Canadian Faun tank transporters

Canadian Faun tank transporters

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

February 19th, 2004, 4:34 am #1

I was told by someone who served with 4CMBG that we never use tank transporters in Germany. Tanks travel to ranges and training areas were done by rail.

Here is a link to some pictures of Faun tank transporters in Canadian markings.

http://www.geocities.com/cdnkit/phototheque_faun.html

I suppose this is another case of never say never. Can anybody throw some light on which unit was this ? And also what happened to these vehicles ?

Thank you in advance.

Alfred

Stephane Parent
Stephane Parent

February 20th, 2004, 9:01 pm #2

We had four of these tank transporters in Germany. They belonged to the Forward Mobile Support Unit (FMSU). We left them behind when we disbanded 4 CMBG. I believe they were sold back to the German but I am not certain of that.

luc desormeaux
luc desormeaux

February 21st, 2004, 2:12 am #3

Hi Stephane,
Did you get my last e-mail about the Faun ??
Luc

luc desormeaux
luc desormeaux

February 21st, 2004, 2:16 am #4

I was told by someone who served with 4CMBG that we never use tank transporters in Germany. Tanks travel to ranges and training areas were done by rail.

I suppose this is another case of never say never. Can anybody throw some light on which unit was this ? And also what happened to these vehicles ?

Thank you in advance.

Alfred

Hi Alfred,
I am the owner of the site you talking about.I will have a few more pictures of the Faun to put on my gallerie,thanks to Stephane Parent for those pics !!

Luc

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

February 21st, 2004, 7:18 am #5

Thank you in advance.

Alfred

Stephane, Luc,

Thank you very much for the information. So the guy that told me about rail transport wasn't wrong after all. I suppose the FAUN were used for recovery work etc.

Stephane,

Was the FMSU a sub-unit of the Service Battalion ?

Luc,

I look forward to seeing Stephane's picture on your site. Would it be possible to convert the Trumpeter trailer to the type as used by FMSU ?

Thanks again.

Alfred

luc desormeaux
luc desormeaux

February 21st, 2004, 1:15 pm #6

Alfred,
I have also the Trumpeter kit on the shelf waiting..
But ,as Stephane told me, the Trumpeter kit is different in many points:
Look at the kit an look at the picture.If you look carefully, you will see that the cab as a different shape in the front,and on the side.Also one version (i don't remember wich one) is water cooled while the other is air cooled( different layout for motor) and the biggest difference ( i hope you like to scrathbuit here!) is the trailer.The one in the kit as 6 axle and the canadian use the 4 axle version with bigger tires.
I'm in the process of collecting more information for the project( yes, i will try to do it !!)and will come back if i found something,

keep modeling !!!!
luc

Stephane Parent
Stephane Parent

February 22nd, 2004, 11:34 pm #7

Stephane, Luc,

Thank you very much for the information. So the guy that told me about rail transport wasn't wrong after all. I suppose the FAUN were used for recovery work etc.

Stephane,

Luc,

I look forward to seeing Stephane's picture on your site. Would it be possible to convert the Trumpeter trailer to the type as used by FMSU ?

Thanks again.

Alfred

FMSU was created as a third line unit, separate from the Service Battalion, that acted as a go between with the NATO depots and various Corps we interacted with and the Canadian Brigade.

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

February 23rd, 2004, 3:32 pm #8

Stephane, Luc,

Stephane,

Luc,

Thanks again.

Alfred

I was surprised that the amoured people never seen or heard about Canadian tank transporters. What you have explained make sense now. The FMSU were not created to serve the armour unit directly. That is very iteresting.

Thanks again

Alfred

September 26th, 2004, 6:09 pm #9

FMSU was created as a third line unit, separate from the Service Battalion, that acted as a go between with the NATO depots and various Corps we interacted with and the Canadian Brigade.
Recently made the acquaintance of a fellow who was a Faun driver in FMSU in Germany, and he's going to look for any photos he's got. I'll scan and upload whatever I get from him.

Cheers,
JP

November 24th, 2004, 12:39 am #10

Here's a few Faun images taken by FMSU personnel in Germany during the late 80's - early 90's.

Cheers,
JP
Last edited by MapleLeafModels on November 26th, 2004, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.