11:47 PM - Feb 04, 2013 #11

The 1A2 turret looks great. Where did you get the rail chains?

Paul
Thanks Paul,

The chains and tensioners are an MR Models product.

11:51 PM - Feb 04, 2013 #12

I don't recall ever seeing anyone model this version.

Is that the tamiya base kit? If not, I've never seen an Italeri mould in that colour plastic; mine are usually light grey or a black-green.

Can I ask why you used the PSM turret? I thought Italeri made a Leopard 1A2, which begs the question.

Nothing beats karaya for tow cables, eh!
Canadian Leo 1A2 builds are far and few between...Paul did one years ago...

http://www.trackjam.com/models/lprd1a2lg.htm

Mike pretty much covered off why I selected the PSM turret but I also used it as it has the correct Commander's cupola periscope layout and numbers too.

The base kit is the Italeri Leopard 1A2...but as Mike stated it is really a 1A1.

I have seen the Italeri/Testors Leo 1 kits come in OD, olive green, and dark blue!

11:54 PM - Feb 04, 2013 #13

Hi Jason
Lovely build. How was the fit between the original kit parts and the new turret?

Where did your tank chains come from?

Cheers
Mike
There were no fit issues at all that I encountered on the turret build. It was a very easy build.

The tank chains are MR Models....35296 Chains & Turnbuckles SLT Elefant.

Pete Hickey
Pete Hickey

4:52 AM - Feb 05, 2013 #14

Going back old school before Barracuda, slat armour, and laser rangefinders I wanted to build a Canadian Leopard to depict where it all started back in 1977 with the Rent-a-Tank Canadian Leopard 1A2s. The two Squadrons of Leopards had next to no modifications except for Canadian radios and some add-on extra stowage boxes on the turret.

The HKCW tracks are being built and then the painting starts.

We very rarely see any Canadian AFV builds carrying the tank chains commonly seen carried in Germany so this was a great opportunity to show them off.

Looks great as always, a lot of time was spent on those road wheels alone!

I jambed and got some resin aftermarkets.

Waiting patiently for paint.

P

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

3:16 PM - Feb 05, 2013 #15

Actually the road wheels weren't bad...I just attach them to the Dremel tool and sand them at low speed...repetitive but it works. The key is to watch the speed and the pressure of the sand paper so the wheels don't start to melt!

4:08 AM - Feb 06, 2013 #16

Going back old school before Barracuda, slat armour, and laser rangefinders I wanted to build a Canadian Leopard to depict where it all started back in 1977 with the Rent-a-Tank Canadian Leopard 1A2s. The two Squadrons of Leopards had next to no modifications except for Canadian radios and some add-on extra stowage boxes on the turret.

We very rarely see any Canadian AFV builds carrying the tank chains commonly seen carried in Germany so this was a great opportunity to show them off.

This is looking very nice, great work.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

5:34 AM - Feb 06, 2013 #17

Thanks Steve,

It's a fun project and one that brings me back to trying to build all versions of the Canadian Leopards.

5:44 PM - Apr 11, 2013 #18

Dear Jason,

A nice one, when can we see it completed with the track?

More photos please.

Regards,

Alan

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

9:41 PM - Apr 11, 2013 #19

As usual looking forward to some paint. Keep the pics coming.

Mark

Rick Saucier
Rick Saucier

10:32 PM - Apr 11, 2013 #20

Nice job Jason.

What did these rentals have for markings and how long did we keep them for?

cheers