Canadian Centurion Mk.11 "Update"

Canadian Centurion Mk.11 "Update"

March 31st, 2007, 5:53 pm #1

The Centurion is almost done and ready for painting. So tell me if it is something wrong before i started to painted.
Like i said the Kit is from AFV-Club. The white parts are from Legends productions from the Aussie Centurion.The gun mauntlet is from an old Tamiya Centurion kit modified with tamiya putty.
Here the pics

Lucas

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

March 31st, 2007, 7:31 pm #2

Lucas,

Sorry to have to do this but there are a few things that need adjustment.

-the .50 cal mount needs to be moved further to front of the hatch ring...the right leg of the mount should be about 3-4 mm from the guard on the commander's scissor periscope sight.

-there should be both the .30 Cal and .50 Cal in the mantlet...like the mantlet supplied in the kit that is used for the Aussie Mk.5/1.

-the fire extinguishers you have mounted are the older British style. The Canadians used a more modern style like currently used on modern British tanks...Accurate Armour makes some.

-the driver's windscreen bin should be mounted on the hull to the left of the driver's hatch...it covers the small filler cap for the water resevoir and the left edge of the bin is pretty much flush with the upper hull edge.

-the tank telephone mounted on the 100 gallon fuel tank should be upright and not sideways...a cable runs from the box to the hull rear.

-there should be bolt mounts on the 100 gallon fuel tank and on the turret roof to the rear of the loader's hatch to carry spare road wheels...two bolts on the turret and three on the fuel tank.

-the antenna mount behind the loader's hatch is in the wrong position. It should be where the covered over antenna mount is behind the commander's hatch.

I hope this does not hurt your build. I guess the lesson learned is to try and get reference material before starting to build....now you have found this site so things will be better for you...especially if you are writing an article.

March 31st, 2007, 8:24 pm #3

LoL
I laughing because i did not expect that will be soooooo much. I laugh about myself. But yes you are right. It is very hard to find some good references about this themes. Especially in Germany. It is my first project which is so difficult....I try to find the book about the Canadian Centurion but i was not lucky. I search the web and i found nothing except you guys and that was very late .
You dont have to be sorry to tell me what is wrong...this is better for me.
I will change all the things you told me and i will send the pictures.
When the article is done i will thank you in the german model magazine with the link of your Forum and your shop.

Lucas

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

March 31st, 2007, 8:59 pm #4

Any time someone builds a Canadian vehicle that is a good thing.

This is not my site nor is Maple Leaf Models my shop...I just seem to know a bit about Canadian Centurions.

JP Morgan is the one that started this site and owns and runs Maple Leaf Models.

There is a book you can pick up in Germany that will help you out:

Das Ahornblat in Germany

http://www.christian-schmidt-fachbuchha ... 627a922e8c

There is also this one:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... wow009.htm

Any other questions just ask.

Which magazine are you writing the article for?

March 31st, 2007, 9:12 pm #5

The magazine i write for is the Model Fan. This is my fifth article about a modern theme. I wrote about the australian Centurion ARVMk.2 from Accurate Armour...all the other articles were standard modern themes. I write only modern AFVs for this magazine. I became the kit from the owner of the magazine and i thought you build something different. I surf in the web and i found the page armoured acorn. Thats was for me a reason to make a canadian centurion.
You know im bored everytime i see something standard in the web or in any magazine.
And i think thats my problem...i can not build something normal. Im searcing everytime for a challenge especially in the modern era.

Thanks for the links i didnt know them

Lucas

March 31st, 2007, 10:54 pm #6

Any time someone builds a Canadian vehicle that is a good thing.

This is not my site nor is Maple Leaf Models my shop...I just seem to know a bit about Canadian Centurions.

JP Morgan is the one that started this site and owns and runs Maple Leaf Models.

There is a book you can pick up in Germany that will help you out:

Das Ahornblat in Germany

http://www.christian-schmidt-fachbuchha ... 627a922e8c

There is also this one:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... wow009.htm

Any other questions just ask.

Which magazine are you writing the article for?
Hey Jason, wasn't there someone on Armorama doing a Mk.11? I could only find a Mk.5 build, but I recall seeing someone putting on the .50 mount on a Cent too I thought.

Jim

March 31st, 2007, 11:22 pm #7

Jim,

Bob Read here in Calgary was building one and posting WIP stuff but I haven't seen any updates for quite a while.

April 8th, 2007, 5:10 am #8

Hi

Just saw this post and this site for the first time. It was Jason Bobrowich that put me on to this (thanks Jason!!).

I'm the one building a Mk 11 LR and posting my WIP on Armorama but I haven't taken any pics in awhile and I haven't posted about it lately. I'm trying to finish it up this weekend but it's going to be tight. I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

thanks;
Bob Read

April 8th, 2007, 9:04 pm #9

Hi;

Does anyone have a picture of the phone box on the 100gal tank that would show me where the cable is attached (per Jason's comment: "a cable runs from the box to the hull rear.")? I've mounted it and now I want to attach the cable and I don't know where it goes.

thanks in advance.....

Bob

April 8th, 2007, 10:23 pm #10

Bob,

Here you go. All you really have to do is run a piece that looks like the cover from the hull to the tank telephone. The metal cover was over the cable.