Need some help with anti slip panels on 113

Need some help with anti slip panels on 113

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

February 24th, 2003, 1:40 pm #1

Hi Guys,
After a lengthy break from the bench, I am back at it! I am working on a 113 and have the back ramp down. Any ideas for putting the anti slip coating on the inside of the back ramp (you know they, paint scatter sand then paint?)I am having a bugger of a time trying to get something to look to scale. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks to JP for putting out his interior set,I took great pleasure in crushing with a hammer the retarded looking heater that I had attempted to build! I was going to post a picture of it so you all could laugh at it but couldn't wait to kill it. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Mark Minnis

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

February 24th, 2003, 2:01 pm #2

Can anyone suggest paint colors for the old three color pattern, I have the Black, and Olive drab, but what would be a good color to use for the light green?
The pattern in question is well shown in Paul's Model Gallery.(Maybe I should be asking him this question!)
Thanks,

Mark

Mark Stares
Mark Stares

February 25th, 2003, 1:09 am #3

Hi Mark,

I just finished spraying my canuck tow mutt in the old three tone scheme... used tamiya nato black, model master acryl green drab and model master acryl olive drab for the paint. Not exactly right but does the job for me.

as for the non slip finish perhaps talcum powder or baking soda ( or baking powder? apparently one of them is too reactive) some guys use it to replicate the rough texture of rusty surfaces... might work.

Mark

Paul Fredenburg
Paul Fredenburg

February 25th, 2003, 2:39 am #4

Can anyone suggest paint colors for the old three color pattern, I have the Black, and Olive drab, but what would be a good color to use for the light green?
The pattern in question is well shown in Paul's Model Gallery.(Maybe I should be asking him this question!)
Thanks,

Mark
I did those M113s about 20 years ago. somewhere, I have an article in an old Military Modeler magazine which says what the colour is. I'll try to find it.

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

February 25th, 2003, 12:51 pm #5

While I was looking at your Fantastic TUA last summer I think I saw some No Slip panels on the back deck. Could you part with your technique you used? Also that pattern was hand painted wasn't it, so I could airbrush OD and then hand paint the rest? That pattern wouldn't be on the top, but I am not sure of the front or back? I have a few side shots but nothing else. Thanks again for your help.

Paul Fredenburg
Paul Fredenburg

February 26th, 2003, 11:14 pm #6

Last year, I had experimented with making anti-slip panels by crushing black sand and glueing it onto the model with liquid cement. Essentially the cement softens the surface of the plastic to give the edges of the rains something to stick to. I wasn't satisfied with the result so I have fixed strips of sanding film to the model.
AS for the old cam scheme, some units simply used a paint brush to apply the pattern over the base coat of OD. Later on spray guns were used. Mine are all done the old fashioned way.

February 27th, 2003, 2:41 am #7

Hi Mark,

I just finished spraying my canuck tow mutt in the old three tone scheme... used tamiya nato black, model master acryl green drab and model master acryl olive drab for the paint. Not exactly right but does the job for me.

as for the non slip finish perhaps talcum powder or baking soda ( or baking powder? apparently one of them is too reactive) some guys use it to replicate the rough texture of rusty surfaces... might work.

Mark
I use the old small bottled Testor enamels for the correct colours. Use OD Green, Olive Drab and flat black. I used to paint Lynx's by hand as well as spray gun. The colours I have mentioned are the closest to the actual colours that I have come across.

March 10th, 2003, 5:44 pm #8

Hi Guys,
After a lengthy break from the bench, I am back at it! I am working on a 113 and have the back ramp down. Any ideas for putting the anti slip coating on the inside of the back ramp (you know they, paint scatter sand then paint?)I am having a bugger of a time trying to get something to look to scale. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks to JP for putting out his interior set,I took great pleasure in crushing with a hammer the retarded looking heater that I had attempted to build! I was going to post a picture of it so you all could laugh at it but couldn't wait to kill it. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Mark Minnis
Mark,

Try using filler putty (your choice, but I use Tamiya and Cdn Tire products) thinned with Testors liquid cement. I vary the consistancy of this putty depending on what I am doing, but usually it is quite thin. Cut down the bristles of a cheap Testors brush to about 3-4mm. Stipple the thinned putty onto the parts, reworking the putty while still wet in order to get the desired thickness and effect.

I saw M113 ramps (and other non-slip areas) in various states. I've not found a 'grit application' that represents the non-slip better than the stippling method.

I mentioned Cdn Tire - yep, big honking tube of 'Spot & Glaze Putty' from the automotive section. Cheaper than any modelling putty out there... and just as good for most applications.

Cheers,
Jeep

October 6th, 2004, 12:22 pm #9

Hi Guys,

Mark Minnis
Mark,

Is this your award winning effort? How about an image or two for everyone to see? Give us a breakdown of what you used for your anti-skid, paint, etc.

Email some pics to me and I'll put them up.

Cheers,
Jeep

Jim Caddo
Jim Caddo

October 22nd, 2004, 8:58 am #10

Hi Guys,

Mark Minnis
http://www.vodnik.net/ Look under features (top right of page)
Try this page,I used this way to do the surface of a C2 and it came out not bad for my fist try.