February 21st, 2012, 2:05 pm #1

where does that vehicle live?

Does anyone know it's history?

Thanks

P

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 21st, 2012, 4:58 pm #2

"Spartan" ....M4A2E8...serial number CT-261354.

It was a gate guard at Harvery Barracks in Calgary until the Strathconas moved to Edmonton. It now with the LdSH(RC) in Edmonton.

Historically "Spartan" is the name given to the Regimental Headquarters Squadron Sergeant's tank.

I don't know the operational history of the tank when it was still a runner.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 21st, 2012, 5:07 pm #3

where does that vehicle live?

Does anyone know it's history?

Thanks

P
There appears to be conflicting info on the serial number.

CT-261354 is the serial number provided by the LdSH(RC) in their official historical article log.

Here is another serial number in the IPMS winnipeg "Preserved AFVs in Canada" log...

http://www.ipmswinnipeg.ca/CDNAFV.htm

February 21st, 2012, 5:45 pm #4

has it as 69059. I have some photos I'll check.

Edit:
The CT #261354 is not the actual vehicle serial # which is stamped on the rear tow lugs (69059). It's not up front anymore, I think it's out back now (Anthony?).

Jim
Last edited by leopardC2 on February 21st, 2012, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2012, 5:49 pm #5

That list has the 2 shermans here in London listed as the same model.
The Holy Roller is an ealier model and my understanding as a Duplex Drive one belonging to the 1st Hussars. The Hussars have a D-day memorial at it every year. I have Photos from one of them on photobucket.
The other one is the gate guard at the new entrance to ASU london and has the name Angel painted on the flanks. No idea where it came frome.

Peter Hickey
Peter Hickey

February 21st, 2012, 6:57 pm #6

"Spartan" ....M4A2E8...serial number CT-261354.

It was a gate guard at Harvery Barracks in Calgary until the Strathconas moved to Edmonton. It now with the LdSH(RC) in Edmonton.

Historically "Spartan" is the name given to the Regimental Headquarters Squadron Sergeant's tank.

I don't know the operational history of the tank when it was still a runner.
the turret on that vehicle (Spartan) is the only General Steel turret that I have found as Canadian M4A2E8, the rest (4, that I know of) are Continental castings including "Boss" the BCR gate guard. "Boss" might have been a range target at one time as there are quite a few small calibre hits.
Not 100 percent sure about this.

This might be a real long shot , and super geeky, but is there any way of finding out which foundries supplied which vehicles to which units?....for example; the British Columbia Regiment had 20(just an arbitrary number) M4A2E8s on active duty, ready to roll.How would you find out which of the 20 were General castings and which were Continental? I would need the CT numbers and the regimental histories, yes?

I think I might be obsessing a bit here.

Now that I'm on this M4A2E8 kick this week I'm a sponge (good thing I'll forget all this stuff soon, my simple little brain would explode if I retained all of it...)..next week it'll be something else I'm sure. Feel free to roll your eyes and shake head.

As always Thanks for your patience,

Pete

February 21st, 2012, 8:49 pm #7

I think the only way would be to look at the foundry casting marks on the turrets themselves. I think I have photographed every M4A2 76 HVSS in Alberta, unless there's one up at Fort McMurray that no one knows about...

Jim

Peter Hickey
Peter Hickey

February 21st, 2012, 10:25 pm #8

matter? I'm not writing a book or anything.

I think your right, although there must be a record somewhere.

Cheers

P

Roy Stevens
Roy Stevens

February 21st, 2012, 10:50 pm #9

That list has the 2 shermans here in London listed as the same model.
The Holy Roller is an ealier model and my understanding as a Duplex Drive one belonging to the 1st Hussars. The Hussars have a D-day memorial at it every year. I have Photos from one of them on photobucket.
The other one is the gate guard at the new entrance to ASU london and has the name Angel painted on the flanks. No idea where it came frome.
I may be wrong but there's no sign of the wading gear metal fairings. 1st Hussars landed a good number of tanks right onto the beach and I think only one squadron was DD equipped. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
On another note, is the best way to a 1/35th scale M4A2E8---Sherman IIIAY still the Dragon M4A2 with after market HVSS (I'm thinkin' AFV Club)? I also have a Chespeake Model Designs turret I plan to use for this project someday...sigh...someday...

Cheers,
Roy

Peter Hickey
Peter Hickey

February 22nd, 2012, 12:07 am #10

the Dragon Thunderbolt kit as per others suggestions. Easily one of Dragons better offerings.

It's been an easy project (with the exception of the foundry marks, my own sillines!)with all the parts except the T80 track. I replaced the hull MG and the main gun with RB models products.I also replaced the pioneer tools with Formations stuff.The casting marks come from Archer.

Missing is the proper exhaust diffuser for the A2. There is also an issue with the instructions.

Not sure if this helps or not.

P