a somewhat Canadian connection

3:50 AM - Sep 28, 2012 #1

Pic from Euro by Olaf...going to guess this is from BVM. AVGP on the left looks Chilean, but the one with TCM-20 guns (?), I have no idea who used that. Wonder when Trumpeter will add these to their catalog?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oSDv ... 090190.JPG

GD

5:47 AM - Sep 28, 2012 #2

7:37 PM - Sep 28, 2012 #3

Pic from Euro by Olaf...going to guess this is from BVM. AVGP on the left looks Chilean, but the one with TCM-20 guns (?), I have no idea who used that. Wonder when Trumpeter will add these to their catalog?

GD
Graeme,

That whole set of photos is of releases from the BVM series from Azimut, correct. The one they didn't have was the BTR-60 with AML-90 turret (Djibouti one-off), but I hope to pick that up at the IPMS UK Nats. I didn't get either of the AVGP variants as I needed to check my references first too.

Cheers,

Olaf

7:39 PM - Sep 28, 2012 #4

Gary,

I had only one picture of that vehicle so far, so thanks for posting these. You wouldn't happen to have some of the AML-90 turreted variant too, would you? I'm having trouble finding anything, despite Didier saying that photos can be found online...

Thanks in advance,

Olaf

9:29 PM - Sep 28, 2012 #5

Graeme,

That whole set of photos is of releases from the BVM series from Azimut, correct. The one they didn't have was the BTR-60 with AML-90 turret (Djibouti one-off), but I hope to pick that up at the IPMS UK Nats. I didn't get either of the AVGP variants as I needed to check my references first too.

Cheers,

Olaf
I wonder why BVM didn't base their conversions on the Trumpeter kit? Maybe they had extra Italeri-based conversions kicking around?

I still say BVM should offer their AVGP turret from the Griz and TLAV kits as a stand-alone upgrade for Trump's kit.

I've got a couple pics of the tanky looking one, will post later.

GD

10:05 AM - Oct 03, 2012 #6

... that Azimut/BVM have a pile of Italeri LAVs somewhere, and are using those up.

Looking forward to the shots of the "tanky looking one", as they're devilishly hard to find...

Cheers,

Olaf

9:50 PM - Oct 13, 2012 #7

found on the interwebs...

GD

11:17 PM - Oct 13, 2012 #8

GD
It really looks versatile these vehicle adaptations. Yes our forces have newer gear, but why couldn't we upgrade our older fleet? Was it the wear and tear too much? Probably the mileage now strained the old fleet. Although a life extension plan, and modified upgrade packages, I think would have been a cheaper route for the forces.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

12:17 AM - Oct 14, 2012 #9

There was lots of talk about upgrading the AVGPs over the years...some of it was done...some of it wasn't. Much of it depended on the ORBAT and what was required for deployments or what was already in service on other platforms. Remember as well that the AVGP series wasn't likely designed to last from the 1970s into the 2000s.

The original AVGP requirememts called for four variants...Fire Support (Cougar), APC (Grizzly), ARV (Husky), and a TOW carrier (???)...obviously the last version never took shape and the TOW was mounted on the M113 and eventually the LAV III...and now gone the way of the Dodo.

Take a read of the info here about the WLAV-LE project...

http://www.casr.ca/bg-army-armour-avgp-wlav-le.htm

The simple fact is there were better vehicle platforms on the market over the years that would eventually be much better than the AVGP variants.

However...the AVGPs now make for some great What If / WOTIF projects. Keep an eye out for my Afghanistan deployed "Super Cougar" when the Trumpeter AVGP Late Cougar version is released.

7:09 AM - Oct 14, 2012 #10

Hi Jason
Thanks for the revelation to the AVGP. I wondered what the thinking was on the vehicle. To me it seemed to be cheaper to keep them and to upgrade the versions. The extended rear looks great for a what if project. Yes I guess the Forces made the right choice in selecting a larger platform for the tasks ahead for them.