Canadian Prototype and Trial AFVs

Canadian Prototype and Trial AFVs

February 9th, 2013, 10:39 pm #1

It would be great to post those unique images of prototype and trial vehicles that are now just What Ifs.

Here are a couple of old images from the AVGP trials. It is apparent the Cougar in the trials does not look the same as the production model and what is that in the background? A V-150 with a 76 mm gun!

The Scorpion turret mounts a different style coffin bin and the British night sight is fitted to the right side of the main gun.

As well the DND censor tried to black out the MOWAG Piranha 6x6 and Cougar stencilling on the hull. Love the Piranha drawing!

Let's get those V-150, Fox, and Scimitar images posted as well as any other trial vehicle from over the years.

February 9th, 2013, 11:24 pm #2

Never seen that pic before - nice find! I wonder if it was part of the same trial as the Cougar? Or if there was a separate recce vehicle trial?

GD
Last edited by gcdavidson on February 9th, 2013, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2013, 11:29 pm #3

It would be great to post those unique images of prototype and trial vehicles that are now just What Ifs.

Here are a couple of old images from the AVGP trials. It is apparent the Cougar in the trials does not look the same as the production model and what is that in the background? A V-150 with a 76 mm gun!

The Scorpion turret mounts a different style coffin bin and the British night sight is fitted to the right side of the main gun.

As well the DND censor tried to black out the MOWAG Piranha 6x6 and Cougar stencilling on the hull. Love the Piranha drawing!

Let's get those V-150, Fox, and Scimitar images posted as well as any other trial vehicle from over the years.

Not sure if this one belongs here - it might have been an actual in-service variant that I'm just not familiar with. AVGP Grizzly equipped with Direction Finding (DF) Antenna:

GD

February 10th, 2013, 12:14 am #4

I wonder how long this was before the Bison program? Looks like an in service Grizzly that's been converted for the trials (looks like LETE)

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 10th, 2013, 7:00 am #5

Never seen that pic before - nice find! I wonder if it was part of the same trial as the Cougar? Or if there was a separate recce vehicle trial?

GD
The Mowag Piranha with Scorpion turret (AKA Cougar), the V-150 with 76 mm, and the EE-11 Urutu with Scorpion turret were all part of the Direct Fire Support Vehicle (DFSV) / AVGP trials.

February 10th, 2013, 1:39 pm #6

I wonder how long this was before the Bison program? Looks like an in service Grizzly that's been converted for the trials (looks like LETE)
if that can be used as a guide to place the timeframe... hard to say with some vehicles as not all appear to have been captured by the various DLIR / upgrades.

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 10th, 2013, 7:42 pm #7

With no prop guards and no visible sign of the dual shocks on the front suspension I would say this trial vehicle is pre-1985.

February 12th, 2013, 8:13 pm #8

All pics copyright NDIL not for commercial reproduction.

CFR plate tactfully deployed over top of UK registration:

Wouldn't want to be driving hatches open like these guys when that fifty goes off..

Now Recruiting: Gunners with exceptionally long arms to load multi-barrel mortar:

I'm going to try building this one:

Sublime workmanship getting that 1m turret onto the AIFV hatch opening.

Is this the same turret that those other guys put on their Lynx C&R?

Air Defence, what was once old, may be new again

Q: What handles worse than an M-113? A:

Why did we buy fancy-schmancy barracuda cam, when we could have had the mat-techs dice up a modular tent and go to town with some white paint?

20 years before CADPAT, we trialled this uniform. I've got a shirt and pants from it, I wonder if its worth anything to the collectors?

No idea..Sherman something with a something on the back and a something on the front

Never knew we had Land Rovers in the CF:

C2 gunner trials ultra-compact night sight, enjoys getting photo taken:

This must be for grooming 5 CMBG's ski hill?

GD

February 12th, 2013, 8:51 pm #9

Graeme
That Sherman with the Gen set on the back was from one of the LETE programs back in the 60's. The idea was to use Hi powered electro- magnets to pull buried mines out of the ground. It didn't work as well as they thought. It end up here in Calgary before the base got closed and was used to clear the range of debris. Last I heard of it, It had been brought up to the Strat's historical troupe. You could say it was the longest serving Sherman in the Canadian miltary. I didn't know there even was a picture of it.
The M113a1 with the bridge layer was from the U.S. known as a
M113A1 MTAB (Marginal Terrain Assault Bridge). I didn't know we tested them. The Americans used them in Vietnam with some success.
You guys always find some of the cool stuff we tried out.
Seeya Shane

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

February 12th, 2013, 8:57 pm #10

All pics copyright NDIL not for commercial reproduction.

CFR plate tactfully deployed over top of UK registration:

Wouldn't want to be driving hatches open like these guys when that fifty goes off..

Now Recruiting: Gunners with exceptionally long arms to load multi-barrel mortar:

I'm going to try building this one:

Sublime workmanship getting that 1m turret onto the AIFV hatch opening.

Is this the same turret that those other guys put on their Lynx C&R?

Air Defence, what was once old, may be new again

Q: What handles worse than an M-113? A:

Why did we buy fancy-schmancy barracuda cam, when we could have had the mat-techs dice up a modular tent and go to town with some white paint?

20 years before CADPAT, we trialled this uniform. I've got a shirt and pants from it, I wonder if its worth anything to the collectors?

No idea..Sherman something with a something on the back and a something on the front

Never knew we had Land Rovers in the CF:

C2 gunner trials ultra-compact night sight, enjoys getting photo taken:

This must be for grooming 5 CMBG's ski hill?

GD
Those are fantastic images, thanks for posting them....and great inspriation for tons of CF What Ifs!

The C2 gunner IR night sight is great. It looks very much like the WWII German Vampir...