Marklin 4161 D 11 Twin cylinder steam engine

The board to show off your restoration skills.

Moderator: Moderators

steamman

May 14th, 2018, 10:42 am #21

The colour scheme for my Marklin was based as far as possible on other examples I had seen on the Internet. The green on the firebox is not the correct shade but is a far improvement on the all black finish my originally had. On taking of the red and black paint I found traces of the original colours for the engine bed and flywheel.

Marklin feed pumps do occasionally appear on Ebay where I found mine a few years ago.
Collector of vintage steam engines, toys, musical boxes and antiques since 1998

steamman

May 14th, 2018, 5:12 pm #22

I found this advert for Marklin 4161 on the internet some time ago. It is from a catalog for the Switzerland market dated 1934 ( although my books all say that Marklin 4161 was produced from 1923-28) and lists the prices for both sizes of  model. Marklin 4161/94/11 cost Fr 245, does anyone know what that would be?
marklin steam engine.jpg
Collector of vintage steam engines, toys, musical boxes and antiques since 1998

txlabman
Hero Steamer

May 14th, 2018, 5:15 pm #23

steamman wrote: I found this advert for Marklin 4161 on the internet some time ago. It is from a catalog for the Switzerland market dated 1934 ( although my books all say that Marklin 4161 was produced from 1923-28) and lists the prices for both sizes of  model. Marklin 4161/94/11 cost Fr 245, does anyone know what that would be?
Fr would be Germán or Swiss Francs (pre €). 

My best guess. 

KevinBtoolmaker
Forum Newbie

May 14th, 2018, 10:50 pm #24

I printed that page and showed my German Mother Inlaw, who we take care of, she got a big kick out of it and was a little amazed. She said they used German marx and not franks so who knows.
   I want to give a big Thank You to Danny Nuvolari for the advice on getting the valves freed up. My you know what got a little puckered while trying but so far so good, only 2 others still soaking. The sight glass was cracked from the get go and I finished it off into 2 pieces now, hope I can find some glass tube to replace it.
   Has anyone ever used a company called McMaster Carr, I order from them on occasion the odd hard to find items.

Freespawn
Honorary Life Member

May 15th, 2018, 7:02 pm #25

Most of the marklin threads are not standard they made there own taps and dies so if you can make your own you will be ok but there expensive to have made :p
I have made a few for restorations on my marklin engine’s.

KevinBtoolmaker
Forum Newbie

May 16th, 2018, 6:05 pm #26

In order to make a metric tap around 1.5 mm I would have to single point the thread on a piece of 1.5 mm diameter tool steel in a lathe capable of doing metric threads then heat treat the steel, draw and then grind the fluted cutting edges. I've made a wide variety of special cutting tools in the past but never a tap that small.
   Dan
Would you know of a place were I could purchase such tooling? I think I would rather buy them if the cost is reasonable for such tools.

nuvolari
Steam fanatic

May 16th, 2018, 6:19 pm #27

Here you have one
https://m.ebay.de/itm/Gewindebohrer-Gew ... lrK2PA99TQ

If you want more go to eBay.de and give in “ M1.5 tap”

Cheers,
Danny
Last edited by nuvolari on May 16th, 2018, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Das lied schläft in der Maschine"
(the song sleeps in the machine)
lyrics Einsturzende Neubauten song "Nnnaaamm"

http://stoomwereld.webnode.be

Freespawn
Honorary Life Member

May 16th, 2018, 6:34 pm #28

KevinBtoolmaker wrote:    In order to make a metric tap around 1.5 mm I would have to single point the thread on a piece of 1.5 mm diameter tool steel in a lathe capable of doing metric threads then heat treat the steel, draw and then grind the fluted cutting edges. I've made a wide variety of special cutting tools in the past but never a tap that small.
   Dan
Would you know of a place were I could purchase such tooling? I think I would rather buy them if the cost is reasonable for such tools.
I used Tracy tools for some obscure taps but they don’t stock all the different sizes and was quoted £450 for a tap an die set to be made so that’s when I decided to have a go myself :)

nuvolari
Steam fanatic

May 16th, 2018, 7:06 pm #29

I don’t understand what’s the problem here.
A complete set is available for 50€
It contains male and female taps ranging from 1mm up to 2.5mm.
Together with the tapholders.
I’ve got mine for a few years now with some respect they last you a long time.

And are you sure it’s 1.5 mm Märklin normally uses 1.6mm
"Das lied schläft in der Maschine"
(the song sleeps in the machine)
lyrics Einsturzende Neubauten song "Nnnaaamm"

http://stoomwereld.webnode.be

KevinBtoolmaker
Forum Newbie

May 17th, 2018, 1:00 am #30

Sorry that was just a brain fart should have been 1.6 mm. But what are some of the metric thread sizes I should have for this Marklin? Did they have thread standards back in the day?