Moderator: Moderators

stirlinglads table

Stirling Lad

November 5th, 2012, 3:54 am #1

last year condensation ran a mock in my workshop, rusting engines and machines alike...

like on my drill column here, and other chucks and things..
I needed a heater under the bench i was working on at all times when in the shed during the deep winter months .. My hands would become too stiff to do the fiddly things.. it just was'nt a good situation at-all so i decided to get rid of all engines and start again when i'd improved the workshop..(well, all except my rizzo stirling engine as i know i'd never find another, and after David(stilldrillin) resurrecting it from the dead..I could'nt..

Anyway...
My workshop was just an ordinary wooden garage type shed with slightly different doors and a window

and the usual construction style on the inside too..

just one layer of tongue in groove pine between me and hypothermia..So what to do??? it would have to be done on the cheap as i'm skint so i started gathering any planks of wood i could get my hands on,, old pallets, fences, dismantled old beds,, you name it, i saved it.. but i needed insulation first so i got some cheap polythene sheeting from toolstation for about 3 for 100 sq meters. then i got wind of an offer at wickes diy store .. 14 sq meter of mineral wool loft insulation for 5.... i'll have some of that..bought 2 rolls but when i went back for more it was now 15 So i put an ad in my local gumtree and freecycle sites and was inundated with rolls and half rolls of loft insulation...
.. to work...

So walls lined then boarded over with half inch thick planks then line the roof in the same way with poly and wool but i did'nt have enough wood to clad it so.....scanning gumtree and freecycle again for ideas when i come across 25 packing boxes free to a good home :lol:

I thought that will do until such times as i can gather enough hardboard or ply...

and a couple of survival blankets to reflect light down..

So far so good.. i'm only out of pocket for polythene 3 mineral wool 10 and some screws and petrol..15 ish...
But i was aware that the worst draughts came from the floor..
then last week my daughter bought me a load of old laminate flooring from one of her pals...yippee!! perfect..(with the underlay stuff too)

well almost perfect... i was about 2 or 3 sq meter short .
then the very next day i get an email response to an ad i put in freecycle weeks earlier, asking if i still needed old laminate flooring and could i collect it asap?........ sure can.....

ok its a different colour but who cares...
to work...

But work has come to a halt till tomorrow..

As i have 25 litres of homemade plum wine hidden deep within the cardboard box but i'll rack it of tomorrow into another container and let it settle again for another month but if it was'nt for that,, my workshop would have been finished tonight...
but its really made a huge difference already as i only needed the heater on for half an hour early last evening and theres a ground frost here tonight...
So there you have it.. how to insulate your workshop on the cheap the jock mcscrooge way... :thumb:
And now i can start all over again collecting engines, now i have somewhere to keep them and work on them...
Sorry for the disappointing lack of fancy engines... maybe next year...
cheers...
...Mike...
lif is too short.

mogogear
Honorary Life Member

November 5th, 2012, 4:09 am #2

You have been ( and will be still) quite busy !!

Protect those engines--well done! :D
Lagniappe readily offered and accepted,

Mo (greg)

His Most Noble Lord Admiral Mo, the Apocalyptic of Old Tonbridge Wafers

http://gerddi.blogspot.com/

Stirling Lad

November 5th, 2012, 5:22 am #3

Yep, i sure have Greg but hopefully it'll have been worth it and i can start getting back into our happy hobby once again without
the biting cold spoiling all the fun  :sick:

..Mike..
lif is too short.

xlchainsaw
Steam Supreme Being

November 5th, 2012, 7:09 am #4

just excellent...im glad you have it sorted.... back in 1880s in tasmania ....houses were lined out with strips of rough timber....to this you added newspaper :D  read the paper and paste it on the wall  :D very cosy indeed.

Narrow Minded

November 5th, 2012, 7:18 am #5

Top Notch man-cave! :D

Sandman
Supermoderator

November 5th, 2012, 8:46 am #6

That should sort things out.

No excuse for delaying all those urgent jobs now. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

magpie38
Honorary Life Member

November 5th, 2012, 9:00 am #7

thats a great workshop

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

November 5th, 2012, 10:03 am #8

This is why I have my workshop in the spare bedroom - nice and warm and dry all year round 8)
Have Fun
Roly

"The human capacity to manage land is great, and the capacity for destruction even greater." (Mike Pay)
rolywilliams.com
youtube.com/user/RolyWilliams

kd02
Steam Legend!!

November 5th, 2012, 11:08 am #9

Great ideas on how to insulate your workshop, now to start collecting them engines again and display them at STWWW 2013,  :D
,,,,,,,,,,,,,KEITH,,,,,,,,,,,,,

IF ALCOHOL IS BAD FOR THE BRAIN, WHY DOES MINE ALLOW ME TO DRINK SO MUCH!

MrDuck
Steam God!

November 5th, 2012, 11:12 am #10

That's a nice steam shed :D
Et in Arcadia Ego