Moderator: Moderators

MrMamod
Honorary Life Member
MrMamod
Honorary Life Member

4:39 PM - Sep 07, 2018 #11

Real cool find Jan and when I was a nipper my Saturday morning job was turning the mangle/wringer handle for my Mum.
Desperately seeking ( NOT Susan ) Mamod Minor Burners of ALL types :-)

pitchy
Steam Supreme Being
pitchy
Steam Supreme Being

8:36 PM - Sep 07, 2018 #12

My buddy Jan always posts something so cool i gotta have one, bought one like it but didn`t get the bargain you did.
So today we made a stand for it and also have the plunger coming.

Lenn
USAF-72-76

Disclaimer, all material is for personal use only always consult an expert before building a boiler.

Because I Can.

classixs
Steam Supreme Being

10:30 AM - Sep 09, 2018 #13

WOW, that stand looks great !

Will certainly be keeping an eye out for updates on this 🙂
Cheers
Jan

pitchy
Steam Supreme Being
pitchy
Steam Supreme Being

11:53 AM - Sep 09, 2018 #14

Thanks Jan i wasn`t sure if i should post it on your thread hope ya didn`t mind.
It doesn`t fold like originals did but that`s ok, have to make a tilting run off board today.
Lenn
USAF-72-76

Disclaimer, all material is for personal use only always consult an expert before building a boiler.

Because I Can.

classixs
Steam Supreme Being

12:02 PM - Sep 09, 2018 #15

Lenn, please feel free to post anything in threads i´ve started, i sincerely enjoy your projects.

Keep us posted on that run off board please :-)
Cheers
Jan

Stoker
Honorary Life Member

2:57 PM - Sep 09, 2018 #16

I also got to spend some real time on a wringer crank in my youth. A more modern design to be sure, that was permanently mounted on a pivot that was attached to the tub type washing machine, such that it could be swung out over the sink to use, or swung back out of the way when not in use.

Not really well suited to steam power in my opinion, unless it is intended to just run free. Otherwise a very powerful steam engine with large flywheel would need to be used, as just a fold or two of wet cloth going through would more than triple the load on the crank, and would easily stall out one of our little steam engines. I'd also advise that if it is powered up to the level of fully operational under steam power, then it would pose a serious risk to a careless user.

Cool find Jan ... it would go well with the washboards we have gracing our laundry walls!
Are we having fun yet?
Yeow!

classixs
Steam Supreme Being

3:05 PM - Sep 09, 2018 #17

Come to think of it, i do have an old washboard here as well 🙂

Being somewhat inspired by Lenn´s current project, i just might have to find a fitting tub to complete the setup.
...If for nothing else, then to fill out the last few square feet here, not allready cluttered with "days long gone" stuff 😅
Cheers
Jan

pitchy
Steam Supreme Being
pitchy
Steam Supreme Being

4:57 PM - Sep 09, 2018 #18

Just finished the tilt board, may have to modify a little after we get the wringer on it.
If ya do a search on ebay for wash tub stands ya can see some with this board, also look for wash plunger agitators they look like a funnel on a stick.

Lenn
USAF-72-76

Because I Can.

classixs
Steam Supreme Being

7:31 PM - Sep 09, 2018 #19

Looks very well made Lenn, good job !

Now it just need the plunger and the wringer, so we can get a "live" demonstration 😉
Cheers
Jan

pitchy
Steam Supreme Being
pitchy
Steam Supreme Being

7:36 PM - Sep 09, 2018 #20

Thanks bud, should be Wed or Thursday.
Lenn
USAF-72-76

Because I Can.