BOBCAT APC

December 19th, 2005, 12:56 pm #1

Greetings. I was referred to this site by Michael Dorosh, from the Army.ca site where I am a frequent fixture. I am interested in gathering info on the Bobcat APC that Canada developed (but never fielded) in the 1950s. I know that a single example survives in the RCAC Tank Park in Borden, and that there was a demonstration film in existence at one time (it was listed in the CF Film Catalogue back in the 1970s).

From posters on Army.ca I have learned that the Bobcat had a poorly funded design process, and a number of design flaws. It was apparently intended to field a range of variants including a SP Arty variant.

Has anybody ever seen the film, or have any more info on this interesting Canadian foray into independent AFV design?

Cheers

December 19th, 2005, 1:39 pm #2

I've got some limited Bobcat references, including portions of the Bobcat manual somewhere - hopefully I can find it. At least we've got the lone survivor in Borden - other vehicle designs have been completely eradicated. I've not seen the film, and I'm interested to see it (if possible).

Here are a couple of digital images (from unknown internet sources) I have of the Bobcat, including the SP variant -

There was also the XA-20 APC concept, but I don't know if it was parallel to the Bobcat, part of the Bobcat development, or a competing design altogether. Looks like it would have a decent cross-country ride, but it would definitely be a tad cramped inside! Anyone with info on it?

(unknown internet sources)

Cheers,
JP

December 19th, 2005, 2:20 pm #3

Greetings. I was referred to this site by Michael Dorosh, from the Army.ca site where I am a frequent fixture. I am interested in gathering info on the Bobcat APC that Canada developed (but never fielded) in the 1950s. I know that a single example survives in the RCAC Tank Park in Borden, and that there was a demonstration film in existence at one time (it was listed in the CF Film Catalogue back in the 1970s).

From posters on Army.ca I have learned that the Bobcat had a poorly funded design process, and a number of design flaws. It was apparently intended to field a range of variants including a SP Arty variant.

Has anybody ever seen the film, or have any more info on this interesting Canadian foray into independent AFV design?

Cheers
About 18 months ago, I found several files listed at the Library and Archives of Canada that had to do with the Bobcat. I requested them but was told that the files had to go to DND for clearance, so I'm still waiting to see them. Hopefully they will provide enough detail for an article on the beast, but until that day comes, here are some photos I obtained from the CF Joint Imagery Centre to accompany said article.

Cheers!
Dana

December 19th, 2005, 6:04 pm #4

Great shots, Dana! Good to see some clear shots of it. Very interesting to see some of the features of the Bobcat which, at the time were 'revolutionary', but are common today. For example, a protected weapons station, sloped armour where possible (particularly on the frontal arc), vision ports for the 'mushrooms' in the back, thought put into alternate uses/layouts/armaments, etc.

Like the Avro Arrow, it's easy to see how this design influenced others, and thought-provoking to think how it would've played its part had it gone into full production.

Rob Kelly
Rob Kelly

December 20th, 2005, 1:08 pm #5

There was a vehicle made for the old 12 inch GI Joe's that was based on the Bobcat. It was made by Irwin toys in the late '60s or early '70s. There are some great photos at http://www.users.vance.net/grayarea/1277minesweep.html
They are hard to find and are rather valuable.

December 20th, 2005, 1:42 pm #6

Most interesting. Another forgotten Canadian military history story. I look forward to seeing the IS book. Cheers

Jim Caddo
Jim Caddo

January 1st, 2006, 6:54 am #7

Cheers
Was doing some surfing and found that Service Publications is putting out a book on the "The Bobcat APC in Canadian Service" .It is by Doug Knight.

http://www.servicepub.com/

These guys also have a bunch of other great looking books.I'm going to order "The Leopard in Canadian Service" book so I'll post what I think of them.(I've seen some of their WW2 books and they don't look to bad)

Jim

Jim Caddo
Jim Caddo

January 1st, 2006, 7:20 am #8

n/t