Cougar engine deck

Cougar engine deck

Jim Carswell
Jim Carswell

March 21st, 2013, 1:02 am #1

I think I know the answer already, but I'm working on a replacement engine deck for the Trumpeter Cougar (and I think it's the same for the Grizzly/Husky) so I'm just seeing if there's any interest to make a mold for a few extra castings...

Jim

March 21st, 2013, 1:09 am #2

How the real ones should look like...
(shoulda logged in)

Jim

Bertie Baumgartner
Bertie Baumgartner

March 21st, 2013, 1:47 am #3

I'd take two, I'm also trying to figure out what to do about the props. The prop guards on mine didn't fit very nicely.

March 21st, 2013, 2:15 am #4

I think I know the answer already, but I'm working on a replacement engine deck for the Trumpeter Cougar (and I think it's the same for the Grizzly/Husky) so I'm just seeing if there's any interest to make a mold for a few extra castings...

Jim

AVGP Cougar CFR 44520
CFB Borden, Base Maint 2005
post-AVGP life extension

Note the bar that runs at an angle across the top of the engine bay cover. It may not be an AVGPLE upgrade because I'm sure I saw it on an 8CH Cougar at Moncton in 2002. Must scan pics now....
Last edited by ScottMunro on March 21st, 2013, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2013, 3:04 am #5

CFB Borden 2005
Certainly NOT post AVGPLE. This was in the R&D compound. Headed for Africa, Bovington or maybe even New Glasgow...

CFR 44509
8 Canadian Hussars (Militia)
Spring, 2002

This one also has that diagonal bar on the stbd front of the engine grille. Who knows why? Differences between production lots, perhaps.

This Cougar was VMO'd from the Armour School to 8 CH. That explains the run-down condition.

Also, this turret (and many, MANY others) is a solid green - not matching either green on the hull - because Cougar turrets started to develop cracks in the aluminum. The problem was widespread, so the fleet's turrets were inspected. The failing turrets were pulled, re-welded and re-painted. I've read the technical order and mod instructions, but I need to reread it for the timeframe.

OK, enough UFI.
Last edited by ScottMunro on March 22nd, 2013, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

March 21st, 2013, 3:14 am #6

Jim
Ya, I have about six AVGPs planned...at least a few I would like to look accurate.

March 21st, 2013, 3:29 am #7

Jim
I'm in for a minimum of 5 N/T

March 21st, 2013, 3:31 am #8

AVGP Cougar CFR 44520
CFB Borden, Base Maint 2005
post-AVGP life extension

Note the bar that runs at an angle across the top of the engine bay cover. It may not be an AVGPLE upgrade because I'm sure I saw it on an 8CH Cougar at Moncton in 2002. Must scan pics now....
Scott Bar = Blast deflector It's on all Cougars N/T

March 21st, 2013, 3:49 am #9

CFB Borden 2005
Certainly NOT post AVGPLE. This was in the R&D compound. Headed for Africa, Bovington or maybe even New Glasgow...

CFR 44509
8 Canadian Hussars (Militia)
Spring, 2002

This one also has that diagonal bar on the stbd front of the engine grille. Who knows why? Differences between production lots, perhaps.

This Cougar was VMO'd from the Armour School to 8 CH. That explains the run-down condition.

Also, this turret (and many, MANY others) is a solid green - not matching either green on the hull - because Cougar turrets started to develop cracks in the aluminum. The problem was widespread, so the fleet's turrets were inspected. The failing turrets were pulled, re-welded and re-painted. I've read the technical order and mod instructions, but I need to reread it for the timeframe.

OK, enough UFI.
Once the turret upgrade project started, the turrets were pulled and replaced one for one with the CARC painted turrets.

Anthony

March 21st, 2013, 2:33 pm #10

Jim
I would be interested in this as an after-market product. Of course costs will dictate how many, however with a fleet of Cdn AVGPs and a handful of Italeri LAVs for conversion to other Piranha I users, the list is endless.
Bob