Haiti Mission - Canadian Armour?

Haiti Mission - Canadian Armour?

January 17th, 2010, 3:49 pm #1

Are we going to see any armour deploying to Haiti with the additional 1000 Canadian troops headed there to assist with disaster relief?

Maybe some Engineer vehicles or security elements?

January 17th, 2010, 4:41 pm #2

Re: Rescue mission
Last edited by c2jerrett on January 25th, 2010, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cam Scott
Cam Scott

January 17th, 2010, 5:08 pm #3

Are we going to see any armour deploying to Haiti with the additional 1000 Canadian troops headed there to assist with disaster relief?

I heard that they are sending approx 60 vehicles and some "armoured SUV's" as the CBC put it. So maybe G-Wagons? There is no IED threat and this matches what the CBC may term "Armoured SUV's". I could see Engineering vehilces go down there. Stuff like MPEV's. I doubt they will send a Badger.

Chris- as for the rescue mission.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/01/ ... dents.html

You said that they were being held up? I just read it and they were robbed of 10000k but there was no word that they were being held. I also doubt that JTF2 will be sent to pick these guys up. I am guessing that SAR Griffon probably just flew inland and start flying people back and forth. In all honesty the roads are probably out and they have no way to make it to Port au Prince.

January 17th, 2010, 5:31 pm #4

Re: Rescue mission
Easy there buds. Let's not start wildly speculating. In future, is there any chance of you checking your sources (more than one, hopefully) slightly better before hitting the 'Respond' button?

I mean, the students are 'stranded' 44kms from PauP, not 10kms (although given the pathetic road network in Haiti prior to the quake, being stranded 10kms away isn't hard to believe), they had $10k of relief funds stolen from their compound (it wasn't their personal funds but relief funds) not them personally, and even before you posted there were media reports of a Griffon being used to transport the injured, and the remainder being brought to PauP by bus. No middle of the night Commando raid, no cavalry charge, no guns blazing, nothing to base a movie or a diorama on...

http://www.canada.com/news/Canadian+mil ... story.html
"...A military helicopter picked up two adults who needed medical attention from the Grand Goave compound they were staying at, flying the pair to the airport, before taking them to the Canadian Embassy in Port-au-Prince.
Military personnel then went to the site in three buses, gathering the 17 teens and remaining seven chaperones from the scene, about 45 kilometres from the Haitian capital.
The buses were on their way back to Port-au-Prince on Sunday..."

According to the MND on Friday and again today, Armd G-Wagons are the only armour mentioned as being deployed at this time.

JTF-2 being employed to conduct humanitarian evacuations of refugees? You're kidding, right?

January 17th, 2010, 5:50 pm #5

HI

Sitting here at work, like I have been since Tues ...

At the moment the only "armd" vehs are sched to be G-wagons. There will be an engineer capability and I suspect it will in the form of back-hoes, graders, front end loaders etc.

Six CH-146 GRIFFON (SAR and Tac Avn) along with 1 x CH-124 SEAKING will be our in theater lift capability.

Since Haiti is NOT a NEO i.e. anarchy (lol) loss of govt control (LOL) and a humanitarian relief mission, there is no need to send in JTF-2 to "rescue" starnded students. In fact a SAR CH-146 has evac'ed two of the aforementioned group.

Those of us who have served know this could change the next time a certain person flinches and shoots their mouth off ..oops sorry I digress. Anyway, stayed tuned to credible media or watch the Minister's conferences as they are generally reliable.

T

January 17th, 2010, 6:48 pm #6

Easy there buddy! hahah! Jeez, you make an airforce guy work a weekend and goes all army on you!

I heard from a rummie at the legion that JTF-2.1 were called in to rescue some Delta Force guys that were 'turned' into zombies by a haitian voodoo queen. But the 2.1 operators were unable to distinguish between zombies and regular haitians, so there was a lot of collateral damage. This would make a totally rad diorama!

heh heh...you said "Back hoes", heh heh.

GD

January 17th, 2010, 6:52 pm #7

Or maybe going now, not sure if CEFCOM has actually tasked them. No doubt there will be some form of D&S platoon (sect ?) for the hospital for obvious reasons.

I think it is a 5 CMBG led op, we have just been asked to provide augmentation. I would guess 5 CER will be on the hook for some vehicles.

There was already 9,000 UN soldiers in Haiti at the time of the quake - not sure what vehicles they are in though.

GD

January 17th, 2010, 6:55 pm #8

Easy there buds. Let's not start wildly speculating. In future, is there any chance of you checking your sources (more than one, hopefully) slightly better before hitting the 'Respond' button?

I mean, the students are 'stranded' 44kms from PauP, not 10kms (although given the pathetic road network in Haiti prior to the quake, being stranded 10kms away isn't hard to believe), they had $10k of relief funds stolen from their compound (it wasn't their personal funds but relief funds) not them personally, and even before you posted there were media reports of a Griffon being used to transport the injured, and the remainder being brought to PauP by bus. No middle of the night Commando raid, no cavalry charge, no guns blazing, nothing to base a movie or a diorama on...

http://www.canada.com/news/Canadian+mil ... story.html
"...A military helicopter picked up two adults who needed medical attention from the Grand Goave compound they were staying at, flying the pair to the airport, before taking them to the Canadian Embassy in Port-au-Prince.
Military personnel then went to the site in three buses, gathering the 17 teens and remaining seven chaperones from the scene, about 45 kilometres from the Haitian capital.
The buses were on their way back to Port-au-Prince on Sunday..."

According to the MND on Friday and again today, Armd G-Wagons are the only armour mentioned as being deployed at this time.

JTF-2 being employed to conduct humanitarian evacuations of refugees? You're kidding, right?

Last edited by c2jerrett on January 25th, 2010, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 18th, 2010, 12:46 am #9

A few TLAV are tasked to go only in a support role for all the engineering eqpt going down. Rest of the stuff is all B vehs (wheeled) and engineer. Info obtained from the Op Order so pretty factual.

January 18th, 2010, 2:12 am #10

Quote "It a humanitarian mission with series potential threats. Yes I was series about my question regarding JTF,as I know nothing about their purpose this is why it was a question."

Ya think? Yes, it's painfully obvious that it's a humanitarian mission, since they just suffered a major quake, and we're not at war with Haiti. Not sure about the series of potential threats you speak of though... or did you mean 'serious'? Sure, any mission has the potential for serious threats, particularly given the unsanitary conditions in Haiti (bad enough before quake), the crime rate, unstable and now ineffectual government, Haitians becoming desperate, etc. But cripes, the Olympics has the potential for serious threats, the Ice Storm 98 had the potential for serious threats, etc. Driving your car in winter has potentially serious threats. You're not telling us much here.

So you were serious about the JTF-2 question. Fair enough not knowing much about them, as the unit is very secretive about itself, and for good reason. A quick Google search (www.google.ca) for 'JTF-2' yielded all kinds of general information which leads the average person to gain a rudimentary understanding of JTF-2 and their roles, but here is the URL of the official CF site nonetheless:
http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/ajt-sfo/index-eng.asp

But now you refer to 'JTF', which is potentially a different entity altogether:
http://www.canadacom.forces.gc.ca/site/org-org-eng.asp

But I'm sure that this won't satisfy you, and you'll want to get in the last word on this, then say something Forrest Gump-like such as 'And that's all I have to say about that' or "No more Lib. VS PC from me as well" (you started that political thread, then fueled it), but seriously... "I don't care". (Yes, lots of DG members remember when you said that, and have commented on it to me.)

Last edited by MapleLeafModels on January 18th, 2010, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.