Moderator: Moderators

Alan 63'
Steam fanatic
Alan 63'
Steam fanatic

May 22nd, 2018, 9:33 pm #11

You've had some great advice and I cannot add anything more that what has been said. A very good shorty.
Thanks Alan.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

Cbwho
Cbwho

May 22nd, 2018, 11:59 pm #12

Rolling Boil wrote:How does it go in reverse? Is it the same, worse or better?
Also worth checking if the engine frame is square and also not 'tipped' a little on the firebox.
The levers can be a little awkward but I have found that swapping them swiftly between forward and reverse can get them to settle in place.
I love what you've done with it and don't fret - it will run in the end, they always do

Graham
Graham, I think you figured it out. I have the frame different than stock. It is raised a few millimeters from the firebox due to nuts intervening. I didn't want to rivet it on. I think that may have rotated the cylinder in relation to the frame.

I found that the port hole lever is rotated the the left in the picture. It runs best for reverse when the lever isn't all the way to the right and runs best rotated to the left all the way. I have a chainsaw file and could remove a few millimeters on the left side of the lever if the frame cannot be adjusted. I don't want to use rivets as I may want to take it apart again.

I am thinking of adding a drive reduction as I have plenty of mecanno parts.
Thanks

Rolling Boil
Steam Legend!!

May 23rd, 2018, 7:12 am #13

Cbwho wrote:
Rolling Boil wrote:How does it go in reverse? Is it the same, worse or better?
Also worth checking if the engine frame is square and also not 'tipped' a little on the firebox.
The levers can be a little awkward but I have found that swapping them swiftly between forward and reverse can get them to settle in place.
I love what you've done with it and don't fret - it will run in the end, they always do

Graham
Graham, I think you figured it out. I have the frame different than stock. It is raised a few millimeters from the firebox due to nuts intervening. I didn't want to rivet it on. I think that may have rotated the cylinder in relation to the frame.

I found that the port hole lever is rotated the the left in the picture. It runs best for reverse when the lever isn't all the way to the right and runs best rotated to the left all the way. I have a chainsaw file and could remove a few millimeters on the left side of the lever if the frame cannot be adjusted. I don't want to use rivets as I may want to take it apart again.

I am thinking of adding a drive reduction as I have plenty of mecanno parts.
Excellent! I've had a few occasions where I haven't quite aligned it, or the frame has just become a little bent out of true and I've had to redo it. The TE1s with an exhaust valve choke seem to be far more tolerant, usually running fine but rather clattery. The TE1a s thought don't seem to like it at all.
If I'm honest one of the major reasons I much prefer TE1s to TE1as is that they haven't got that flippin' reversing lever! A couple of my newer ones will only stay in the intermediate position if you raise steam with it left open in that position. Then you can move it back and forth at will. But if you raise steam in the neutral position they continually jump out of the slow setting to full power.......go figure...it's not a problem, but I've no idea why!!!
Liking the meccano plan!

Graham

Cbwho
Cbwho

May 24th, 2018, 11:19 am #14

Btw, those rare push button whistles are rare for a reason!
Thanks

MrMamod
Honorary Life Member
MrMamod
Honorary Life Member

May 24th, 2018, 4:42 pm #15

Cbwho wrote: Btw, those rare push button whistles are rare for a reason!
Haha that's because I got them allΒ πŸ˜€ ..
Desperately seeking ( NOT Susan ) Mamod Minor Burners of ALL types :-)

Cbwho
Cbwho

May 28th, 2018, 7:01 pm #16

I notched the lever and the engine runs much better at that setting but the lever pops out so I will need to create a new notch with a chisel...

;)

Thanks

Cbwho
Cbwho

May 31st, 2018, 3:28 am #17

I have a once bent, repaired bodgey knackered crankshaft on the engine, I wonder if the throw length is right?

;)

Thanks

Dr. Rog
Steam Supreme Being

June 5th, 2018, 7:23 pm #18

Throw is rarely a problem. Why are you concerned?
Cheers Rog https://www.youtube.com/user/DrRogB/videos New positive, and successful motto for 2017: carpe diem

Cbwho
Cbwho

August 4th, 2018, 12:47 am #19

My Bitsa Shorty upgraded with 2wd. I had to notch and punch the control arm to get it to be the best in forward - as you can see in video plenty of power. In reverse, it doesn't hold position but if you hold it in the sweet spot then powerful.

It really drives over everything and the side belts are small enough that there must be us slight bit of slip so it turns extremely well too.

;)

Thanks

Rolling Boil
Steam Legend!!

August 4th, 2018, 6:46 am #20

Unstoppable!πŸ‘

Graham