Grizzly question

Grizzly question

James Knaus
James Knaus

May 4th, 2012, 10:14 pm #1

Hi fellas, been a whiile since I've been here. I would like to know if there are gun barrels out in the AM market for the turret? If so wich ones should I look for? Next have any of you heard of a replacement turret? I have tried to find everything I could on the modification of the turret, but I'm not understanding what I have to do. So I'll look for a replacement first and barring that ask if there are any in work pictures anywhere so I can see what I have to do to fix the kit one. Thanks very much for any help.
James

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

May 4th, 2012, 11:32 pm #2

What don't you understand about correcting the turret?

You have some good choices for barrels...it depends on how much you want to spend.

For the .50 Cal....

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... 50cal.html

For the 7.62 mm (C5 GPMG)....

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... 30cal.html

But, this is not just about changing barrels....if you want to use the 7.62 mm C5 GPMG barrel you need to back date the turret and the turret sight (look at Ying's build).

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/m ... s+Jason%21

If you want to build a 1994 or later Grizzly you will need to replace the 7.62 mm GPMG with a C6 barrel of your choice....the kit has the correct gunner's sight for this version.

For that barrel look for any C6, MAG 58, or M240 machine gun for the barrel.

For current turret choices you can...

1. Correct the kit turret...see Ying's build.

2. Buy the Best Value Models Grizzly AVGP conversion and use the turret.

3. Buy the Best Value Models M113A3 TLAV conversion and back date the turret to a Grizzly uparmoured turret....but then you will have to add armour to the entire hull.

4. Be patient as a correct resin Grizzly turret might come along.

James Knaus
James Knaus

May 4th, 2012, 11:51 pm #3

Well the part I wasnt quite understanding was the angles. My read on it is basically to put the turret together, cut off the front and back and swap them. Then remove the grenade boxes and rebuild them just off of the sides. Looking at Yings build there is definitely more to it than that. I have a Cougar I wanted to build as a 1H vehicle from the early 80s. The Grizzly I wanted to build as a RCR vehicle from CFB London at the same time. As I build mostly WWII stuff my refs are woefully inadequate. I appreciate the help. I might be getting in over my head again.
James

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

May 5th, 2012, 12:04 am #4

What you described and I stated in my review for the basic structural corrections for the turret is correct.

Granted it is not just a simple parts swap but the turret angles are 180 degree backwards...the front angle and length should be at the back of the turret when you compare it to the rear turret.

Cutting off the ends and swapping them does create issues with the gun trunnions and mounts...but that should be anticipatedwhen moving major parts around.

Ying has obviously back dated the turret, used plastic sheet as replacement parts, and added a bunch of missing details.