Centurion Twin Forty SPAAG

Centurion Twin Forty SPAAG

December 20th, 2010, 2:20 am #1

Made some progress this weekend. Doubt it will be done by 31 Dec..maybe built, but not painted.

This is what I had in mind when I started, I've since changed the radar a bit. It was too bulky with the lower housing (read: I couldn't figure a good a way to mount it )

AFV Club Centurion Hull. This is the 67 IDF boxing, but you get parts to make it look more Canadian (headlights, front armour plate). You don't get the searchlight, turret basket, or LR fuel tanks in this boxing. Replaced the grab handles with .015 and .020 brass wire:

No turning back after cuts like this

Some .050 strip raises the roof to the right height. Lots of CA used here

Much sanding later..

General idea:

Next up will be fairing in the oversize Cent turret with the AMX DCA front

Need to figure out some details, like MBSGD, AMU, and of course turret stowage as the old Cent bins won't fit... or will they?

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

December 20th, 2010, 6:50 pm #2

Very good project....I'll post some images of my WOTIF Cougar DFSV soon.

December 21st, 2010, 3:10 pm #3

Made some progress this weekend. Doubt it will be done by 31 Dec..maybe built, but not painted.

This is what I had in mind when I started, I've since changed the radar a bit. It was too bulky with the lower housing (read: I couldn't figure a good a way to mount it )

AFV Club Centurion Hull. This is the 67 IDF boxing, but you get parts to make it look more Canadian (headlights, front armour plate). You don't get the searchlight, turret basket, or LR fuel tanks in this boxing. Replaced the grab handles with .015 and .020 brass wire:

Much sanding later..

General idea:

Need to figure out some details, like MBSGD, AMU, and of course turret stowage as the old Cent bins won't fit... or will they?

GD
I like where you are going with this. Keep us updated.

Rob
--------------
Rob Feehan

December 22nd, 2010, 8:07 am #4

much putty and much sanding later...

GD

December 23rd, 2010, 3:43 pm #5

Looks like the one I started years ago except with twin 105 C1 Howitzers....a conversion DND actually toyed with. I have original sketches....but never finished the conversion.
Keep posting!
Cheers
Don

December 24th, 2010, 3:42 am #6

Much sanding later..

General idea:

GD
I could not get the turret bin to fit, so I decided to go with a basket. The joy of WOTIF.

Thanks to Sam Dwyer for the push to do the texture finish. Looking at 1:1 scale cents, the cast surface is very apparent. After masking, a stubby brush stabs Mr S 500 on the cast parts. It dries pretty quick, and in about an hour, a sanding sponge knocked down the high points.

Couldn't resist breaking out the blu-tack for a quick mock up shot...

Still to do:
Comd's 50 cal (anyone got pics of the mount? I've got a spare Academy M113 .50 mount and bracket)
MBSGD.... thinking lower front turret, 4 per side; or, 8 hull mounted ones adjacent to the driver (similar to ADATS, YPR)
Tracks. The kit tracks are way too tight, I think I mounted the idler too far forward.
Stowage bin for left side of turret
APU on rear of turret
turret tie-down loops
fender mounted jerry can racks

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

December 24th, 2010, 5:20 am #7

Fantastic work on the turret.

Send me an email and I'll help you out with the .50 mount.....are you just looking for how the mount was attached to the cupola?

December 24th, 2010, 3:40 pm #8

much putty and much sanding later...

GD
A nice looking rig. And inspiration to get my M765 TUA back on the modelling desk.
Bob

January 5th, 2011, 10:07 pm #9

Much sanding later..

General idea:

GD
Added the air conditioner, fuel can racks for the generator / APU / white-boxes-I-have-yet-to-glue-to-the-side-of-the-turret

gas racks:

tried giving it an updated looked with Leo MBSGD, but, wasn't feeling it, so popped them off and went with OEM Cent ones.

AC! And in typical Brit designed fashion, the cold air must be routed beside a hot engine deck before reaching the turret, pip pip!

Need something to dress up this side of the turret. I'm leaning towards a gas generator / APU style thing and maybe a rack for spare roadwheels.

big ol turret basekt will hold 3 large cam nets and some crew gear.

Half tempted to have it hauling an armoured ammuntion trailer loaded with 40mm boxes. I reckon inside the turret there would only be room for a few combat bursts!

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

January 5th, 2011, 10:57 pm #10

It looks great...the turret is really coming together.

The idea of the ammo trailer is good....the M42 Duster carried about 480 rounds of 40 mm in four round clips in the turret.....that would be 120 clips....and they still towed the M332 trailer.

I like the Centurion grenade launchers....keeps it looking stock.

How about the long turret stowage box for the left turret side?

Perhaps racks for spare 40 mm barrels?

Have you thought of a big old searchlight? Cold War era armour....everything had searchlights....perhaps mounted on the left turret side?

Keep it going...Pip Pip!