Moderator: Moderators

Look what arrived in the post office today.

crazydoug
Steam Legend!!

August 14th, 2018, 12:23 pm #1

This large package arrived from out of the country yesterday afternoon, and from the looks of the box, I was quite concerned about the condition of what was inside.  Fortunately, it was well packed, and survived the abuse.  This engine was an ebay purchase.  I knew there would be some work involved in getting it to run properly from the description in the ebay listing.  

However, the problems with it were a little understated by the seller.  I don't think, after a complete tear down of the engine, that the owner had ever had it running, as inside the valve chest was so tight a fit that it wouldn't allow the flywheel to turn without great force.  I had to machine it down some before it would slide properly.  Next was the fact that someone had had it nickel-plated, and whoever did the plating went a little overboard and plated all the mating surfaces on the bearings and crankshaft, as well as the cross slide guide and the piston and the valve rods.  

With everything bolted down tight, you could not force the flywheel around.  So, after boring out the bearings slightly and removing the nickel plating from all the other mating surfaces, it now runs probably for the first time in its life.  It still takes about 8 psi to run, so I may go back and do a little more finish work, as I would like to see it run on 3-4 psi.  All in all, I was still not disappointed with the purchase, as I feel I bought it at a very reasonable price.  I will also add the reproduction fly ball governor from Myers, who makes the replica castings for the engine, as well as the governor.  

tiger1john
Steam Legend!!

August 14th, 2018, 12:28 pm #2

Wowee. It has a chuff and a half for it's size. Once it's run in I imagine it will be even smoother. Very nice purchase, congratulations 
John
He who dies with the most toys wins

My YouTube videos
My Flickr photos

whitesands1
whitesands1

August 14th, 2018, 12:32 pm #3

Congratulations on a great purchase - it certainly ended up in the right hands and was all sorted in a very short space of time.

Once again, shocking packaging for such a lovely item, however, everything lined up otherwise for a most happy ending.

I am sure the seller should be pleased that you bought it too!

Fantastic outcome.

bennydaheeb
Steam fanatic

August 14th, 2018, 12:35 pm #4

Sweet Cretors repop. A beautiful engine for sure! Fine job getting it running square.
Benny- AKA Dr. Reverend Delmar MacReady, High Epocht-Church of the SubGenius, Doktor of the Forbidden Sciences.

jkbixby
Steam Legend!!

August 14th, 2018, 12:48 pm #5

Lovely engine running well - nice work!
Regards,
Larry

eriks
eriks

August 14th, 2018, 1:08 pm #6

That engine definitely has the good looks and impressive sound!

Cheers,
Eriks

steamfair
Forum Newbie

August 14th, 2018, 2:47 pm #7

Love the sound of that engine running!

Best regards,
Rob.
All things Kenneth Wells: http://www.kennethwellsengines.webs.com

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being

August 14th, 2018, 3:04 pm #8

Very nice engine 😊... happy you got it fixed with reasonable energy 👍🏻
Olivier

*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***

Celsius 100
Steam Supreme Being

August 14th, 2018, 3:48 pm #9

A wonderful delivery. 

classixs
Steam Supreme Being

August 14th, 2018, 5:59 pm #10

It´s a beaut, and what an amazing sound it makes... LOVE IT !

Well done getting it into running order, and congratulations on this very nice addition.
Cheers
Jan