Photos - Best Value Models Cougar - WIP

Photos - Best Value Models Cougar - WIP

August 20th, 2007, 7:38 pm #1

Hi all;

I've pretty much finished up the construction phase, all's that's needed now is a coat of paint and some markings...hahahaha..

I've whacked on some model master gunship grey from a rattle can as a primer. I'm going to paint it UN white for a Cougar in service in Bosnia. I'll put in some MV lenses for the headlights and scrounge up some markings from somewhere. All I need now is some crew figures...hmmm

Comments, questions, critiques all welcome.....

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

cheers;
Bob

Ryan Gingras
Ryan Gingras

August 20th, 2007, 9:17 pm #2

Hi, looks great, I just placed my order for the same kit last week, how did you find the kit? any reviews? and what trouble spots should I be ready for? cheers,

Gary Owsley
Gary Owsley

August 20th, 2007, 10:22 pm #3

Scroll can be your friend.

August 20th, 2007, 11:55 pm #4

Hi, looks great, I just placed my order for the same kit last week, how did you find the kit? any reviews? and what trouble spots should I be ready for? cheers,
Hey Ryan

The kit's pretty good, the resin detail and conversion parts fit well and it's been a joy to build so far. I do have a thread a little farther down that describes the kit, contents etc.

cheers;
Bob

Ryan Gingras
Ryan Gingras

August 21st, 2007, 12:19 am #5

Scroll can be your friend.
Hello, lets just all get along on this forum, I asked a question that didn't require a smart ass reply like "UH" , its clear that we all share a common interest here and all come for help, so lets leave it at a respectful level to one another, thanks.

Ryan Gingras
Ryan Gingras

August 21st, 2007, 12:20 am #6

Hey Ryan

The kit's pretty good, the resin detail and conversion parts fit well and it's been a joy to build so far. I do have a thread a little farther down that describes the kit, contents etc.

cheers;
Bob
Thanks, I was excited when I saw the built kit, i'll check it out, I can't wait to get mine in the mail, i'll have that kid at chirstmas buzz going, cheers,

August 21st, 2007, 1:13 am #7

Hi all;

I've pretty much finished up the construction phase, all's that's needed now is a coat of paint and some markings...hahahaha..

I've whacked on some model master gunship grey from a rattle can as a primer. I'm going to paint it UN white for a Cougar in service in Bosnia. I'll put in some MV lenses for the headlights and scrounge up some markings from somewhere. All I need now is some crew figures...hmmm

Comments, questions, critiques all welcome.....

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

cheers;
Bob
Bob,

Good for you for building it up so fast and adding the details you did.

I will try to point out some things I see lacking in the kit that are not at all your fault.

-there is no external fire extinguisher cover on the right side by the exhaust.
-there is no crew heater exhaust behind the driver's hatch on the upper hull.
-the turret wire cutters are not quite the correct shape or angle.
-there should be canvas straps for handles on the inside of the hatches.
-the hatch padding inside the Commander's hatch is not correct.
-there should be a canvas cover on the barrel larger portion near the mantlet.
-a portion of the 7.62 mm C5 GPMG barrel should be visible out of the mantlet.
-there should be black out markers and wiring on the side of the headlight mounts.
-hatch locks are missing on the driver, commander, and gunner's hatches.
-the counter weight on the mantlet has visible cast numbers.
-there should be a jerry can rack mounted on the left hull side above the rear most tire.
-the actual dual exhaust ports on the muffler should be angled more and longer.
-footholds are missing from both hull sides by the shock towers.
-the handle on the tank telephone is missing.
-there should be two lifting eyes on the engine grills.
-the right antenna mount should have the Reel Alvis mounting bracket.
-both antenna mounts are too long.
-the inner and outer driver hatch handles should be aligned the same direction.
-the tie downs you added on the left side of the turret look good but there should be three more on underneath in an inverted triangle pattern.
-the jerry can you have mounted is not correct...the US style metal jerry cans were phased out in the late 1980s and replaced with the plastic 20 Gallon jerry cans.
-the rear taillights had two vertical rod guards welded on the circular guard.

I think you did a great job with a mediocre kit.

When you start your marking process for an UNPROFOR Cougar let me know. There were multiple variations of the markings applied including different sized UN markings, Canadian flag decals, callsigns, UNPF licence plates, and CFR plates.

Kit carried on the outside varied also...tow cable, tarp, fuel jerry cans, spotlight Alvis mounted on the mantlet, shovel on the rear door, sometimes pioneer tools on the rear hull roof...and rarely a spare tire lashed to the trim vane or hull side....saw one once carried on the top of the hull rear but it was removed as the crew could not traverse the turret.

August 21st, 2007, 2:13 am #8

Wow, that's quite a list Jason - thanks. There's a few things I'm not sure about:
- I'm not sure what you mean about the external fire extinguisher cover by the exhaust?
- I don't know what the crew heater exhaust should look like
- where should the manlet cover cast numbers go and how many numbers?
- I'm assuming that the tank telephone is the 'hat box' looking affair fitted to the left hand rear door?
- I don't know what a Reel Alvis mounting bracket is, is that for a cable reel?

I've yet to add the canvas cover at the base of the gun barrel, I have a 7.62mm GPMG barrel but I just haven't fitted it yet. I wasn't sure about the footholds so I guess I'll add some. I don't have another jerry can type so I'll leave it off I guess or just show an empty bracket. I haven't put the taillight guards on yet, I'll stretch some sprue for those later. I will need some help with the markings so I'll send up a red flare when I get to that point.

cheers,
Bob

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

August 21st, 2007, 3:38 am #9

-External Fire Extinguisher- small square box with a hinge to flip it up just to the left of the upper left of the exhaust

-Crew heater exhaust- oval shaped cover that pivoted and held in place with a wing nut on the original Cougars and later changed to dual curved tubed for the intake and exhaust with a perforated cover over the top.

-Counter weight cast numbers- I will get some details for you.

-Tank telephone- left rear door....same as the Leopard but a different handle

-Cable reel mounting bracket- on the right antenna mount...a small bracket for the cable reel attachment to slide into.

I should be able to dig you up some images of all these details.

Maple Leaf Models produces the proper plastic jerry cans.

Gary Owsley
Gary Owsley

August 21st, 2007, 3:51 am #10

Hello, lets just all get along on this forum, I asked a question that didn't require a smart ass reply like "UH" , its clear that we all share a common interest here and all come for help, so lets leave it at a respectful level to one another, thanks.
You wanted info on the kit, I pointed it out. By the way, we've all got along just fine up to this point. If looking farther down the page before asking a question is a hassle for you, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to help.