about adding this to my ongoing M113 collection.
Pete
I agree.....white painted markings....they get covered in dirt really fast and change colour to a light grey.

Luc Desormeaux
Luc Desormeaux

November 25th, 2007, 9:35 pm #7

Pete
Graeme, there is one on page 41 in JP's CANADIAN IN BOSNIA book that shows the right side. The SFOR stencil looks to be right in the middle of the hull. Do you have that book ?

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

November 25th, 2007, 9:44 pm #8

The SFOR is centered because there are no grouser racks fitted...can't do that with Graeme's TUA.

Luc Desormeaux
Luc Desormeaux

November 25th, 2007, 9:55 pm #9

n/t

Luc Desormeaux
Luc Desormeaux

November 25th, 2007, 10:15 pm #10

From taking a look at the images I have of TUAs when the grouser racks are fitted mid side hull as you have placed yours there is no call sign on the hull side. The SFOR or KFOR marking is placed centered on the hull side to the rear of the grouser racks and exhaust heat shield.

Another version has no grouser racks fitted....or fitted on the left hull side and the call sign is below the exhaust heat shield end and the SFOR or KFOR is slightly to the rear hull side.

Yet other ones have no grouser racks fitted and the SFOR is centered on the hul side with no call signs visible or the call sign is in smaller letters and numbers under the SFOR.

The final version I have seen shows the grouser racks fitted toward the lower edge of the hull side. This allows the call sign below the heat shield to still be visible.

With the version you have built I would say no call sign on the right side and just add the SFOR or KFOR.
I found this one in my references:

[/IMG]