modern gear reference book

modern gear reference book

luc desormeaux
luc desormeaux

July 8th, 2003, 12:07 am #1

hi all,
anybody know of books available for reference on modern canadian uniform, web gear, etc. let say from korean war to this date ???
I want to be able to collect all "aspect" of a canadian soldier in the beginning of the '80 (time i was part of the LES FUSILIERS MONT-ROYAL regiment).
thanks for your help
luc

July 21st, 2003, 4:49 am #2

Try

BUS DRIVER JACKETS OF THE CANADIAN FORCES Vol 1 by Robert Emerson Dilton "Red" Serge

also

NECKERCHIEFS AINT JUST FOR GIRLS: Silk Neckwear of the Canadian Armed Forces 1969-1974, by Clive Law, Service Publications, 2002.

and pricey, but worth a look is

LAGOON, LINDEN AND RIFLE: CANADA'S NAVY GOES GREEN by Bruno Gerussi, 1975

It really wasn't a period of time anyone is proud of...

Dana J Nield
Dana J Nield

July 21st, 2003, 12:43 pm #3

You clearly forgot:

R.C.A.S.C. PASTRY CHEF TRENCH WARFARE by Gwen Dyer.

GORBACHEV, MY ROLE IN HIS DOWNFALL by J.P. Morgan.

AMALGAMATION: THE WORLD WILL FOLLOW IN OUR FOOTSTEPS by Paul Hellyer.

July 23rd, 2003, 8:17 pm #4

... but I don't recall writing this -
GORBACHEV, MY ROLE IN HIS DOWNFALL by J.P. Morgan

Was it good??

(Aluminum Pot Syndrome - the rotting of one's brain caused by eating out of mess tins or foil bags too much.)

Cheers,
JP

July 23rd, 2003, 8:37 pm #5

Try

BUS DRIVER JACKETS OF THE CANADIAN FORCES Vol 1 by Robert Emerson Dilton "Red" Serge

also

NECKERCHIEFS AINT JUST FOR GIRLS: Silk Neckwear of the Canadian Armed Forces 1969-1974, by Clive Law, Service Publications, 2002.

...we saw the release of the trend setting expose -

CAMOUFLAGE THE OFFICE, NOT THE FIELD, by J. DeChastelain

A truly inspiring work by such a well respected author which covered the illustrious polyester Garrison Jacket, it's short service life and final relegation to the duckhunting community. The first chapter discusses the use of the camouflage SSF smock as garrison wear rather than field wear (camouflage in the field was not required for the CF), and the fashion precedent that this misuse created, leading to the Garrison Jacket. There is also an extensive annex covering the various camouflage patterns trialled by the CF in that same time, but were dismissed as OG107 was still the best camouflage money could buy.

Highly recommended.

Apparently another Canadian uniform book is to be released shortly -

CADPAT - CAM WHAT WE HAVE WITH RELISH by A.Eggleton

Apparently this book will cover how millions (billions?) can be spent on a camouflage uniform to bolster morale and raise Reserve recruiting, and help camouflage the state of the rest of the equipment. Also included will be a detailed explanation as to why OG107 is no longer the best camouflage money can buy.

Tongue in Cheek,
Jeep

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

July 24th, 2003, 6:01 pm #6

A definitive study done to show that soldiers in theatre only need camo blankets. Following a study of civil servants sleeping on the job it was decided that soldiers would sleep the same amount on the job. The Canadian Government forced a pilot project on the military showing to issue tan relish camoflage blankets instead of uniforms would be cheaper because soldiers sleep all the time just like civil servants. The results were unknown as the pilot ran over budget and the results were partially compiled three times by a private firm.

Clive M. Law - Service Publications
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

July 31st, 2003, 8:18 pm #7

Try

also

Mickey! I'll get you for this;

"NECKERCHIEFS AINT JUST FOR GIRLS: Silk Neckwear of the Canadian Armed Forces 1969-1974, by Clive Law, Service Publications, 2002."

My definitive book on CF uniforms, as everyone knows, is "Green with envy - how the Navy was shipwrecked and the Air orce grounded" With detailed appendices on how NDHQ banned tribalism in the Militia and agressive spirit in the Regs. Clive M. Law (writing under the pen name of M. A. Dorosh) published by Hootch and Slit Trench Press (a Rambo subsidiary of House and Garden)

July 31st, 2003, 11:02 pm #8

Clive,

Well done! you take the cake for best CF book title! I'm still chuckling about that!

What other titles does Hootch and Slit Trench publish?

I've been buying the wrong references all these years!

Cheers,
JP

August 2nd, 2003, 5:16 pm #9

hi all,
anybody know of books available for reference on modern canadian uniform, web gear, etc. let say from korean war to this date ???
I want to be able to collect all "aspect" of a canadian soldier in the beginning of the '80 (time i was part of the LES FUSILIERS MONT-ROYAL regiment).
thanks for your help
luc
Luc,

Hopefully you have, and if so, how about informing everyone here about what you've found? I'm unaware of any definitive reference for what you're hunting. Perhaps someone like Ed Storey or Mike Dorosh (the 'buckles and badges' experts that I know) has some references on '58 pattern and '64 pattern webbing, definitive info on when we went from battledress to bush dress to OG107 combats, etc.

There was a book published about 15 years (or more!) ago which covered the history of 4CMBG in Germany. It had many pictures of the various uniforms and equipment in use. Unfortunately, I gave mine to my Father years ago (bowed to a father's pride, stupidity, etc!), so I'm unable to help any further.

Cheers,
JP

luc desormeaux
luc desormeaux

August 2nd, 2003, 9:26 pm #10

sorry to be late on this, but i want to thank you all for your help !! Now i will have to be patient and wait until i can found one of the titles you gave me ......
cheers
luc