Stuart Turner Compressor Flywheel

Is there an part that you really need or an engine you desire? Post it up here.
Ray Steam
Junior Member
Joined: 04 Jan 2014, 20:14

07 Oct 2017, 15:17 #11

Hi Phil,

I see your new acquisition has caused quite a stir!

Just measured this drive wheel for you, 4.5” diameter, 3/4” wide, with a 5/16” hole and four blade shaped spokes.

As I said in a pm to you, I have emailed Andy at Stuarts to see if there is any interest from them to produce this wheel again. If they no longer have the pattern, I am happy to lend them mine as a template. I have had no reply but will chase him on Monday. We know he will sell two of them....

I have got to go out shorty but will post some interesting photos for you in the morning.

Hope that helps?

Ray
Reply

MrMamod
Honorary Life Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 20:13

07 Oct 2017, 17:23 #12

Ray Steam wrote: Hi Phil,

I see your new acquisition has caused quite a stir!

Just measured this drive wheel for you, 4.5” diameter, 3/4” wide, with a 5/16” hole and four blade shaped spokes.

As I said in a pm to you, I have emailed Andy at Stuarts to see if there is any interest from them to produce this wheel again. If they no longer have the pattern, I am happy to lend them mine as a template. I have had no reply but will chase him on Monday. We know he will sell two of them....

I have got to go out shorty but will post some interesting photos for you in the morning.

Hope that helps?

Ray
Thanks Ray and I just love so one way or another it WILL get a flywheel and aa big thanks for your help .. Look forward to a PM from you with the photo's. 😉.
Finder of odd and old Things SOMETIMES
Reply

Burnmafingers
Steam Legend!!
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 20:30

07 Oct 2017, 19:45 #13

This is rather interesting regarding the flywheel size. I am positive that the flywheel on the example I owned was five inches in diameter and at the time of owning I found a collectors website in the US that quoted five inches also. It became a bit of a mission at the time for me to try and  confirm the flywheel diameter as the I could not find the diameter quoted in any Stuart literature or paperwork.

Also, if I recall correctly, a member on here purchased ST compressor and later sold on eBay for a very large sum. I remember that it was the owners of Stuart Turner themselves that won the auction who apparently purchased the compressor with a view to using it to enable them to reintroduce the model as castings. So hopefully Stuart will have dimensions and details available. This comment was based on what was posted on this forum a few years ago now.

Either way, I hope you can source a suitable flywheel for your compressor.
Fwibble

Monty
Reply

Ray Steam
Junior Member
Joined: 04 Jan 2014, 20:14

08 Oct 2017, 09:51 #14

Hi Phil,

Some photos to show what the drive wheel looks like and another with a practical use!

The compressor with reservoir was built as some form of educational set up, the one with the larger drive wheel came from a miniature railway in Devon where it had been used as part of the vacuum braking system.

Hope this helps?

Ray
IMG_0097.jpg
Used as part of vacuum braking system
Used as part of vacuum braking system
IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0093.jpg
Original drive wheel
Original drive wheel
IMG_0095.jpg
Reply

MrMamod
Honorary Life Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 20:13

08 Oct 2017, 15:30 #15

Thanks Ray and it sure looks nice in brown with the slanted vanes on the flywheel .
Finder of odd and old Things SOMETIMES
Reply

Maxwell
Steam Legend!!
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 14:37

12 Oct 2017, 19:28 #16

There is a reason for having the fan blades spokes (cooling) which is forcing the air through the heat sink blades on the compressor body. I believe I can provide you dimensions in 48 hrs, I just noticed this post. 
Image
Gone Fishing
Reply

MrMamod
Honorary Life Member
Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 20:13

12 Oct 2017, 19:50 #17

Maxwell wrote: There is a reason for having the fan blades spokes (cooling) which is forcing the air through the heat sink blades on the compressor body. I believe I can provide you dimensions in 48 hrs, I just noticed this post. 
Thanks Mike and it would be great to have another input and I sort of thought the spokes being flat and twisted was to do with cooling it down 😉 .
Finder of odd and old Things SOMETIMES
Reply

Maxwell
Steam Legend!!
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 14:37

12 Oct 2017, 23:45 #18

MrMamod wrote:
Maxwell wrote: There is a reason for having the fan blades spokes (cooling) which is forcing the air through the heat sink blades on the compressor body. I believe I can provide you dimensions in 48 hrs, I just noticed this post. 
Thanks Mike and it would be great to have another input and I sort of thought the spokes being flat and twisted was to do with cooling it down 😉 .
Phil, I just measured my Stuart factory built compressor. The flywheel diameter is 4.5" exactly, and the surface thickness is 18 mm. See photos below
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Image
Gone Fishing
Reply

Ray Steam
Junior Member
Joined: 04 Jan 2014, 20:14

13 Oct 2017, 08:00 #19

Hi Phil,

Just had a conversation with Andy at Stuarts.

They do not have the mould or pattern for this drive wheel but they do have a complete compressor and would consider using that drive wheel as the template for future castings.

The foundry is very busy at the moment but Andy will discuss with them about making these drive wheels.

So, there is some hope of you getting one. Failing that, we can revert to Plan B......

Hope that helps,

Ray
Reply

Maxwell
Steam Legend!!
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 14:37

13 Oct 2017, 14:54 #20

Ray, the reservoir version makes the compressor works as a vacuum pump too without risking any fluids getting into the cylinders..
Image
Gone Fishing
Reply