Leopard 2A4 Rebuild Photo

Leopard 2A4 Rebuild Photo

January 11th, 2012, 5:59 pm #1

From Rheinmetall site, a nice photo of the re build of the ex Dutch, now Canuck Leo 2A4's.

http://www.rheinmetall.ca/en/rheinmetal ... ration.php

Anthony

January 11th, 2012, 10:10 pm #2

see if I can direct link it...

GD

January 12th, 2012, 1:21 am #3

From Rheinmetall site, a nice photo of the re build of the ex Dutch, now Canuck Leo 2A4's.

http://www.rheinmetall.ca/en/rheinmetal ... ration.php

Anthony
That is a nice image...I had saved it back in September 2011 from that site...as well as the ARV 3 image.

Here's another image of the tanks before they started getting stripped down...

Cam Scott
Cam Scott

January 12th, 2012, 4:48 am #4

It's really good that they are getting a thorough refit before being put back into service for us. The one that I saw up close in Gagetown had a broken hydraulic hose and the drivers hole had 2 inches of red hydraulic fluid on the floor. I can;t wait to see them finished.

On anther note, any idea what the ADATS in the back of the picture is doing at the refit line?

Cam Scott
Cam Scott

January 12th, 2012, 4:49 am #5

*progress N/T

January 12th, 2012, 1:51 pm #6

It's really good that they are getting a thorough refit before being put back into service for us. The one that I saw up close in Gagetown had a broken hydraulic hose and the drivers hole had 2 inches of red hydraulic fluid on the floor. I can;t wait to see them finished.

On anther note, any idea what the ADATS in the back of the picture is doing at the refit line?
probably getting ready for life as one of these:

Seriously, I have no idea why it's there, other than there may be some components worth stripping off. We certainly are not upgrading any of the fleet.

GD

Cam Scott
Cam Scott

January 12th, 2012, 8:24 pm #7

That is what I was worried about. Hopefully we will see some sort of new GBADM system in the next little while. I hope they prioritise it higher than the LRPRS that they want to buy. Any news if 4 AD has done the official name change yet? last I heard, it was going to change to 4 General Support Regiment and placed in 1 Div.

January 13th, 2012, 12:59 pm #8

Cam, I have not seen any dedicated GBAD projects for the CA. In that last decade, we've scrapped Javelin S-15, GDF-005 2x35mm, SkyGuard FCU, and all but scrapped ADATS.

In terms of AD capability, we're now left with the LAV canon, some ancient .50 cal AA ground mounts(that I doubt anyone remembers how to put together), and a couple hunded trained AD gunners with perishable skills.

Nothing in the Army inventory that could deal with a fast mover. I would not be surprised if JTF-2 or CSOR had some kind of MANPADS, but that's speculation on my part.

It would not be the first time 4 AD, or at least 119 AD Bty, wore the 1 Cdn Div red rectangle. I think we had it on our uniforms as late as 1992.

GD

Bertie Baumgartner
Bertie Baumgartner

January 13th, 2012, 10:11 pm #9

Maybe if a need does come we'll just adopt something from the U.S. like the Avenger system but on a LAV instead of a Humvee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/TWQ-1_Avenger

January 13th, 2012, 11:33 pm #10

Cam, I have not seen any dedicated GBAD projects for the CA. In that last decade, we've scrapped Javelin S-15, GDF-005 2x35mm, SkyGuard FCU, and all but scrapped ADATS.

In terms of AD capability, we're now left with the LAV canon, some ancient .50 cal AA ground mounts(that I doubt anyone remembers how to put together), and a couple hunded trained AD gunners with perishable skills.

Nothing in the Army inventory that could deal with a fast mover. I would not be surprised if JTF-2 or CSOR had some kind of MANPADS, but that's speculation on my part.

It would not be the first time 4 AD, or at least 119 AD Bty, wore the 1 Cdn Div red rectangle. I think we had it on our uniforms as late as 1992.

GD
GBAMD is on the radar for the CA but it is so far in the future that there is no real work being done on it. Even the Americans are scraping their avengers/Bradleys and resorting to good old air superiority and patriot for ballistic missile defence.