Final work in progress Grizzly hope you all like it.

Final work in progress Grizzly hope you all like it.

July 16th, 2012, 2:43 am #1

Hello Everyone
I thought I would post my final build complete as far as I can go. I have completely rebuilt the upper turret gun sight with great thanks to Francois Huot's help in finding me the right photos. In my observations I have found the upper turret ring surrounding the cupola was actually taller. So back to the sheet styrene I went. The photo-etch you see is actually Aber 1/48 scale clasps. I have learned that these are no longer available. From observation these are perfect to scale for 1/35, Mirko Bayerl of the book Nordic Edge was right.
[/IMG]

The Antennae mount spring is ET Model and it actually flexes, which I will later tie down. From my observations I could not find any of Trumpeter kits with a correct Jerry can. I found that AFV Club makes the right one.
[/IMG]

The front head lights again I found better detail in the AFV Club kit, it even gave me detail of the rear part of the headlight that you can see in the real ones. The wheels are ET Model resin.
[/IMG]

The tarp cover was made by rolling A+B putty together, it is just tacked in place till I'm ready for painting. I found that the photo-etch that came with the Grizzly supplied the guards for the side indicator lights. I tried them and found they are really too large, and had to remake them with styrene.
[/IMG]

The rear lights will have the wire guards in place after I paint the lights and vehicle.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The one thing that is totally wrong is the engine deck grills. The grills actually point in the other direction. I actually made the frame and tried to make a new set of grills, but for some strange reason I couldn't get it right. So... the next time I hope I will have a better Grizzly, this one will stand as is with this glaring error!!..
[/IMG]

When I tried to place the upper tool stowage like the real vehicle, I found I had next to no room at all. In my research I found the rear upper hatches of the kit are way too big. If you look at the real vehicle, I found the hatches are not as long in length. Making new ones from styrene allowed me to position the tools. Thanks Jason for you help in this area.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

One of the challenges for me was the rear part of the sight and building it in styrene. I actually built this by wrapping styrene around a drill bit. The other part I didn't think would turn out to my surprise was the fastening knob atop the sight. It was a tiny piece of plastic punched out with a punch and die, then worked in with a needle file.
[/IMG]

The machine guns are RB Barrels in brass and they are very nice.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

This gun sight is a real challenge to all who will try it. It has many geometric angles to figure from a photo, and to add not easy to scale down to 1/35.
[/IMG]

This concludes the build portion of this model for me. I wish to give great thanks to Jason, and Francois for all the help. I would not have been able to come this far. Next time I post it will be with paint. I hope all have enjoyed the pictures as I have enjoyed building the kit.

Best regards all... Ying

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

July 16th, 2012, 4:40 am #2

Hi Ying,

Thanks for sharing your project...without a doubt you have put a ton of research and effort into correcting the kit and adding extra details.

Well done!!

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

July 16th, 2012, 1:54 pm #3

Hello Everyone
I thought I would post my final build complete as far as I can go. I have completely rebuilt the upper turret gun sight with great thanks to Francois Huot's help in finding me the right photos. In my observations I have found the upper turret ring surrounding the cupola was actually taller. So back to the sheet styrene I went. The photo-etch you see is actually Aber 1/48 scale clasps. I have learned that these are no longer available. From observation these are perfect to scale for 1/35, Mirko Bayerl of the book Nordic Edge was right.
[/IMG]

The Antennae mount spring is ET Model and it actually flexes, which I will later tie down. From my observations I could not find any of Trumpeter kits with a correct Jerry can. I found that AFV Club makes the right one.
[/IMG]

The front head lights again I found better detail in the AFV Club kit, it even gave me detail of the rear part of the headlight that you can see in the real ones. The wheels are ET Model resin.
[/IMG]

The tarp cover was made by rolling A+B putty together, it is just tacked in place till I'm ready for painting. I found that the photo-etch that came with the Grizzly supplied the guards for the side indicator lights. I tried them and found they are really too large, and had to remake them with styrene.
[/IMG]

The rear lights will have the wire guards in place after I paint the lights and vehicle.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The one thing that is totally wrong is the engine deck grills. The grills actually point in the other direction. I actually made the frame and tried to make a new set of grills, but for some strange reason I couldn't get it right. So... the next time I hope I will have a better Grizzly, this one will stand as is with this glaring error!!..
[/IMG]

