Hobby Boss Leo 2A6M Can

Hobby Boss Leo 2A6M Can

Cam Scott
Cam Scott

December 17th, 2009, 9:56 pm #1

Have you guys seen this over on Armorama? Looks good.....

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... e&sid=6081

December 17th, 2009, 11:54 pm #2

Hi Cam, it was on ML a couple months back. If you follow the link, it takes you to a test shot of the 2A6. I'd buy it just for the slat armour, especially if Lucky is selling them in the $20 range.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/th ... lat+armour

GD

December 18th, 2009, 2:35 am #3

Re: Hobby Boss
Last edited by c2jerrett on January 25th, 2010, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 18th, 2009, 5:41 pm #4

However, they use the same design firm that do the CAD drawings of their kits and cut the molds for them. Which is why their kits look similar.

Plastic looks the same, as they probably buy it in bulk, ie: 2 heads are better than one, and the 2 companies probably do share different items, however they are 2 separate entities.

As far as Graeme's comment about the kit, he never said that the kit itself was the best thing since sliced bread, but that the slat armor might be worth the price of the kit alone, especially when the common warning with the Eduard slat is to open a 40oz of your favorite beverage before attempting to build.

Personally I think the HB kit is great, and will be an excellent alternative for someone wanting a relatively quick build to do a modern CDN Leo, or not wanting to shell out 4 X the price to get the Tamiya kit with all the upgrades to do the same, never mind the extra amount of time all those upgrades will take to build. I have everything I need to do a CDN Leo2A6M with slat, with the Tamiya kit, Storm Miniatures conversion, Eduard Slat and aftermarket tracks, but I will definitely be picking up at least one of the HB kits for myself as well.
Last edited by viper29_ca on December 18th, 2009, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 18th, 2009, 6:35 pm #5

Hello Scott,

I agree that for more modelers are aftermarket set expensive and PE slat very problematic.
Many modelers choose this easy way. But HB leopards need (all type) aftermarket detail set resin and PE because
their detail no correct. New Bronco tracks is inexpensive.
I see during last two or three months many leo model which modelers build on Tamiya base, Danish, Netherlands, Spanish version.
For Tamiya Leo don't need upgrade sets only one detail PE set( for HB too), Track set (for HB too) PE set Slat Armor (for advanced modeler this is no big problem for
begin modeler this is big problem) Plastic slat is no realistic and no solid as PE slat which is soldering.
I know that for many modelers is price on first place.
As say Chris any HB Leopards are not good as Tamiya.

Miloslav

PS. one man from Trumeter somewhere say that HB is Trumpeter's prototype firm.

December 19th, 2009, 12:29 am #6

While I agree, the Tamiya Leo is a better kit all around, however at about $20 more than a HB Leo, it is an attractive alternative.

If you are doing a CDN Leo2A6M.....you still have to buy an upgrade set for the Tamiya Leo for all the extra parts that are on a CDN Leo.

HB has apparently fixed some of the mistakes on the Leos with their last release, I have no doubt that the CDN version will be of the upgraded kit.

In the end, it is going to come down to how much work people want to put into it, and how much money they want to spend.

Tamiya Leo - $65, Storm Miniatures Leo2A6M conversion, $45, Eduard Slat $40, set of tracks, $20, $160 total, and then another $20-$25 if you want to add the rest of the Eduard PE.

The HB kit will probably be in the $45-$55 range.....that is a huge difference.

As far as the plastic slat....the only picture that has been seen (other than the new Challenger) is the prototype build up of the HB one....hardly what the end product will likely end up looking like. I think people need to wait and see what the finished product looks like, before passing judgment and condemning it.

Besides, in the end, if it walks, talks, and acts like a duck.....must be a duck.

As far as HB being Trumpeter's b&*tch, simply not true, they just happen to use the same design bureau.

Roy Stevens
Roy Stevens

December 19th, 2009, 2:49 am #7

This kind of comment is why I seldom post here.

I guess I'm a "weekend worrier" (I actually tend to worry more during the week), and a "table hobbist" (are these even smaller than Tolkien's regular hobbits?) By the way, Chris J., I've got two MLM Leopard C2 conversions and you can't have either as I'm saving them for weekend worrying and table hobbitsing!

Roy

December 19th, 2009, 8:56 am #8

While I agree, the Tamiya Leo is a better kit all around, however at about $20 more than a HB Leo, it is an attractive alternative.

If you are doing a CDN Leo2A6M.....you still have to buy an upgrade set for the Tamiya Leo for all the extra parts that are on a CDN Leo.

HB has apparently fixed some of the mistakes on the Leos with their last release, I have no doubt that the CDN version will be of the upgraded kit.

In the end, it is going to come down to how much work people want to put into it, and how much money they want to spend.

Tamiya Leo - $65, Storm Miniatures Leo2A6M conversion, $45, Eduard Slat $40, set of tracks, $20, $160 total, and then another $20-$25 if you want to add the rest of the Eduard PE.

The HB kit will probably be in the $45-$55 range.....that is a huge difference.

As far as the plastic slat....the only picture that has been seen (other than the new Challenger) is the prototype build up of the HB one....hardly what the end product will likely end up looking like. I think people need to wait and see what the finished product looks like, before passing judgment and condemning it.

Besides, in the end, if it walks, talks, and acts like a duck.....must be a duck.

As far as HB being Trumpeter's b&*tch, simply not true, they just happen to use the same design bureau.
I buy Tamiya Leo on E-bay shop or on Lucky Model, Bronco Tracks too.
Leo Tam. cost $ 32,-tracks $ 10,- PE detail set $ 37,-
Leo HB cost $ 20,-tracks $ 10,- PE detail set $ 37,- upgrade set PSM $60,-

This i price version 2A5-2A6 (no CDN)
Don't forgot that HB build only from box is very problematic. I build five this model but with out
my upgrade set (many parts is the same wit 2A4) and Eduard PE set.
I agree that weekend modelers don't have time for big build (w/PE sets) and need
inexpensive models.
Miloslav

December 19th, 2009, 3:27 pm #9

Re: Tamiya
Last edited by c2jerrett on January 28th, 2010, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 19th, 2009, 4:27 pm #10

so am i to read correctly i'm only allowed to build 2nd class models?
As a weekend warrior (Sgt in the PRes) and a kitchen table hobbyist (only place in my townhouse that i can work!) seeing kits like these makes me happy. they may not be perfect but this kit and the up coming LAV III will be awesome additions to my collection. and honestly isn't that what modelling is about... enjoyment.
Ubique,
A real Weekend Warrior

ps by the way right now i'm working on a Dragon M1 Aim with tusk kit from Legend as well as a mine roller. not quite 2nd class eh ?