Captured AVGP

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

12:06 PM - Aug 18, 2005 #1

Is this a Cdn Grizzly captured by the Serbs?

6:45 PM - Aug 18, 2005 #2

Graeme,

You better believe it is a captured Grizzly. Here are a couple of other photos I have of the Serb Grizzlies, they even have the add-on ceramic armour and Kevlar covers:

I am not exactly sure about the details of the capture. Grizzlies didn't arrive in Bosnia until late September 1994 just as I was leaving, I was in charge of the guys that picked them up from Split in Croatia, so they must have been captured in late 1994 or in 1995 prior to IFOR arriving.

I think that the image you posted is the same vehicle in the second image I posted...so there must have been at least two captured.

I believe they were acquired by the Serb "Special Forces"/"Internal Security Forces".

8:44 PM - Aug 18, 2005 #3

Is this a Cdn Grizzly captured by the Serbs?
Hi

I heard they were rebuilt after we abandoned/wrote them off/scrapped them ...

Regardless, a cool colour variation

T

9:07 PM - Aug 18, 2005 #4

Graeme,

You better believe it is a captured Grizzly. Here are a couple of other photos I have of the Serb Grizzlies, they even have the add-on ceramic armour and Kevlar covers:

I am not exactly sure about the details of the capture. Grizzlies didn't arrive in Bosnia until late September 1994 just as I was leaving, I was in charge of the guys that picked them up from Split in Croatia, so they must have been captured in late 1994 or in 1995 prior to IFOR arriving.

I think that the image you posted is the same vehicle in the second image I posted...so there must have been at least two captured.

I believe they were acquired by the Serb "Special Forces"/"Internal Security Forces".
If rumour proves correct, they were 'acquired' by the Serbs from the VanDoos. IIRC, it was around the time as the 'Freedom 55' 'hostage' incident. Did you see the 'acquired' Humvee in the first photo?

11:59 PM - Aug 18, 2005 #5

I think the Hummers do actually belong to the Serbs. Check out these images of the modified vehicles for more Internal Security type roles:

Take a look at the push bar bumper and the foot and grab rails running along side the body.

Armoured glass vision blocks for the hull compartment and rear doors.

Easy targets for Molotov cocktails.

Interesting that they have automatic grenade launchers mounted for Internal Security.

1:06 AM - Aug 20, 2005 #6

Just seems strange that the US would sell mil-spec Hummers to the Serbs, when the Serbs were in conflict with NATO forces in Kosovo, etc, and judging by the 'Hummer' logo on the tailgates, I bet that they are simply civilian Hummers purchased 'via other means'.

Yep, despite the fancy bushguards and junk, they are big grenade sumps.

An AGL for IS ops! Go big or stay home, I guess. Then again, they do have different methods...

1:16 AM - Aug 20, 2005 #7

CS is good at crowd control. CS fired through a belt-fed AGL is very good at crowd control

Die Schlange-Grube

1:18 AM - Aug 20, 2005 #8

Hi

I heard they were rebuilt after we abandoned/wrote them off/scrapped them ...

Regardless, a cool colour variation

T
Never heard that before. While it's certainly no guarantee that this is the policy, I was under the impression that any time we scrapped a vehicle that it was shipped back home.

Wasn't there a Serb-acquired AVGP reclaimed up on Mt Igman late in the UNPROFOR days?

2:51 AM - Aug 20, 2005 #9

Just seems strange that the US would sell mil-spec Hummers to the Serbs, when the Serbs were in conflict with NATO forces in Kosovo, etc, and judging by the 'Hummer' logo on the tailgates, I bet that they are simply civilian Hummers purchased 'via other means'.

Yep, despite the fancy bushguards and junk, they are big grenade sumps.

An AGL for IS ops! Go big or stay home, I guess. Then again, they do have different methods...
I agree with the HUMMER logo on the tailgate.

Soon as I saw it I thought..."Do they have a HUMMER dealership in Belgrade?"

6:30 PM - Aug 20, 2005 #10

My original comment concerning the Hummer being an acquisition was based on the caption I recall seeing on the Grizzly / Hummer pic when I first saw it on the internet somewhere awhile ago. Now seeing the Hummer logo on the tailgate, it's obvious that they are civilian pattern vehs that have been heavily modified. I'm only assuming that the riot control arrangement of the vehicles isn't a Hummer option!

They really aren't 'civilian pattern' now, eh? I wonder how many they have? I bet the vehicle history is interesting.