When I tried to place the upper tool stowage like the real vehicle, I found I had next to no room at all. In my research I found the rear upper hatches of the kit are way too big. If you look at the real vehicle, I found the hatches are not as long in length. Making new ones from styrene allowed me to position the tools. Thanks Jason for you help in this area.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

One of the challenges for me was the rear part of the sight and building it in styrene. I actually built this by wrapping styrene around a drill bit. The other part I didn't think would turn out to my surprise was the fastening knob atop the sight. It was a tiny piece of plastic punched out with a punch and die, then worked in with a needle file.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

This gun sight is a real challenge to all who will try it. It has many geometric angles to figure from a photo, and to add not easy to scale down to 1/35.
[/IMG]

This concludes the build portion of this model for me. I wish to give great thanks to Jason, and Francois for all the help. I would not have been able to come this far. Next time I post it will be with paint. I hope all have enjoyed the pictures as I have enjoyed building the kit.

Best regards all... Ying
Good on you for fixing everything but it is too bad that these need this much work.

July 17th, 2012, 2:58 am #4

Hello Everyone
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Best regards all... Ying
Very nice Ying!

Your work is amazing! Glad my photos helped!
Can't wait to see it in it's paint!
If you need the Tamiya mixes for the exact colours (not scaled) just send me a PM!

It's all Frank's Fault!!!! Planes-Armor-Sci-Fi... It's all plastic!

July 17th, 2012, 6:36 am #5

Thanks Francois
Yes I am a bit perplexed as to how to approach the paint. We are so used to using the airbrush. I wonder about how it would look if I just masked carefully and sprayed. Then I wonder if I base coated the first colour and then brushed on the remainder colours? Either way I think works, I don't know how you guys may approach this subject. Share what you think is best. I am open at the moment to ideas. I like the approach to pre-shading, and the idea of colour highlights. It really punches up the depth of colour to the model. Now you got me itching to get going!

Best regards and thanks again Ying.

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

July 17th, 2012, 12:50 pm #6

Hello Everyone
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Best regards all... Ying
Echoing the comments here - great work and a superb reference for those of us who want to fix it the Trumpeter kit, but I look at it with some chagrin that in this day and age of easy access to the real deal, how a kit maker can still get so much wrong.

July 17th, 2012, 6:43 pm #7

Thanks Graeme
Yes absolutely I agree. I did not think I was going to do as much as I did. I figured it could have been a few changes. When I read some of the early reviews written, I did not believe it. The other Trumpeter kits are well done. The Grizzly project with them has me scratching my head wondering how they dropped the ball. I was glad I found an actual Grizzly to photograph, it was the foundation of my kit build.

Anyway everyone now can beniefit from my project to build one of their own. My wish is for an aftermarket set that does all this hard work, because I want to build another one. One glad note for me is I can still scratch build pretty decently, I usually am a regular out of box builder for the fun of it.

Thanks again and happy modeling

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

July 18th, 2012, 12:44 pm #8

Thanks Francois
Yes I am a bit perplexed as to how to approach the paint. We are so used to using the airbrush. I wonder about how it would look if I just masked carefully and sprayed. Then I wonder if I base coated the first colour and then brushed on the remainder colours? Either way I think works, I don't know how you guys may approach this subject. Share what you think is best. I am open at the moment to ideas. I like the approach to pre-shading, and the idea of colour highlights. It really punches up the depth of colour to the model. Now you got me itching to get going!

I got to see some of Pat Johnston's 48th kits yesterday. He's done a couple in hard edge, multi-colour cam schemes using white-tack putty as a masking agent and it gives a razor sharp edge. The trick is to push the edge of the putty down flush to the plastic. Looked really good, and no need to worrk about 1:1 scale brush marks.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

July 18th, 2012, 2:17 pm #9

Thanks Francois

It depends on how you want to show your Grizzly. The camouflage scheme was sprayed at a 2nd line level. The hard edge was visible when the crews repainted the vehicles by hand.

Both soft and hard edged lines could be found. Personally, I think the soft edge lines looks better on the AVGPs.

July 19th, 2012, 1:53 pm #10

Thanks Francois

I would spray it, then maybe add a few hard edge touch ups. Hand brush around where C/S would go and maybe a few other spots. Not many Grizzly's would have that much hand painted camo.

Mark