Canadian Leopard 1A2

Canadian Leopard 1A2

February 3rd, 2013, 10:34 pm #1

Going back old school before Barracuda, slat armour, and laser rangefinders I wanted to build a Canadian Leopard to depict where it all started back in 1977 with the Rent-a-Tank Canadian Leopard 1A2s. The two Squadrons of Leopards had next to no modifications except for Canadian radios and some add-on extra stowage boxes on the turret.

The HKCW tracks are being built and then the painting starts.

We very rarely see any Canadian AFV builds carrying the tank chains commonly seen carried in Germany so this was a great opportunity to show them off.

Paul Fredenburg
Paul Fredenburg

February 4th, 2013, 1:42 am #2

Is that the Perfect Scale turret?

February 4th, 2013, 2:02 am #3

Thanks Paul,

Yup, that's the PSM turret. The only detail missing that I had added was the rain gutter along the bottom rear edge.

February 4th, 2013, 5:07 am #4

They are present on 80% of the C-2 fleet as well. A lot of first and second batch turrets still in use.

Anthony

Richard Pearce
Richard Pearce

February 4th, 2013, 7:22 am #5

Going back old school before Barracuda, slat armour, and laser rangefinders I wanted to build a Canadian Leopard to depict where it all started back in 1977 with the Rent-a-Tank Canadian Leopard 1A2s. The two Squadrons of Leopards had next to no modifications except for Canadian radios and some add-on extra stowage boxes on the turret.

We very rarely see any Canadian AFV builds carrying the tank chains commonly seen carried in Germany so this was a great opportunity to show them off.

Hi Jason.
Great to see you building more good old Leopard ones!!!.A fine fine job so far.Am still beavering away with my 2,Grrr damn photo etch tool brackets!!!.
Always inspiring work.
All the best from Richard

February 4th, 2013, 7:37 am #6

The 1A2 turret looks great. Where did you get the rail chains?

Paul

February 4th, 2013, 12:19 pm #7

I don't recall ever seeing anyone model this version.

Is that the tamiya base kit? If not, I've never seen an Italeri mould in that colour plastic; mine are usually light grey or a black-green.

Can I ask why you used the PSM turret? I thought Italeri made a Leopard 1A2, which begs the question.

Nothing beats karaya for tow cables, eh!

February 4th, 2013, 1:48 pm #8

Hi Graeme
Although Italeri label their Leopard 1 as a 1A2, it isn't. It is closer to 1A1. The shape of the rangefinder head on 1A2 is very distinct as you will see on Jason's build. It has an oval shape and the actual turret was cast with a thicker shell than the old Leo 1 and 1A1.

The shape of the Italeri 1A1 rangefinder is also wrong as they have depicted it as perfectly round. It isn't and Perfect Scale have done their best to depict it correctly in their latest early Leopard 1 correction set.

All plastic Leopard 1 cast turrets have their problems as do most resin ones. Someone will get it right one day.

Jason - as always that is a great build!

Cheers
Mike Shackleton
Leopard 1 Trilogy author

February 4th, 2013, 9:59 pm #9

Hi Jason
Lovely build. How was the fit between the original kit parts and the new turret?

Where did your tank chains come from?

Cheers
Mike

February 4th, 2013, 11:46 pm #10

Hi Jason.
Great to see you building more good old Leopard ones!!!.A fine fine job so far.Am still beavering away with my 2,Grrr damn photo etch tool brackets!!!.
Always inspiring work.
All the best from Richard
Much appreciated Richard,

You current Leo projects are coming along equally as well!