SFOR Grizz SitRep

2:53 AM - Apr 22, 2013 #1

Hello,

I thought I'd give you guys a preview of what I've been doing with the help you've provided for my SFOR Grizzly project.

I added some details to Trumpeter's mirror frames bins and fellow modeler Eric Peytavin of my local club cast them. I basically built a late from the early Grizz, and things would have been much simpler to just use the late one, but I started on this before any news of the late kit surfaced, so there.

The bins of the Trumpeter's kit appear to be too wide and could use some additional detailing. I've added protective covers to the driver's optics, and also used Citadel's green epoxy putty (a first time, I like that stuff) to add tarps on the front engine access panel. Although I'm sure there are still a gazilion things to be corrected/detailed, this will hopefully result in a not too inaccurate representation of an SFOR gun tractor.

Moving on to painting. Thanks again to all who provided info on this!

JV

Last edited by JVRoy on 2:54 AM - Apr 22, 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

2:01 AM - Apr 23, 2013 #2

Looks good JV.

The Gun Tractors appear to be only painted in solid green so your painting should be straight forward.

Ian Smith
Ian Smith

4:15 AM - Apr 23, 2013 #3

just a quick couple of questions(points). did you scratch a new pintle for the gun tractor? also the GGT's didn't mount the spare tire rack.

1:59 AM - Apr 24, 2013 #4

Thanks for mentioning those points Ian.

I didn't do anything special on the pintle and wasn't aware of it being replaced by another type. I haven't seen pics of this particular detail to be honest.

As for the spare tire rack, I'm chalking this one up to artistic license It's one of the reason I've got into this mess in the first place. I find it looks so cool on the Grizzly I'd be sad if I were to leave it off after scratching it.

Best

JV

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

3:46 AM - Apr 24, 2013 #5

JV,

If you want to backtrack and consider adding the Gun Tractor towing pintle send me an email and I can provide you details on the modifications.

Ian Smith
Ian Smith

1:11 PM - Apr 24, 2013 #6

if you search for GGT there's a previous discussion here that links to some good pics of the GGT as well as the mod'ed pintle hook.
i hear with the spare tire rack I too took some "it looks cool" license with mine as well. I also left the GPig on as i couldn't find a good C6 barrel.

Ian Smith
Ian Smith

1:11 PM - Apr 24, 2013 #7

JV,

If you want to backtrack and consider adding the Gun Tractor towing pintle send me an email and I can provide you details on the modifications.
if you search for GGT there's a previous discussion here that links to some good pics of the GGT as well as the mod'ed pintle hook.
i hear with the spare tire rack I too took some "it looks cool" license with mine as well. I also left the GPig on as i couldn't find a good C6 barrel.

5:57 PM - Apr 29, 2013 #8

Hello,

I thought I'd give you guys a preview of what I've been doing with the help you've provided for my SFOR Grizzly project.

I added some details to Trumpeter's mirror frames bins and fellow modeler Eric Peytavin of my local club cast them. I basically built a late from the early Grizz, and things would have been much simpler to just use the late one, but I started on this before any news of the late kit surfaced, so there.

The bins of the Trumpeter's kit appear to be too wide and could use some additional detailing. I've added protective covers to the driver's optics, and also used Citadel's green epoxy putty (a first time, I like that stuff) to add tarps on the front engine access panel. Although I'm sure there are still a gazilion things to be corrected/detailed, this will hopefully result in a not too inaccurate representation of an SFOR gun tractor.

Moving on to painting. Thanks again to all who provided info on this!

JV

That's some really fine work on that stowage box. Just one simple inclusion if your interested. I saw that box for real and at the bottom they had one center drainage hole. It's minor and not that noticeable.

3:03 AM - Apr 30, 2013 #9

Yes, I've noted that too from Anthony's walk around pics, and I've added them to my master.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pic:

Another thing is the assembly plate bolted on the propeller's drive cover to secure the lower part of the bin. I didn't add them for the sake of speedily moving to finishing but it shouldn't be too hard to scratch and would be a nice detail to add.

Best

JV