Kevlar wrapping

Kevlar wrapping

Bob Clifton
Bob Clifton

December 12th, 2001, 4:42 am #1

From the photos I have seen, the kevlar wrapping may very well have a texture, but I have only seen that texture from photos taken VERY close to the vehicle. To me, there is no way that it would show in 1/35 scale. My idea is to simply use lead foil, which is available from VLS in .008" (approx. .25mm) thickness. It is easy to work with (ie, wrapping and such) and can be easily configured to show loose sections and ripped pieces. Am I completely wrong using this approach? Can the texture REALLY be seen?
cliftonra
rcliftonTAKEMEOUT@optonline.net (remove TAKEMEOUT before sending)

JP Morgan
JP Morgan

December 12th, 2001, 9:28 pm #2

Bob,

I'm still not convinced that the ceramic armour covering is actually kevlar. Seems awfully thin to provide any sort of protection - my flakjacket is 6-8 times thicker, and it won't even stop 7.62mm or 5.56mm. I'd suggest that it's simply a reinforced rubberized covering to contain / protect the ceramic plates, with the plates themselves providing the additional vehicle protection.

As for portraying it in 1/35th, I've been playing around with black hockey tape, white glue, Mr. Surfacer, etc. Lead foil might prove easier to cut though. IMO, some texturing (even in 1/35th scale) would be a good thing, especially when modelling a more worn vehicle.

Is this for that Husky of yours, or are you onto another AVGP project?

Cheers,

Jeep
(remove TAKEOUT before sending)

Tom Rea
Tom Rea

December 12th, 2001, 9:43 pm #3

From the photos I have seen, the kevlar wrapping may very well have a texture, but I have only seen that texture from photos taken VERY close to the vehicle. To me, there is no way that it would show in 1/35 scale. My idea is to simply use lead foil, which is available from VLS in .008" (approx. .25mm) thickness. It is easy to work with (ie, wrapping and such) and can be easily configured to show loose sections and ripped pieces. Am I completely wrong using this approach? Can the texture REALLY be seen?
cliftonra
Hi

I looked at it and took some upclose and personal pics of it and I think that Jeeps' idea of hockey tape or some reallly bad toilet paper would work.

I grabbed some of the latter out of the TCU's in Banja Luka and with a thin application of white glue should work out. It is already rough in texture and as we all know paper with some white glue is fairly easy to work with.

HTH

Tom

December 12th, 2001, 9:50 pm #4

Tom,

Careful of using toilet paper for such endeavours - TP is designed to break down quickly after coming in contact with water, and may result in a mush on your kit. :-(

Stick to Kleenex.

Cheers,

Jeep

(Remove 'TAKEOUT' to reply)

Tom Rea
Tom Rea

December 12th, 2001, 11:01 pm #5

Jeep,

You have been there!! Then again you were at a cushy Cdn camp.. ;-)

This stuff is thick and rough, this stuff is mild sandpaper, this stuff is used by ref techs to scuff up surfaces prior to painting ... You get the idea.

:-)

T

December 12th, 2001, 11:22 pm #6

What have you got to lose? Go for it. British paper from BLMF? Probably same British paper we endured in '96. I don't recall the texture, but do remember the irritation...! As Paul F would say, "If you can't buy quality, buy British'. (Only jesting with our Commonwealth Brethren)

You'd want to be careful with any type of tissue paper application that no wrinkles are present - the real stuff is almost too thick to wrinkle.

Cheers,

Jeep

Bob Clifton
Bob Clifton

December 13th, 2001, 4:26 am #7

While this certainly is a most "moving" conversation, could we maybe get back to my problem?! ;-)

Since I do not have the luxury of using the fine assortment of TP that you guys seem to have, I wonder if I could simply do the white glue with kleenex idea over the lead foil. I just think the hockey tape might be a bit too rough, and trying to get a somewhat uniform finish by applying glue to the tape might be tough.

From what few photos I have, the wrapping almost looks like a thick mouse pad, am I close? I think I'd agree with JP on the fabric, as kevlar, even in it's most simple form has to be thicker than the roughly 1/4" thickness I can see.

Yes, JP, it is for my Husky. I came to a screaming halt when I determined that somewhere along the line, you Canadians decided that it might be a good idea to change cranes on your Husky's! Why the hell would you do that?
So, having fabricated one from various pictures, I now realize that I have a crane with pieces taken from two different manufacturers!
So, when I get the enthusiasm to go back to it, I'd like to know what I am doing.
Also, given that I'll be doing it as a somewhat beat up version, I'll also have to paint the thing as I'm assembling it, to get the proper greens, tapes, wrappings, etc. This better be worth it!
All the best
Bob Clifton

December 13th, 2001, 7:47 pm #8

Bob,

Your idea of kleenex and white glue over the lead foil would certainly do the trick, I think. A lot of work though. You had mentioned one time about attempting to texture the lead foil - any further thoughts on that? The brand of hockey tape I picked up is a fairly fine weave, and some experimentation with white glue / Mr. Surfacer provided the desired effect. It did take a few coats though. For me, the black hockey tape has the added advantage of being black - so any bits of overhanging flaps, etc. that I miss with the black undercoat won't be noticed.

I've put my Grizzly aside while I modify a Hobby Fan Cougar to an SFOR vehicle with the ceramic armour. Been working on the hex plates using your technique of chopping a bunch from hex rod (thanks for that again, BTW!) and sanding as a group before placement on the vehicle. Working well so far.

The Husky crane situation is a mystery to me, although I'll ask around and see what I can come up with. Hopefully a few guys here in the DG might be able to help too.

>This better be worth it!

Always worth it! It's a hobby!

Cheers,

Jeep

December 31st, 2001, 9:31 pm #9

cliftonra
Bob,

I've been running some tests, and it seems as though you may be on the right track with the lead foil. I just may end up going that route as well.

You say the VP stuff it the best source? How big are the sheets?

Cheers,

Jeep

Tom Rea
Tom Rea

January 4th, 2002, 3:16 pm #10

cliftonra
Hi

I have added a new walk around, this time of a Grizzly. I included a close-up of the add on armour covering. I have some other detail shots and can add a seperate page if desired.

http://www.thot.net/~trea/armour.htm

Hope it helps.

Tom
trea@thot.net