SFOR Grizzly Gun Tractor

SFOR Grizzly Gun Tractor

July 25th, 2012, 1:54 am #1

There has been discussion about the markings in the Trumpeter Late Grizzly kit and hopefully this will help you out.

Here are some images of Grizzly Gun Tractors deployed to Bosnia with SFOR. I can't remember where I found any of these images on the Internet.

This is the version that I believe is depicted with the Trumpeter Late Grizzly kit painting and markings.

These Grizzlies had no add-on armour or add-on armour mounts, the props were removed and replaced with the stowage boxes, the XML tires are fitted, the Bison mirrors and mirror mounts are attached, the trim vane has been removed, the rear door locking bracket is fitted, a GPS is mounted on the left rear area of the upper hull, and the large taillight guard with the diagonal rods are attached.

You will see in the images that the TCCCS components are not mounted on the left hull side. Some later Grizzly Gun Tractors had them but none in the images. Also note that none of the Grizzlys in the images show the spare tire rack or spare tire mounted. They are all painted in the single colour CARC green.

July 25th, 2012, 3:21 am #2

Hi guys
Just want to let you know from these pictures seen, is an exact copy of the one that CFB Borden has. Anyone in Ontario can go there to take pics of this version. They also have a Husky to take pics of as well.

Pau Fredenburg
Pau Fredenburg

July 25th, 2012, 12:34 pm #3

There has been discussion about the markings in the Trumpeter Late Grizzly kit and hopefully this will help you out.

Here are some images of Grizzly Gun Tractors deployed to Bosnia with SFOR. I can't remember where I found any of these images on the Internet.

This is the version that I believe is depicted with the Trumpeter Late Grizzly kit painting and markings.

These Grizzlies had no add-on armour or add-on armour mounts, the props were removed and replaced with the stowage boxes, the XML tires are fitted, the Bison mirrors and mirror mounts are attached, the trim vane has been removed, the rear door locking bracket is fitted, a GPS is mounted on the left rear area of the upper hull, and the large taillight guard with the diagonal rods are attached.

You will see in the images that the TCCCS components are not mounted on the left hull side. Some later Grizzly Gun Tractors had them but none in the images. Also note that none of the Grizzlys in the images show the spare tire rack or spare tire mounted. They are all painted in the single colour CARC green.

now all we need is the 105 in 1/35 scale!

July 25th, 2012, 3:04 pm #4

1. A nice collection of photos. The RCAA 1199-2000 Annual Report provides some useful reading on the selection of the Grizzly as the Gun Tractor for the LG1 light howitzer.
http://www.artillery.net/beta/royal-can ... l-reports/

2. The bottom photo looks to be a TSM section based on the Aiming Circles on tripods, gun position flags stowed on the turret and what appears to be an MWO's rank badge on the right soldier. As such this would be a straight Grizzly APC and not a gun tractor.

3. As I understand it, the task battery had six LG1 howitzers, six Grizzly Gun Tractors and three Grizzly APC (Bty Recce Offr and two TSM sections) as well as assorted B vehicles. I believe that the CPs were standard LSVW Arty CP configured vans. Six other Gun Tractors were issued to 1 RCHA in Shilo for crew training. I'm not certain if the batteryy vehicles in Bosnia carried call signs and if so what they were.

4. Based on the success of the deployment the intent was to provide the light battery in each of the three Regular Force regiments with six Grizzly Gun Tractors and three Grizzly APC as part of the WLAV LE PRogram. The BCs and FOOs would receive LAV III OPs. I am not certain if Grizzly CPs would have been issued to the batteries as well. Of course with the cancellation of the WLAV LE Program around 2005 this all went out the window.

Bob

July 25th, 2012, 6:32 pm #5

Like, the ones in the Trumpeter kit?

Seriously, nice pics, had not seen them before.

GD

Rick Saucier
Rick Saucier

July 25th, 2012, 8:10 pm #6

In the major equipment yard at CFB Kingston is a SFOR Grizzly, still with the markings on it.

cheers

July 26th, 2012, 1:50 am #7

This is a good shot of an SFOR Grizzly Gun Tractor...

July 26th, 2012, 4:22 am #8

that they would be considered rare/rarely used? I don't know what the total number of Grizzlies used in IFOR/SFOR, but how often would the guns and tractors be used? Good collection of photos Jason, it would be great to have a gun to tow behind it; looks like a pretty unique piece ie. not easily converted from an existing kit. Did I read that report correctly? Only storage for six ready rounds!!

Jim

July 26th, 2012, 1:28 pm #9

1. A nice collection of photos. The RCAA 1199-2000 Annual Report provides some useful reading on the selection of the Grizzly as the Gun Tractor for the LG1 light howitzer.
http://www.artillery.net/beta/royal-can ... l-reports/

2. The bottom photo looks to be a TSM section based on the Aiming Circles on tripods, gun position flags stowed on the turret and what appears to be an MWO's rank badge on the right soldier. As such this would be a straight Grizzly APC and not a gun tractor.

3. As I understand it, the task battery had six LG1 howitzers, six Grizzly Gun Tractors and three Grizzly APC (Bty Recce Offr and two TSM sections) as well as assorted B vehicles. I believe that the CPs were standard LSVW Arty CP configured vans. Six other Gun Tractors were issued to 1 RCHA in Shilo for crew training. I'm not certain if the batteryy vehicles in Bosnia carried call signs and if so what they were.

4. Based on the success of the deployment the intent was to provide the light battery in each of the three Regular Force regiments with six Grizzly Gun Tractors and three Grizzly APC as part of the WLAV LE PRogram. The BCs and FOOs would receive LAV III OPs. I am not certain if Grizzly CPs would have been issued to the batteries as well. Of course with the cancellation of the WLAV LE Program around 2005 this all went out the window.

Bob
those reports are interesting reading. Any for the other branches??

July 26th, 2012, 4:13 pm #10

that they would be considered rare/rarely used? I don't know what the total number of Grizzlies used in IFOR/SFOR, but how often would the guns and tractors be used? Good collection of photos Jason, it would be great to have a gun to tow behind it; looks like a pretty unique piece ie. not easily converted from an existing kit. Did I read that report correctly? Only storage for six ready rounds!!

Jim
1. I wasn't there and stand ready to be corrected by the gunners. The deployment would have seen a moderate amount of usage. First off there would be regular artillery deployments out of the camps for training and force projection/deterence. As well, reading the report, the gun detachments would conduct regular presence patrols as part of their routine. Depending on the circumstances, these would be in Iltis or the Grizzly gun tractors, one of the reasons for developing an armoured vehicle for gun tractor duties.
2. The report is correct. There were only six ready rounds per detachment. This, while not ideal, was not a major limitation. There were HLVW ammunition limbers that traveled with the battery, carrying additional rounds and the remainder of the gun detachment. Much like the M548s that followed the M109s around.
Bob