Early C1 Green question

Early C1 Green question

July 16th, 2007, 1:29 am #1

Ok I have searched online and looked at my references but unfortunately I lost a lot of my saved images due to a hard disk issue last week. I am working on my early C1 Leopard and looking at the paint. There are pictures out there but they just aren't giving me the warm fuzzies regarding the shade I am seeing. Anyway...

My memories of seeing the beast in person in the early 80s are that it was more like OD than the current NATO green color. Anyone got any suggestions for a color (I use tamiya paints if that helps).

I did mix up some paint based on Jasons formula from his excellent C1 build in AFV Modeler but perhaps I didn't get it right because it appears a lot darker than the pics of his finished tank. Shade seems ok but maybe a little on the grey side to my eye (which is why I think I got the portions wrong). Also considered adding some yellow to Tamiya OD but that seems more WW2 OD to me.

Any ideas? Thanks gang.

Rob

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

July 16th, 2007, 2:02 am #2

Rob,

Just play around with the colours. My mixture in the article had additional washes, weathering, and pigments and it adjusted the colour.

Try using the XF-74 JGSDF Olive Drab and just the XF-51 Khaki Drab. You can always use a filter or lighter over spray to darken or lighten it.

Here is some other info that might help you...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/t ... 106880462/

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

July 16th, 2007, 3:04 am #3

Ok I have searched online and looked at my references but unfortunately I lost a lot of my saved images due to a hard disk issue last week. I am working on my early C1 Leopard and looking at the paint. There are pictures out there but they just aren't giving me the warm fuzzies regarding the shade I am seeing. Anyway...

My memories of seeing the beast in person in the early 80s are that it was more like OD than the current NATO green color. Anyone got any suggestions for a color (I use tamiya paints if that helps).

I did mix up some paint based on Jasons formula from his excellent C1 build in AFV Modeler but perhaps I didn't get it right because it appears a lot darker than the pics of his finished tank. Shade seems ok but maybe a little on the grey side to my eye (which is why I think I got the portions wrong). Also considered adding some yellow to Tamiya OD but that seems more WW2 OD to me.

Any ideas? Thanks gang.

Rob
Rob,

Jason has given you some very useful references. There is a good Colour Guide book pubished by IPMS Canada back in 1998 (I think it might still be available) came with colour chips of the RAL colours.

ROCO at one time offered a set of three colours for the SCAPP Camo scheme; I think they are Humbrol products. They should still be available from places you can get ROCO kits.

Bear in mind that the wear and tear, weathering effects, the amount of dust in the field, time of the day, type of films used in taking the pictures, colour setting of the reference books and the resolution of your monitor all have bearing on the appearance of the photos. Not to mention the "Scaled Colour" effect on the model. I think close enough is good enough.

Alfred

July 16th, 2007, 7:27 pm #4

Rob,

Just play around with the colours. My mixture in the article had additional washes, weathering, and pigments and it adjusted the colour.

Try using the XF-74 JGSDF Olive Drab and just the XF-51 Khaki Drab. You can always use a filter or lighter over spray to darken or lighten it.

Here is some other info that might help you...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/t ... 106880462/
I am going to shoot a few batches of stuff through the airbrush tonight so I will see what works. I searched ML for info and never managed to find your thread sorry about that. I hate wasting peoples time when I miss something.

Appreciate your help and btw was that a C2 of yours I saw in the AFV Modeler 35 preview?

July 16th, 2007, 8:19 pm #5

Rob,

Jason has given you some very useful references. There is a good Colour Guide book pubished by IPMS Canada back in 1998 (I think it might still be available) came with colour chips of the RAL colours.

ROCO at one time offered a set of three colours for the SCAPP Camo scheme; I think they are Humbrol products. They should still be available from places you can get ROCO kits.

Bear in mind that the wear and tear, weathering effects, the amount of dust in the field, time of the day, type of films used in taking the pictures, colour setting of the reference books and the resolution of your monitor all have bearing on the appearance of the photos. Not to mention the "Scaled Colour" effect on the model. I think close enough is good enough.

Alfred
I will look for that book thanks. I realize I have some latitude (which is good I think) and I might be over thinking this (wouldn't be the first time for me on that.. lol). This C1 has been on my to do list for so many years I am ashamed to admit it. Once this is farther along I will get started in my Recce jeep and that should be a fun one also.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

July 16th, 2007, 8:49 pm #6

I am going to shoot a few batches of stuff through the airbrush tonight so I will see what works. I searched ML for info and never managed to find your thread sorry about that. I hate wasting peoples time when I miss something.

Appreciate your help and btw was that a C2 of yours I saw in the AFV Modeler 35 preview?
It's hard to find the right colour without playing around with mixtures.

My KFOR Leopard C1A1 MEXAS is in issue 35 of AFV Modeller.

July 17th, 2007, 2:32 am #7

I have a copy coming in the mail so I am looking forward to reading the article. Good to see another Canadian subject in print. congrats

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

July 17th, 2007, 3:44 am #8

I will look for that book thanks. I realize I have some latitude (which is good I think) and I might be over thinking this (wouldn't be the first time for me on that.. lol). This C1 has been on my to do list for so many years I am ashamed to admit it. Once this is farther along I will get started in my Recce jeep and that should be a fun one also.
Rob,

Reading through my own posting; I have spot my own mistake. The Colour Guide was published back in 1989 not 1998! You have to contact them directly; I got it through mail order.

Alfred

July 17th, 2007, 4:06 am #9

It's hard to find the right colour without playing around with mixtures.

My KFOR Leopard C1A1 MEXAS is in issue 35 of AFV Modeller.
Nice Leo Jason well done

July 17th, 2007, 4:40 pm #10

I have a copy coming in the mail so I am looking forward to reading the article. Good to see another Canadian subject in print. congrats
Read a copy last weekend, great work Jason, really excellent article!