Mamod SA1 - How to open boiler?

If you have found a handy hint in regards to your steam engine, put it here and let others know. If you need help regarding steam engines, post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

internett
Forum Newbie
internett
Forum Newbie

May 25th, 2018, 4:01 pm #21

The safety valve is working properly (checked it before starting the machine first time)

Sorry but so far I dont get it:

There are like to "rivets" one inside the boiler and anotherone below the stearing wheel.
The boiler is leaking so it means that the problem is around the rivet from inside the boiler.

So how can I replave this one without opening the boiler? Putting a new rivet from the other side (even no clue how to fix this one?) would not solve the leaking part of the boiler.

The radiotor stop leak would probably for sure fill the exhaus pipe... so not my favorite option.

Pete the steam
Honorary Life Member

May 25th, 2018, 4:07 pm #22

All the rivets are put in from the outside.
My real name is FRIDAY. When I was born me Dad looked at me and said to me Mam..........
'We'd better call it a day'

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

May 25th, 2018, 4:40 pm #23

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet#Blind_rivets for a description of pop rivets (aka blind rivets) and how they work. They are inserted from the outside and, using the proper tool, they pull the two pieces together. In this case, the two pieces are the boiler and the bulkhead. They are available in plain or self sealing versions, and in a variety of materials. You must use the copper self sealing ones. 
Have Fun
Roly

"Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit" (Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948))
rolywilliams.com
youtube.com/user/RolyWilliams

Damnfmaschine

May 26th, 2018, 2:10 am #24

internett wrote:The radiotor stop leak would probably for sure fill the exhaus pipe... so not my favorite option.
Radiator Stop Leak used on this one; no blockages anywhere except on the leak.
After a few boil-ups the machine was drained and flushed several times.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92631&p=1312611&hil ... s#p1312611

And a link to the video.
Steam Toys; more like an 'Obsession' rather than a 'Hobby'.

Cheers,
Wallterwall Walter

Cbwho
Cbwho

May 26th, 2018, 11:22 am #25

Stop leak is designed for hot pressure systems with fine passages. Exactly the same conditions... ;)
Thanks