AVGP air portable in a Herc?

AVGP air portable in a Herc?

May 30th, 2013, 7:11 pm #1

Quick question, is the AVGP family Herc friendly? I was discussing this with a friend re: a future build. I was sure that it was, but was unsure if you needed to remove the turret to get it in a Herc? Any of you that are wiser than me shed some light? Even better does anyone have a pics of loading or off loading?

Thanks,

Mark

May 30th, 2013, 8:24 pm #2

with the radar down and the suspension compressed, and I think that is same width as the AVGP and probably not as high.

GD

Mark Minnis
Mark Minnis

May 30th, 2013, 8:41 pm #3

I know you can squeeze a bone stock M-113 in there in fact 2 I think. I have read somewhere that you can get a Coyote in a Herc with the turret removed. Just not sure what would be needed to get a Grizzly or Cougar in there.

May 30th, 2013, 9:24 pm #4

Quick question, is the AVGP family Herc friendly? I was discussing this with a friend re: a future build. I was sure that it was, but was unsure if you needed to remove the turret to get it in a Herc? Any of you that are wiser than me shed some light? Even better does anyone have a pics of loading or off loading?

Thanks,

Mark
I did one airlift Calgary to Brandon in 1980. Each chalk was 1 x Grizzly and 1 x 5/4 ton. No mods to any of the vehicles, although it was a squeeze getting the FSCC (5/4 ton Ops Van) out - needed to hold down the springs on the AMUs. No photos but each vehicle backed in and drove off. I suspect that the Grizzlies went on first with the 5/4 closest to the ramp for centre of balance issues.

Bob
Last edited by India9B on May 30th, 2013, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2013, 10:13 pm #5

Thanks,

Mark
The AVGP is gonna be dwarfed by the Herc in that dio.

GD

May 31st, 2013, 3:23 am #6

I know you can squeeze a bone stock M-113 in there in fact 2 I think. I have read somewhere that you can get a Coyote in a Herc with the turret removed. Just not sure what would be needed to get a Grizzly or Cougar in there.
We had to remove the laser warning receiver to just fit in , and lower the tire pressure, tight but nice.....

Anthony

May 31st, 2013, 10:37 pm #7

The AVGP is gonna be dwarfed by the Herc in that dio.

GD
Yep looking to build something with some of the 72nd stuff I have. Not sure how it will work. A guy I work with had some neat ideas, he is 55 and just getting into modeling.

Mark

June 1st, 2013, 1:27 am #8

Never seen that done with an aircraft. Might look neat to see a wing and the rear fuselage / empennage with a couple AVGP.

GD